Mademoiselle Chair by Tapiovaara Design

Wow. Just wow. Isn’t it beautiful?

The Mademoiselle Chair is a Finnish design by Tapiovaara from the 1950s. (Thank you, bloesem, for the designer’s name!)

Look how lovely. It comes in pink! Well, “coral red”, technically.

FRYD’s Living Room

This just solidified my love for modern windsor chairs.

17 Responses to “Mademoiselle Chair by Tapiovaara Design”

1. Amanda December 8, 2010 at 9:09 am #

They are really cute in “coral red”

2. Jenae December 8, 2010 at 9:23 am #

What a modern chair; it’s gorgeous!

3. tiina { sparkling ink } December 8, 2010 at 9:25 am #

Oh, I have always loved all the chairs designed by Ilmari Tapiovaara. They represent the very nostalgic designs from a Finnish home with lots of memories. My sister has been looking for this vintage chair designed by him. I’d love to have one in my living room too. http://bit.ly/eBRgWX

4. gingiber December 8, 2010 at 10:47 am #

Wow! I saw this chair featured next to Oh Joy’s wallpaper recently! Love it!

5. Kate December 8, 2010 at 11:54 am #

Love the pink! I wonder if they’re comfortable?

6. Shannon (8foot6) December 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

These are GORGEOUS!

I just found a couple chairs you would love at Goodwill…$5 each!

A cross between these chairs and the other modern shaker chairs … haven’t quite identified them yet (need to get a hold of the June 2010 Style at Home magazine, apparently they are featured)…

7. elsie December 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

love, love, love. chairs are a major kryptonite for me. We have (…oh god this is embarrassing) 15 chairs, plus 3 office chairs on wheels, and a 6 seat dining set. And I wouldn’t hesitate to get this gorgeous one if I saw it for sale in a price range i could afford. Such lovely lines!

8. Camellia December 8, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

I love the leaning back and wide base. What a great chair!

9. Kylee December 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

Nicole, did you ever make a decision about your dining room set?

10. Danielle@Newlyweds Paradise December 8, 2010 at 1:45 pm #

The style reminds me of folk art or being down on a farm. It’s a fun design.

11. Zoryana December 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm #

Those are beautiful! I wonder if they are comfortable to sit in…

12. lourdes December 8, 2010 at 5:01 pm #

Those are gorgeous! I love them in pink…err…coral red.

13. PriscilaPetersDecor December 8, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

Loving thse coral red chairs! Adorable.

14. corrin December 9, 2010 at 10:51 pm #

good lord that takes me back. my grandparent’s huge maple dining set has ten of these chairs plus two captain’s chairs with arms. I remember wrestling with them as a kid and sliding off of them at dinner. The seats have indentations for your butt that make my sister and i giggle to this day.

15. Diana October 12, 2011 at 7:16 pm #

Geez Louise! I’ve been trying to figure out the designer of this chair forever! Thanks for this post. I have one that my mom bought in Germany in 1962 and it was originally orange, but when we brought it back on the plane, one of the legs broke. So she had a bad repair done and they painted it manilla folder color, and now years later, I just had a new leg turned and painted the chair white myself–but I used natural paint, which was really gloppy, and after 5 or 6 coats, it still isn’t good. Yes, they are comfortable to sit in, but they are not good with kids around. If the weight is too much in front of the seat, the chair tips over on top of your kid-sized head.

1. December 15, 2010: NOW AND THEN: New Windsor Chairs « Decor Arts Now - December 15, 2010

[...] courtesy of Making It Lovely [...]