My Life

Heading Up North

We’re taking an impromptu trip up to Wisconsin*, to spend a little time in the woods at Brandon’s family cabin. We were last there five years ago. I was fatter, Brandon was thinner. We had no children, and no dog. Now we’re making the six hour drive with two little kids in tow, and a motion-sick dog in the back.

* Someone will be house-sitting for us, and we have a security system.

I look terrible in that photo, but at least I had clothes appropriate for the woods. I had a hard time packing my suitcase! The pencil skirts and dresses that make up my current wardrobe aren’t really made for traipsing about in the forest.

You Might Also Like...

Ilaria
    June 6, 2012 at 6:20 am

Enjoy a bit of time off with your family!
    iLa

Allison
    June 6, 2012 at 6:26 am

No matter what size you are, you have the same cute smile! :)

Amber @ Pooch & Puddy
    June 6, 2012 at 7:45 am

In that picture, you look like someone I know!

Have fun in the woods with your kids =) My fondest memories are of camping with my dad.

Debora
    June 6, 2012 at 7:50 am

It seems to be a really nice place.
    I loved the tree sided road. :)

Mari, smallforbig.com
    June 6, 2012 at 8:07 am

We love northern wisconsin! Makes me wonder where you’re headed … but we usually are on the west side, I’m guessing you’ll be on the east!
    And I agree with the others, summer camp/woods memories are some of my most favorite from my own childhood. Makes me want to plan a trip for our family right. now.

Making it Lovely
      June 8, 2012 at 12:50 am

We’re kind of in the upper middle, near Rhinelander.

Mari, smallforbig.com
        June 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Never been to that area, but your photos and taxidermy) are making me think I should! We’re usually over near Hayward.

katrina
    June 6, 2012 at 8:09 am

sounds like a lot of fun!!

Sandra
    June 6, 2012 at 8:12 am

Cottage life is THE best life. We sold ours last summer when we moved out west (it was NW of Toronto) and have rented one for a few weeks this summer in the same region. Cannot WAIT to get there. It’s a “free range” life for all of us.

The kids will LOVE it!

Gwendolyn
    June 6, 2012 at 8:19 am

You’ve really turned back the clock, you look so young now compared to 5 years ago! I hope you have a great time :)

Giulia
    June 6, 2012 at 8:21 am

Have fun and use the time to recharge! There’s something about nature that calms you down even if you love being a city dweller. Our kids love camping, getting dirty, chasing ants and collecting stones…the simple things.
    I’ve been to Sheboygan…not in the woods but a lovely place to be in WI (quite far away from Ottawa, Canada though)

Chedva
    June 6, 2012 at 8:56 am

I laughed at the wardrobe part – I’d have the same problem. Have tons of fun!

Jules
    June 6, 2012 at 9:49 am

You do look different, though I knew you 5 years ago and I think those pants are just unflattering. They make you look heavier than you were. Have fun! (I loved your house-sitting/security warning.)

Making it Lovely
      June 8, 2012 at 12:51 am

Yeah, those were some bad pants. I was only 15 or so pounds heavier than I am now.

Mary H.
    June 6, 2012 at 10:15 am

Try giving your dog Dramamine. It has done wonders for our motion sick dog. She ends up sleeping most of the trip. :)

AmyK
    June 6, 2012 at 10:17 am

My husband and I had our honeymoon in Door County. Now we take a yearly family vacation there. No matter how crowded it has become I still love our week there and hope to continue this tradition for many, many years.

Julia at Home on 129 Acres
    June 6, 2012 at 10:51 am

Looks like a great place! Enjoy your vacation and good luck on the drive.

Mandi
    June 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

Enjoy your trip!! That area looks lovely. I would love a post or two with fashionable-but-backwoods-appropriate attire, if you do a shop (or even just a virtual shop!) for that.

You can give canines OTC meclizine (Bonine is one brand name, but most of the big stores carry a store brand too) for motion sickness, it works pretty well in my experience. Google or ask your vet for dosage appropriate for your dog’s weight.

Amanda
    June 6, 2012 at 11:45 am

Eep! Have fun!

Rachel
    June 6, 2012 at 11:45 am

I hope you have a wonderful time! For me cabin time always helps me recharge, especially when I unplug a little bit. Enjoy your time! :)

corrina
    June 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Enjoy! We’re moving back to the Midwest from the East Coast in two short weeks, and while we transition I am going to stay at my parent’s cottage up near Rhinelander. Kind of like you, we haven’t spent any summer time up the kids. It makes me happy to see such a popular blog reppin’ the North woods.

June 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Wow! That cabin looks lovely! We are in the market for a cabin in northern Wisconsin for our family if your husband’s family ever decides to sell! It looks gorgeous! Have a great time! We love it up north!

Making it Lovely
      June 8, 2012 at 12:53 am

I’m sure they’re holding on to it. It’s been in the family for decades!

Jamie
    June 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I have to ask if this is on Lake Metonga!?!? I have a cabin on that lake and all of your photos look strangely familiar, it makes me miss Wisconsin like woah!

bethany
    July 11, 2012 at 8:32 am

Late comment (way behind on my blog reading due to an international move) award!

Anyway, I just moved away from the middle of Wisconsin and to Kuwait, so I had to say that seeing your trip photos made me all teary, and yet feel a little bit closer to home. I hope you enjoyed every second, and my WI people treated you right! ;)

PS: Did you eat cheese curds? It’s not Wisconsin until you’re nommin’ on some curds. ;)