August Ray Balch

August Ray Balch was born on Tuesday, February 8 at 4:38 in the late afternoon. He weighed in at 10 pounds, 1 ounce, and measured 22 inches long.

You may notice that my last update in the 4-6 Weeks Project is missing an entry for February 8. I’m writing this from the hospital, so I haven’t been home yet to edit and write the photo from that day.

My water broke at 2 o’clock in the afternoon while I was napping with Eleanor. I called Brandon to have him take me to the hospital and his parents came to stay with Eleanor. August was born less than three hours later in an unmedicated, natural delivery (all ten pounds of him). I was fully in favor of receiving an epidural, but I progressed so quickly that by the time the anesthesiologist had finally arrived, I was ready to deliver. Thankfully it was speedy!

August and I are doing well. Eleanor has already met him and she was very sweet to her little brother. I’m looking forward to going home tonight to my family of four.

542 Responses to “August Ray Balch”

1. Diana February 14, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Congratulations on a beautiful baby boy. You have the perfect little family now!

2. Katrina February 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

He’s just precious!! Congrats on your baby, I love his name :)

3. Holly February 14, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Beautiful name for a beautiful boy. Enjoy this very special time!

4. Nic February 14, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

How wonderful, congratulations to you and your family.

5. Lise February 14, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

Congrats! Love the name.

6. Melissa @ HOUSEography February 14, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

Congratulations!

7. Rhonda Mankin February 14, 2011 at 2:46 pm #

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! We just had a birthday too..My little Astrud was born 5 years ago on February 12.

He is so sweet.

8. Keatley & Co. February 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

Congratulations! He is super adorable.

9. Jussara Gehrke February 14, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

Congratulations! August is a beautiful baby! for him much health and happiness for the family!

10. Elena February 14, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

Congratulations! I love his name (my birthday is in August!)

11. Mrs. Kinne February 14, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

Oh, he is gorgeous!

12. Dariela February 14, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

Congrats! What a miracle of life!! Wishing all of you god health and nights of sleep ;)

13. Erin February 14, 2011 at 6:21 pm #

Congratulations to you all! I am expecting in July and can’t wait to introduce my newest to his/her big sister. Get some rest- looking forward to seeing more pictures. What a beautiful boy!

14. Helen Carrillo February 14, 2011 at 10:14 pm #

Felicidades!! es un bebé precioso :D

15. Ashley February 14, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

CONGRATULATIONS! I’m impressed with your big boy! And a natural delivery? You are my hero.
    Enjoy time with your little people…

16. Krystina February 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm #

Congratulations! He’s beautiful. February birthdays seem to be popular this year. My sister just had her little girl a few days before August. I have a cousin who’s due in about 2 weeks. Yay for babies!

17. Stevie February 15, 2011 at 12:24 am #

Awww, congratulations! How exciting. He is just perfect! Looking forward to more pictures :-)

18. Emily February 15, 2011 at 4:54 am #

Congratulations on your adorable baby boy and August is such a wonderful name.

19. Ashley @ sunnysideshlee.com February 16, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

Congrats!! Love the name!

20. Amnah February 16, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

Congratulations! The delivery of my youngest was the exact same. No time for the epi! I’m glad cause it made me realize I could do it without one, woohoo!

He’s absolutely adorable. My baby fever temperature is rising!

21. Amber February 16, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

Congratulations on the arrival of your sweet baby boy!

22. Belén February 17, 2011 at 10:23 am #

Congratulations!!!!! he’s so cute!

23. Kate February 17, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

After 529 other comments, you probably don’t need to hear this again, but congratulations! August is so cute!

24. Heidi Jo the Artist February 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

Congratulations!!! Glad you didn’t have to have surgery. This time around (son born January 28th) I tried so hard to have a natural birth but ended up with a c-section again, third one, and there were more complications this time around and it seems like it is taking longer to recover vs. the other two. I was in labor for over 27 hours and baby boy was stressed.

Happy to have a healthy baby boy in my arms now, glad you do too. :)

25. Eva February 19, 2011 at 3:58 am #

Congratulations!!!! He’s so charming!!! I hope all of you are OK, best wishes!!!!

26. Chelsey/InspiredMama February 20, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

Congratulations! I am glad you are recovering well! I, too, naturally delivered a 10lbs 9oz baby in 2 hours! It is crazy but is a great story now! I love how shocked everyone is! Congrats again, August is soo sweet!

27. Amy February 20, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

Congratulations! Love the name!

28. Academichic February 21, 2011 at 11:09 am #

Congratulations, Nicole! What a beautiful baby boy and happy to hear that you and the little one are well and that you had such a speedy delivery!

S.

29. Sarah Jane February 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

Congratulations!!! I’m so happy for you and your family. He looks so sweet. I’m glad you’re OK and everything went “well.” I’m SO hoping for a quick labor! Your story was encouraging.

30. Andrea Larsen February 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

WoW!!!! congratulations! He’s cute.

31. Jennifer Jean March 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

What a beautiful baby boy! I voted for this name because that was my grandfather’s name, and I think it fits him perfectly. Congratulations!

32. Aurelie April 7, 2011 at 10:02 am #

Congratulations, he’s beautiful! I love the name, it was my grandfather’s name as well.

1. Zen Weekend | Studio Rose Flash - February 11, 2011

[...] Congrats Nicole on your new (and cutest) arrival in your family. [...]

2. Weekend Notes* - February 13, 2011

[...] Can’t Call It “It”! Making It Winsome?  Nicole from Making It Lovely had her baby, all ten pounds of him (au naturale too).  She named him August Ray.  I love it. [...]

3. The Laundry Room Sink | Making it Lovely - February 14, 2011

[...] « August Ray Balch [...]

4. Limited Edition | Making it Lovely - February 14, 2011

[...] August looks like Eleanor did when she was a newborn. Different nose, same everything else. It’s nice to have another baby at home. Parenting | [...]

5. Say Hello to the Newest Member of Martha’s Circle from Making It Lovely - Martha's Circle - February 17, 2011

[...] over at Making It Lovely has been working on this project for a good nine months now, isn't the finished product [...]

6. TodaysMama | Blog | The Yay Friday Round Up - February 18, 2011

[...] Two of my favorite bloggers just had babies. Do I feel a kinship because I’m going to have a babe any minute? Why, yes I do. Please go say “Hello, Baby” to Poet and August. [...]

7. A Lovely Life List | Making it Lovely - December 20, 2011

[...] an extended vacationHost a traditional Thanksgiving dinnerShake the President’s handHave a completely natural labor and childbirthGo sightseeing on a VespaTeach a craft project to a group of kidsKaraoke in front of a crowdAttend a [...]

8. 2011 Visual Diary: Week 6 « The Ci - January 27, 2012

[...] Feb. 10, 2011: I don’t know her personally at all, but one of my favorite bloggers had a baby today, and I feel like one of my close friends had a baby today. I may just need a life. Here are some [...]