Starting on the Trim

I woke up feeling somewhat energetic (I’ve been exhausted through the first 16 weeks of this pregnancy), so I skipped my morning shower and put on my ugly Ghostbusters Video Game t-shirt. You know what that means…

It’s time to start painting the trim. First up: finishing the kitchen.

Kitchen Window Painting in Progress

30 Responses to “Starting on the Trim”

1. alison September 3, 2010 at 10:43 am #

Hi Nicole! Looks like a fun project! I’m just wondering, what kind of precautions do you take to paint while you are pregnant? Do you use a low-VOC paint, what about primer!? Looking for some advice so I can keep busy at my house during my pregnancy! Thanks!

2. Christine September 3, 2010 at 10:47 am #

I can’t wait to see how your trim turns out!

And wouldn’t mind a photo of you in that awesome shirt while you’re at it ;)

3. Jamie September 3, 2010 at 10:54 am #

Already looking lighter and brighter!

4. jessibee September 3, 2010 at 11:12 am #

Awesome! It’s gonna look great!

5. Leanne September 3, 2010 at 11:21 am #

I have painted out all of the trim in our home…made a world of difference. I love the fresh crispness of it, but I had some grumpy by-standers. They “get it’ now. :)

6. JLR September 3, 2010 at 11:35 am #

My ghostbusters tee is a harvard sleep T!

7. Rob O. September 3, 2010 at 11:39 am #

Eager to see the results! By the way, you’ve gotta try Frog Tape instead of the dreaded blue masking tape.

8. Kristin September 3, 2010 at 11:54 am #

I also feeling energetic started tackling our jungle garden that I have barely touched all summer due to being pregnant! :)

Oh and I LOVE white woodwork, I agree with you on making your home yours! :)

9. val September 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

Go for it! Can’t wait to see how wonderful it looks :)

10. Corie September 3, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

It’s gonna look great, Nicole. So bright, fresh and clean! YAY!

11. Cecilia September 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

Hi Nicole, I have found your blog so much an inspiration that I’ve decided to tackle our ugly kitchen and paint the wood cabinets white. However I wanted to ask, how much do you need to sand the cabinets before painting? Any ideas on how you get an even coat etc? I know you did a paint tutorial for painting a room (which I’m tackling next!) but it would be SO helpful if you did a similar one for the cabinets and trim.

12. Lauren @ chezerbey September 3, 2010 at 1:06 pm #

Good luck! We are priming and painting our big remodel project this weekend. I just re-read your painting guide from a while back to refresh my memory…here we go!

13. Jen K September 3, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

Way to go! Getting motivated is the hardest part! Especially when you are pregnant and have a baby! I think it’s going to look great! I love painted trim : )

14. Momnivore's Dilemma September 3, 2010 at 1:22 pm #

@ Alison-

There are plenty of non-voc primers and paints out there. lowe’s has a well-priced non-voc collection…(primer included).

15. luuve September 3, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

oooh i cant wait! before and afters coming up! :)

ps i agree with the above…it looks brighter already!

16. Liz September 3, 2010 at 2:01 pm #

Oh my gosh. This gives me hope. I’ve totally flat-lined with exhaustion here lately. At least there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Can’t wait to see the results.

17. OwningSingle September 3, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

I bet it’s gonna look great. This is the weekend for home projects.

18. jane September 3, 2010 at 3:07 pm #

Hi Nicole,
    I painted all the trim in my house too and never looked back! Good for you for doing what will make you happy:) I still get people telling me what a shame it is that I painted. I tell them it is a good thing they don’t live there!

19. Rachel Ripardo September 3, 2010 at 6:39 pm #

Ghostbusters Video Game t-shirt?? That’s super cool!
    lol

20. Laura Gaskill September 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

Ha ha! What is it about pregnancy and painting? I painted every room in my home over the course of my pregnancy – I was spurred on by the fact that every color in my house (painted in a literal rainbow of hues by the previous owners) made me feel ill when I had morning sickness.

And I seem to remember certain photos of you painting your front porch while very pregnant with Eleanor. Good luck, Mama!

21. Shelly September 4, 2010 at 6:59 am #

Can’t wait to see it!

22. Aimee September 5, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

I look forward to seeing the finished project. :)

23. Carolyn September 5, 2010 at 7:23 pm #

You’re putting me to shame! I’ve been in the process of painting the trim in our house for two years now!!

24. Jacinta @ modelmumma September 6, 2010 at 12:49 am #

YAY, can’t wait to see how it turns out but already looking so much better.
    I’ll be doing mine some time in the near future. woo hoo.

25. Traveling Mama September 6, 2010 at 9:15 am #

Hope the painting was successful! I thought it was so funny about the trim… I’d paint it too! That’s the joy of it being yours- you can do whatever you want! Hugs from Copenhagen!

26. Anna's House September 7, 2010 at 6:38 am #

Wow, Nicole – I think’ll look great! I wanna see pictures of the finished thing!! :) x

27. christina winters September 7, 2010 at 8:08 am #

not to sound panicky, but did target stop carrying their lovely italian sodas? asking here because you have mentioned them before! :x

28. Erin Quinn September 7, 2010 at 11:12 am #

We’re working on parallel projects! We moved into our current house when I was 12 weeks pregnant, and I’m now at 25.5 weeks. It’s been slow going, but I’m painting all the wood trim in our house (and every room too). I got to banish the off-white walls and tacky platicy-oak trim. The pressure is on though- it is getting harder and harder to work while sitting on the floor.

29. Laura September 7, 2010 at 4:36 pm #

can’t wait to see the finished project, especially since we are in a similar dilemma.

30. Sandy September 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm #

Good luck painting it up! Your counter tops and back splash are gorgeous. A nice little touch up of the window frame seems just what your kitchen needs.