Let’s Choose an Occasional Seating Area

I’ve been on the lookout for a good bench for a while now. For years, in fact. I don’t know if any of these are quite right for my home, but I like picturing these in a tucked away corner, in front of a window. Nothing so cozy as a favorite armchair or welcoming couch is needed here — just a quick perch for the occasional party guest when there are no other seats available.

I’ll show you which three things I’d choose below, and I’d love to know which you’d pick as well.

* I’d go with numbers 7, 8, and 9, plus a graphic black and white pillow to keep things from looking a little too Golden Girls.

27 Responses to “Let’s Choose an Occasional Seating Area”

1. Meredith February 16, 2012 at 11:11 am #

I love 2, 3, and 5. I feel like it’s just feminine enough for my liking and just manly enough to keep my husband from objecting too loudly.

2. Dottie February 16, 2012 at 11:39 am #

I love you even more now because you referenced the Golden Girls.

But I’m voting for those cool Windsor style benches. So sprightly and its classic design can be dressed up or down quite nicely!

3. Caitlin February 16, 2012 at 11:47 am #

I’d choose 1, 3, and 4! Good luck on your bench hunt :)

4. Amanda February 16, 2012 at 11:51 am #

I’d choose 2,3, and 5.

5. Erin February 16, 2012 at 11:57 am #

I love 2, 3, and 5. I see that’s a popular choice! :D

6. Jennae February 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

I’d choose 1, 4 and 7! I actually have those tortoise curtains in my master bedroom right now, ceiling height to floor, and I love them! And that partially blue bench? LOVE!

7. Cait @ Hernando House February 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

I prefer 2, 4, and 7. Plus a graphic pillow, maybe from West Elm or CB2.

I feel like #8 would be better outside somewhere. Maybe on a porch.

• Making it Lovely February 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

The combination of 2, 4, and 7 was my other favorite.

• Cait @ Hernando House February 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

I was that worried 2, 4, and 7 would sound too boring!

I really like the idea of a porch designed around #8, but my house usually leans more towards #2.

8. Sandra February 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

I like 3 and 9 with a different throw (perhaps in green?). Perhaps it’s because I have seen too much of the rickety rattan furniture!

Smiled when I saw the Anthro drapes. I am in desperate need of NEW edgy, fun, quirky drapes for the bedroom. The old brown velvet ones JUST don’t do the trick (previous owners of the house). I did find some at Anthro but they were sold out in my size…sniff…

9. Brittany February 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

4, 3, 8!!!

10. Jill February 16, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

3,5,8 and I’d find some navy blue/orange throws to go with. None of these are right for my home either but I love this game.

11. Molly the Waffler February 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I think I’d choose 2 and 3 with a great pillow. Ot maybe 1 and 3 and a great pillow…

12. Holly February 16, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

I’d go with 2,3,4. We have a Windsor bench that I bought off of Craigs List 2 years ago and it’s my favorite piece of furniture in our home. It’s functional and it’s actually really comfortable too. I’ve got a throw from Ikea on it right now and a pretty pillow that I picked up at Homegoods. I’m still probably going to add 1 more pillow. The bench would be a great investment but I would stay classic and mix up the accessories like you do so well. I love these posts!

13. Jessica @shimmerkai February 16, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Love #1. I’d throw some cool contrasting printed pillows on it too!

14. Holly February 16, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

I like your picks, but I’ve also been wanting one of those west elm throws for so long too – it looks so cuddly :) love the golden girls reference! lol

15. georgia February 16, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

I’d choose 1, maybe 4 and quirky cushions to make it more comfortable. Throws never seem to stay in place on this type of benches. Good luck!

16. Alicia February 16, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

2, 7 & 9… that way when I wanted to change it, I could just swap out the curtains, the black bench and white throw would go with so much. (I do really like curtains 5, also.)

17. MadlyClumsily February 16, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

I would go with Numbers 1, 3, and 4. I’ve been lusting after that ombre bench for a while.

18. Christina W. February 16, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

For anyone thinking of buying those Ikea curtains, I’ve had the red/green version in my entryway for two years now and they are super quality. Much nicer than any other Ikea curtains I’ve had before (and lined!).

I really like all of these benches! Super hard to choose!

19. Vicky February 17, 2012 at 2:58 am #

I go for 1 every time, The Ercol love seat is a timeless classic!

20. heather in WA State February 17, 2012 at 9:22 am #

I would go with 1 or 2. I’ve had wicker furniture and it can be a pain to clean (especially with kids) and maintain (catches dust bunnies, gets dry and cracks, joints loosen, sags and stretches out of shape). Meanwhile I have wooden furniture like 1 & 2 that is over 100 years old and has seen generations of use and still looks fantastic. Happy Shopping!

21. Sarah W February 17, 2012 at 11:35 am #

I LOVE bench No 1,and throw No 6, but I’m not sure which curtains would complete the look. No 5 curtains seem to matchy, and while No 9 are my favorite, I’m not sure they go. All great choices though.

22. Rebecca February 17, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

2, 3 & 9

23. Hannah February 20, 2012 at 11:03 am #

2,5,7 would be my choice hands down. :)

24. Amanda February 21, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

2,9,7 is definitely my first choice. I just love that bench. I also love 2,4,3 with the throw being the pop of colour. With the 2,9,7 combo I’d definitely throw in your “plus a pillow” option from IKEA! Especially for only $12.99. Oh how I wish there was an IKEA in my area…