My Office, Rearranged

I’ve already shown you what my office doesn’t look like. Would you like to see the way it does look now?

My Office

The new storage is comprised of two Effektiv units with doors, and knobs from Anthropologie. I framed a giant print of Eleanor because that photo just cracks me up. I credit Jules with the idea to frame such a large portrait, though she has been enamored with the idea since seeing Jen’s take on it. And really, I should give credit to my uncle too, a former professional photographer who has a similarly scaled photo of my sister and me as kids in his dining room.

My Office

My cubes (an IKEA expedit) have been moved across the room. They’re now where my desk used to be.

My Office

There’s a big open space in the middle of the room for Eleanor to play. Eventually we’d like to add either a play kitchen or a table and chairs for her.

My Office

Adding a second outlet to the room only cost $100, and it was well worth it. I was so limited when planning the layout before, and I love my desk’s new location.

My Office

The main reason I wanted a new desk was so that I could fit my keyboard and my Wacom tablet together on a pull-out tray. The Bond desk is working out nicely, and it was on sale in the store when I bought it. And isn’t that screensaver awesome? I found it via swissmiss.

Of course, all of this office rearranging is merely an intermediary step. I want to paint (the walls and the trim), and I would like a new rug and matching lamps. I’m leaning toward the ones I just wrote about (granny chic style). Still, the office already feels so much better.

109 Responses to “My Office, Rearranged”

1. eliza January 7, 2010 at 5:15 pm #

can i ask where you get your picture moulding hooks? the only ones i seem to be able to find (when people actually understand what i’m talking about!) are brass and that’s not what i want. thanks in advance!

2. Kristen January 7, 2010 at 6:48 pm #

Hey Nicole,

It is so nice to see how you have stored your books! It may be the librarian in me but I often find myself surfing home and design blogs wondering what everyone does with their reading collections! Your office looks fab! Does anyone else every wonder about stylishly storing books or is it just me?

Kristen

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2010 at 1:48 pm #

As former booksellers, my husband and I always try to read the titles whenever we see a photo of a bookshelf!

3. Elizabeth January 7, 2010 at 7:11 pm #

Love it! Where did you get the Eleanor photo printed and what do printing costs run like on something that big?

4. Samae January 7, 2010 at 7:33 pm #

I love it! that picture of Eleanor is just adorable. What a cutie pie.

5. katiedid January 7, 2010 at 9:58 pm #

Beautious! And I always love an expedit bookshelf. But the best “accessory” by far is the munchkin.

6. CreativeButterflyXOX January 7, 2010 at 11:48 pm #

I think it looks beautiful :)

7. KB January 8, 2010 at 7:14 am #

Here is a free version of that coolio screensaver–one that works with Mac OS X. It has both a 12hr and 24hr version

8. Lisa Gilbert January 8, 2010 at 7:35 am #

Gorgeous! As a professional photographer, I am so thrilled to see that you take your wall portraits seriously and have hung something sizable. An 8×10 is a snapshot; your portrait is true art. I hope others will be inspired to follow your example!

Love the entire room. Bravo.

9. adhocmom January 8, 2010 at 8:02 am #

Love the pouff! I have one too. . although my kid is nearly two now and she uses it to get in ALL kinds of trouble.
    Paula

10. Erica January 8, 2010 at 9:56 am #

Love it!! The oversized photo is just too perfect. I must copy you. Obvs it will have to be of my cat since I have no kids yet. An oversized photo of my cat is going to be so normal and not weird at all.

11. cassie January 8, 2010 at 9:57 am #

How do like that office chair? I was thinking about it myself but it seems a bit stiff and I was afraid the raised sides would get in the way.

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

I love the chair! I didn’t realize it tilted back until recently though (duh), and now I’m even happier with it.

12. Barbara January 8, 2010 at 10:02 am #

Where did you get the photo blown up that big??
    ___
    Barbara

13. Meredith from Penelope Loves Lists January 8, 2010 at 11:38 am #

Looks fantastic! I love the ampersand and the large photo of your daughter. So perfect.

14. Michaela @ The Gardener's Eden January 8, 2010 at 1:22 pm #

Well, I am new here. An in my limited experience, (the before and after shots and a couple of other posts), I am knocked-out. And that’s just my reaction to the baby. OK, so 6 month old nephew Morgan should meet your daughter ;)… not that I am match-making into the future or anything. But, seriously now… I love what you have done to the room. I found you on YHL’s FB favorite pages, (where my gardening blog is a favorite as well). Thought I would say hello and NICE JOB… all at the same time.
    Michaela

15. Diapers&Divas January 8, 2010 at 1:35 pm #

Wow. Total eye candy! The color of the room is perfect right down to screensaver! Awesome job and I love that everything is relatively budget friendly. :)

16. Propagatrix January 8, 2010 at 1:48 pm #

Thirding the pink pouffe love!

