30 January 3, 2012

Carved Wood Side Table

I was a big fan of this coffee table when it came out and I wrote about it here, but I decided it was too low (and potentially tippy) for our living room. The new side table version, however?

It may just be perfect next to the crazy floral chair. I still love the little table that we have there, but it’s too spindly (and tippy!), and I’ve been looking for something with more presence. I think I have some store credit too which, as we all know, is essentially free money. (Never mind that I did actually spend that money once upon a time.)

What do you think?

Eliza
    January 3, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I like it, but I LOVE that lamp. I’ve come back to it on here about twelve times!

Giulia
    January 3, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I love it! I think the weight and the detailing will be great next to the lamp and chair.

Kathryn Humphreys
    January 3, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Love those textures together. I’m this close to pulling the trigger on that table as well, but I don’t have the perfect home just yet.

Making it Lovely
      January 3, 2012 at 2:12 pm

It would fit right in at your house if you can find a spot for it.

Tory
    January 3, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I’ve got that one bookmarked as well for my living room re-do. I say give it a try! I think it will work nicely. And if not, return it.

Molly the Waffler
    January 3, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Definitely get it! It has great details and an interesting color. I’m loving so many of new West Elm arrivals.

Jill Browning
    January 3, 2012 at 2:06 pm

It’s a very nice table, but would it be too “busy” next to the patterned chair, patterned rug, and textured pillow? Each of these pieces are too pretty to have to compete with one another. I do agree you need a bolder side table, though. Have you thought about a white side table? Maybe to break up all of the different woods (floor, baseboard, chair legs)? And then whatever you use to style the top of the table would work as a barrier between the white table and white lamp shade… Sorry about the tangent I seem to have went off on!!

Making it Lovely
      January 3, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Eventually (soon?) the wood trim will all be painted white. So yes, it’s busy, but I think it’s a good kind of busy with the chair.

Amanda
    January 3, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I worry that it may be too busy, as well. But give it a shot and see how it looks in the space!

Danielle
    January 3, 2012 at 2:33 pm

The style is much different than what I am use to with you. I like it and think it would fit nicely in the corner, though. I feel like the little table you have now gets lost next to the lamp. The new one would not!

Making it Lovely
      January 3, 2012 at 2:35 pm

It’s more ornate than my other furniture, but I like it a lot. And yes, that’s the problem with the other table — it gets lost in that corner.

Keri
    January 3, 2012 at 2:35 pm

LOVE IT. Loved the coffee table too but when I saw it in person I didn’t feel like it would work with my big dog and for a foot rest (a must for my coffee tables). That side table is one of those things that I would buy and then MAKE it work somewhere because I liked it so much.

Adrian
    January 3, 2012 at 2:40 pm

LOVE IT! I don’t think it’s too crazy. It’s also an interesting enough piece that you could move it around the house if you get sick of it in the living room.

Nicole A.
    January 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Love the table! I just received a 15% coupon code for West Elm in an email…check your email…maybe you have one, too!

Making it Lovely
      January 3, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Yes! I got that today too. 15% off, plus some store credit = all signs point to yes.

Kate @ change of scenery
    January 3, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I think it’s perfect. I love the juxtaposition between the ornate, driftwood-like finish and the brass, sleek lamp. Plus the chair pattern is larger so as not to look too busy with the intricacy of the wood detailing. Add a sweet skinny vase and some vibrant short-stemmed flowers and you’ll be in business.

Tatyana
    January 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I just saw the same table from Cost Plus World Market for $150…for those of us who don’t have store credit and 15% off coupon.

Wendy
    January 3, 2012 at 5:33 pm

The table Tatyana suggested is on sale for $129.99 right now. The carving pattern is slightly different, but it’s a nice alternative.

Wrenaria
    January 3, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Love the texture. Do it.

Mandi
    January 3, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I don’t think it would be too busy at all. In fact, I think the weight of the piece might work well with the tall, thin lamp. The table you currently have sort of confuses the eye with duplicating the base of the lamp. Does that make any sense at all? Or am I just neurotic? haha Anyway, whatever you chose will be lovely, I’m sure!

Making it Lovely
      January 3, 2012 at 7:42 pm

No, not neurotic! That’s the problem I have with the current table too.

Heidi
    January 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I just got the new West Elm catalog in the mail today and was taking a sneak peak while I was making dinner. I like the graphic textured table with your floral chair. I think it will make a good counter point. And the scale seems to be right for the chair.

susan
    January 4, 2012 at 9:29 am

I think you’re spot on. The spindly lamp plus the spindly table is too much spindly. The other table with that lamp and that chair would be perfection.

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet
    January 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

I love those carved tables. I think it would work well, since the chair and lamp both have an airiness to them; the table would really help ground that corner.

jbhat
    January 4, 2012 at 11:45 am

What’s that quote? Know it to be useful, believe it to be beautiful? Go for it!

jbhat

The New Side Table | Making it Lovely
    January 4, 2012 at 12:16 pm

[…] it LovelyA design blog about living a stylish life and transforming the so-so.« Carved Wood Side TableThe New Side TableJanuary 4, 2012Yes, yes, yes. The new table looks awesome.I got mine for a song […]

Christina W.
    January 4, 2012 at 12:16 pm

It fits in perfectly and is a good spoil to the colorful chair! I can’t believe how well priced both of those tables are.

Sara
    January 6, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I am just loving west elm more and more every season. I just splurged for the kids version of the scoop-back chairs. More than I wanted to spend but so worth it to have something cute and modern among all the toys.

Stripes + Fresh Finds + New + more | Front & Main
    January 8, 2012 at 8:01 am

[…] 8, 2012 • 9:00 am No Comments Tweet Stripes for Spring — Chicago Home + Garden Carved Wood Side Table — Making It Lovely Fresh Finds at west elm — A Well Nurtured Home Lovely Little Lamps — […]

Alexis
    November 8, 2012 at 9:32 pm

We just got this table a month or two ago. I am so pleased with the style and quality!! Definitely worth it.