93 February 23, 2011

Planning August’s Monthly Photos

I took a photo of August in Eleanor’s usual spot yesterday.

I’m going to start photographing him monthly too, but I’m considering a change of location. I think that the library would make a good backdrop, yes?

The Library

I don’t know if I should prop him up in the white chair that’s already up there, or if I should bring the Eames rocker up for each photo. I think it could be cool to have him in the same chair to connect his photos to his sister’s, but I also think it’s going to be a total pain to have to set it up every month. Sigh.

C’est la vie de l’overachiever.

Melissa | IS•LY
    February 23, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Oh August is adorable! My vote is to do it in the library. When Penelope was a week old, I took a picture of her sleeping in the reading chair in our “library”. Looking at it still cracks me up. Here it is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/melissaesplin/5472265587/

Lena
    February 23, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Library yes… more masculine for August.
    Eames rocker, absolutely.
    Tradition.
    Connection.

PERFECTION.

(ps… you just kicked me in my uterus. I want another baby.)

Marie @ M2JL STUDIO
    February 23, 2011 at 9:57 pm

It would also be neat to have a spot for the two of them and take pictures of both month to month.

Tiffany
    February 23, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I love that name. My neices name is August.

jenn r
    February 23, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Um, that is one mighty sweet little man – wherever you take the photo.

D
    February 24, 2011 at 12:07 am

Your babies are so cute, they could make anyone want to have one of their own :)

Leah
    February 24, 2011 at 7:39 am

I like the library and the chair in there, it gives him his own thing. He’s very handsome!

Erin
    February 24, 2011 at 7:57 am

I like the idea of him having his own chair/place in the library. Unless there is something awful about the chair already in the library?

Jen K
    February 24, 2011 at 8:09 am

I vote for August having his own chair in the library. Much easier for Mom and it gives him his own special spot.

samsonizzle
    February 24, 2011 at 8:18 am

Not that this would be any EASIER, but you could do pictures of him in both, then make up your mind down the road. I did that with my son and two stuffed animals; granted they were not the size of chairs.

Arlena
    February 24, 2011 at 8:22 am

What a handsome little lad he is~ I think the library is perfect, and I think he should have his own chair as well.
    I have been reading your blog for a long while, it is so nice to see your beautiful family growing..:)

Anne
    February 24, 2011 at 8:55 am

My vote is for the same chair. I am a mother of four boys and I find it interesteing to see how differently each child grows: in height, in weight, in stature. Having them in the same chair, at particular ages, gives a point of reference. But I do like the library for August.

elise
    February 24, 2011 at 9:02 am

Oh what a beautiful boy ! The photos of Eleanor’s were lovely and original something she will have as an adult. August (love that name) will have them as well , if you choose to do so, and I do hope you will. It will be worth it!

Thanks for sharing,
    Elise

Sacha
    February 24, 2011 at 9:22 am

Library in that room’s chair. The connection will be that they both have monthly photos. No need to be matchy matchy.

Tracy
    February 24, 2011 at 9:30 am

awwhh hes gorgeous. reminded me how much i love these baby snaps!

Carrie
    February 24, 2011 at 10:33 am

I love his socks!
    I like the idea of the Eames chair to compare size and growth between the two of them. Maybe a spot in your husbands office so you don’t have to lug the chair upstairs?

jo
    February 24, 2011 at 12:00 pm

He is beautiful!!
    I vote for the same chair, it has to be the Eames, you’ll always have the Eames chair and I never concentrated on the setting so much……same is better,consistent background lets you focus on the person!!

same + action = tradition :–)

Alison
    February 24, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Such an adorable guy. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do for the monthly photo. Whatever you do it will of course be lovely!

laurenjanelle
    February 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Wherever you take it, it’s going to beautiful. Also, I love the ‘etc’ on your bookshelf. It’s a beautiful room.

Jenny
    February 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I think the library is a great spot, and while it’s gonna be annoying to move it around I’d definitely use the Eames rocker! That way their pictures not only have a common element, but it’s also gonna be great for comparing how big they both were at the same age.
    He’s absolutely adorable, by the way!

luuvely
    February 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm

i think the chair and the “connection” is a really good idea.. HOWEVER i think him having his own spot is nice too..im a little sister and always wished my mom would’ve been original with me…when i look in our photo albums..its like more of the same…so coming from a little sister…ORIGINAL is always cool…

Larami
    February 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I say in the library, on the ottoman. Are we playing clue?

Krista of Hopeless Chest
    February 24, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Such a cute, simple photo!

Michele
    February 24, 2011 at 8:43 pm

You could also take photos by the same book, or pile of books, which will also be a good visual to compare his growth to. Oh, and congrats! Two babies are double the fun. I’m typing with one hand right now because my youngest just figured out how to climb up on the couch and I have to keep a hand on her to make sure she doesn’t launch herself back off. Meanwhile her sister wants to know what we’re doing. Just you wait :)

Amanda Z.
    February 24, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Such a handsome guy! Mine was that small a year ago, sniff.

I vote library as well, in the petrie chair. He is his own self after all! If you do the same monthly pins that could be the similarity to Eleanor’s photos.

Down Comforter
    February 25, 2011 at 8:43 am

I love the name August and You should definitely use the library. He will look like such a stud surrounded by such classines!

Holly G
    February 25, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I say different chair! I love the one you took though it makes him look like hes in an egg or the womb again!

Katrina
    February 25, 2011 at 6:20 pm

My vote is for th Library – with a different chair, same theme going on but a new spot for him :)

Heather
    February 25, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Stick with the Eames chair — you’re likely to have it forever, whereas the white library chair will likely bite the dust in a few years, and then you’ll be pained to find a replacement.

urbanblonde
    February 26, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Eames chair I agree with the last poster. You’ll probably have that chair forever.

Tyla B
    February 27, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I say let Eleanor stick with the Eames-y and let August have the chair in the library. It’s the same notion – monthly photo in a chair (for scale and composition), yet welcome the opportunity to celebrate their differences as children. I admire your discipline – this is something I wished I had done with my two boys. You’ve definately got yo shnit togetha! Love ya, girl!

donaville
    February 27, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Eleanor didn’t seem to be a squirmy one in any of your photos (though you’ve never shown us outtakes, either). i think if I ever attempted photoshoots of my 8 month old twin babies on anything other than our carpet they would suffer head injuries from leaping off things, especially chairs, heh.

theaxx
    February 27, 2011 at 9:57 pm

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so so so so so cute! Well that’s it now I’m clucky…

thea.
    xx

(spoonfulzine)

Amanda
    February 28, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Both would be really sweet.

If you do them in the library, they’re more special for him, and they’re his own — and also, Eleanor’s spot is her own, which is also very important for her to feel special.

But if you do them in the same chair Eleanor did hers, you can compare them.

If it were me? (I know you’re not asking) I’d have his be special … so in the library in the chair.

One Month Old (August’s Monthly Photo) | Making it Lovely
    March 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm

[…] you can see, I decided to take August’s photo in the library. Can you believe he’s one month old already? He weighs eleven and a half pounds now, and […]

• 1 2