20 March 15, 2012

Choo Choo

We took a little trip to Berwyn’s Toys & Trains yesterday. It’s on Route 66, just a 10-minute drive from our house.

Kathryn told me about the place, and indeed, it is the stuff that little train-loving hearts dream of. Big train-loving hearts, too.

Given the time and money (because dag, it’s a time-consuming and expensive hobby), I’d probably have a miniature town set up. I was always enthralled with the attic recreation of the town in Beetlejuice. And hello, I worked my butt off on the dollhouse. As for the train part of the typical scale model setup? Whatever, that’s a bonus. I just want to make perfect little gardens and houses, with a cute but quaint shopping square, and funny little details.

I’ll settle for arranging and rearranging our Thomas toy train table with the kids. For now.

Kristín
    March 15, 2012 at 3:10 am

Looks awesome! Totally agree with you, would love to have something like this to arrange and rearrange and fuss over, so much fun :)

Kat - Four Little Walls
    March 15, 2012 at 5:36 am

Ah wow! How lucky to have this so close by. Can easily lose hours eyeing up all the teeny tiny details! x

Erin
    March 15, 2012 at 6:34 am

What fun! I love model trains, though I haven’t the patience to actually make or maintain a set-up. Or the money! I would love to take my kids to a place like that, though. I wonder if we have one nearby?

Jimmy
    March 15, 2012 at 7:53 am

Those toy train sets are pretty amazing in their detail. For your readers in the Baltimore area, I did a little write-up on the very kid-friendly destination of the B&O Railroad Museum: http://www.thebookofjimmy.com/kid-friendly-in-baltimore-bo-railroad-museum/

Super cool train sets in all different sizes, plus lots of huge, real trains from all eras.

Paige
    March 15, 2012 at 9:36 am

This looks absolutely magical. Thanks for sharing your photos (+ giving my non kid experienced self an idea for my new nephews.)

Emily
    March 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

This reminds me of Mr. Rogers neighborhood.

Kathryn Humphreys
      March 15, 2012 at 12:37 pm

What a great description!

Marianne
    March 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Cool! This is like the boy version of a dollhouse. :)

Molly the Waffler
    March 15, 2012 at 2:29 pm

This brings back lots of good memories of spending time gazing at model train sets with my son (now age 9 — sniff, sniff).

Brittany Lauren
    March 15, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Oh! What a great post! Although its an expensive hobby, it really is nice. My dad sets up a village around Thanksgiving and slowing over the years we have built up a cute little town. He usually takes it down after the New Year… but its still up :)Br

kelly
    March 15, 2012 at 3:41 pm

If the kids are liking the trains, you should take them to the Choo Choo restaurant in Des Plaines. http://www.thechoochoo.com/ It is a cute little kid-friendly place that has been around since the 50’s. Lots of train stuff to look at and there is a train that goes around the counter into the kitchen and it brings your meal out to you….

They have lots of burgers, sandwiches, shakes etc. They even have yummy veggie burgers too. The place is pretty popular though so there may be a line. ;)

Making it Lovely
      March 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I’ve been meaning to go!

anon
        March 15, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I’ve never been but there is also “All Aboard Diner’ in Downers Grove on 75th. Not too far from the Bolingbrook Ikea. Berwyn Toys and Trains is a great store. It has so many great toys including more playmobil than I think I have seen anywere else.

Jamie T
    March 15, 2012 at 4:36 pm

this is pretty cool!

emily (justem)
    March 15, 2012 at 10:14 pm

very cool! thanks for sharing! :)

Danielle
    March 16, 2012 at 10:30 am

This looks like a fun place… our kids would love it there (will have to show them the pics you shared… thanks).

Stephanie
    March 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm

This was my house every weekend growing up! My dad & brother are certified “train nuts” as they are called. My job was “landscape artist” for their layouts. Every year at Christmas my brother still sets up a train village around the tree. Fond memories.

Jim
    March 17, 2012 at 9:08 am

That looks brilliant! We’ve got some similar places over here in the UK – maybe one day I’ll get to visit.

Susan Hazel
    March 20, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Oh my how I love these pictures of the train set. When I was little, my friend’s dad had the most amazing train set in their basement and I remember the pure joy I would get just watching the train go around in this tiny little world. So cool!

How to Make a DIY Terrarium | Making it Lovely
    April 17, 2012 at 12:19 pm

[…] soil for a sandier blend, and using an open-air container. I think it would be fun to gather some HO scale model items to make a little scene, too. I do have a special fondness for miniatures, after all.Related Posts […]