17. T January 9, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

nice office setup, i really like it! mixing the old with the new, it looks sleek but still has that old world charm (rotary phone and all). nice work!

18. Emily January 9, 2010 at 9:47 pm #

Gosh I want this office!!! You did such a great job on it!

19. MB January 10, 2010 at 10:56 am #

Your office looks fantastic! I enjoy reading your blog and it is a ‘lovely’ addition to my day. Many thanks!

20. christy January 10, 2010 at 11:43 am #

hi. i love everything you do!!! i was wondering if you could tell me where you got that wooden chair i see in several of your photos.

21. Shoshana January 12, 2010 at 4:53 am #

So talented as always. Tell me, please, does the expedit maintain its good looks in white? Do you think it could survive in a living room with a 5 year old and twin 2 year olds?

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

They hold up fairly well, though not perfectly. Still, for less than $200 where else could you get that kind of storage?

22. inês January 12, 2010 at 6:13 am #

Your office is lovely, as is your home.

xoxo,

Inês

23. graze January 12, 2010 at 9:27 am #

I’ve been following your blog for the longest time. You’ve got a lovely lovely home :)

Ah, and thank you for posting about the screensaver! If you didn’t, I would’ve never found your that they fixed it for Snow Leopard!

Happy 2010!

24. Cheryl January 12, 2010 at 9:30 am #

Hi Nicole! First time on your blog coming from ohdeedoh. I have an Elenaor too – she’s three. I love your Eleanor’s nursery – beautiful!

25. Lydia, Clueless Crafter January 12, 2010 at 10:29 am #

Really?! Is that what your office looks like? Those Effektiv units are quite smart looking. I have a small NYC corner in a shared office space with my hubby that I’m trying to make beautiful. If you get around to it, could you share a budget-friendly tip?

I am holing off on teaching myself to sew until I don’t have to look at a blank wall!

26. Natalie January 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

Your office is soooo cute and tidy – such an inspiration! I love the blown-up portrait and the colors (even if you do want to repaint!) I’m in the process of redoing my room at home and at my college apartment – great inspiration!! :)

27. Christine January 13, 2010 at 12:09 am #

Thanks for the source for the screen saver! I just downloaded it. Love the touches of pink everywhere- just beautiful. I wish my desk was as organized as your office.

28. Tori January 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

I love how you have combined practical yet chic in this space. Very inspirational!

29. christa jourdan January 14, 2010 at 5:05 pm #

Love the mini-transformation of your workspace…very inspiring. I have that same screen saver myself however, it’s not compatible once you upgrade to Snow Leopard…I was crushed. Thanks for the office inspiration though!

30. Dana January 15, 2010 at 11:09 am #

Hello Nicole. You have a beautiful space. I just posted something about you on my blog http://decoloveblog.com

Would you like to exchange links? I woul love to!!

Have a great weekend :)

31. Masha January 15, 2010 at 11:15 am #

I just love Eleanor’s picture in your office. :) The best thing to look at while you’re working :) Keeps things in perspective…

32. Abby January 20, 2010 at 9:32 pm #

I was wondering where you got your pink leather pouf. It’s amazing, and I want to get one for my nursery. Love the room!

33. Jane February 9, 2010 at 8:07 am #

Thanks so much for the screensaver, it is awesome!

34. Erin July 7, 2010 at 5:35 pm #

Where do you hide your printer, doll? Is it in the Effektiv?

I’m scratching my head over this as I make plans to decorate our guest bedroom/office. Thanks, Nicole!

1. January 7 | KellyGreenShoppe - January 7, 2010

[…] making if lovely Tags: making it lovely, pictures Today at 7:54 PM Leave a reply […]

2. Link Time! | My.BuzzCritic.com - January 9, 2010

[…] I love Nicole’s rearranged office. Maybe you’ll be inspired to make some changes at your home. – Making It Lovely […]

3. Screensaver « Basil Exposition - January 9, 2010

[…] found this screensaver via Making it Lovely, but the photo’s from Swiss Miss (I attempted taking my own photo but the shine off my window […]

4. Home Office Inspiration. | something to chase - August 25, 2010

[…] I am also super-obsessed with Nicole Bach’s home office over at makingitlovely.com. I can’t get enough of it! You can view her post on how she rearranged it here. […]

5. 2010 Recap: The Home | Making it Lovely - January 5, 2011

[…] I rearranged my office. Then I added a new mirror above my desk, and a groovy zigzag rug. Then I neglected to do anything else and haven’t shown you the space since. I shall rectify this in 2011. […]

6. Working on Where I Work | Making it Lovely - June 27, 2011

[…] started to make some changes to it last year. I rearranged the furniture, brought in a pretty mirror and a crazy zigzag rug, but that’s where the progress stopped. I […]

7. Fab March | Making it Lovely - March 12, 2013