Style

What Do You Wear with a Maxi Skirt?

I bought a pink ballet maxi skirt the other day. I had to think twice, even with a 25% off coupon in hand, but I love it. It’s so feminine! It’s so beautiful! It’s so impractical!

If I have to bend over to pick something up (say, I don’t know, a child or two), the skirt touches the ground. Fine in a dressing room, not so great when out and about. Yet I still love it.

The skirt nearly grazes the floor if I wear flats, so heels or wedges are a good idea with it. And I kind of have no idea what to wear on top, because I haven’t worn a maxi skirt since I was a teenage goth (and duh, you just wore a black band tee with your black skirt back then). The shirt I tried on with it looks good, but the skirt needs to have more than one partner. I like my clothes to be polyamorous.

Hey there, black and white striped sweater that I saw in the window of J.Crew (and that I can’t afford). I feel like you would go nicely. I want this whole look, actually.

Now that I see how much I like the longer skirt length on me, I’d wear this dress too, but the ballet maxi is the only big clothing purchase for me right now. I know I can find another striped top to wear with the skirt, and a white cotton tee in the right cut would look fantastic too.

It’s times like these that I wish I kept up with fashion blogs and glossies, because I’m sure I’d have a million more ideas. I know the maxi skirt trend has been going strong for a while and I’m just jumping on board now, so any tips?

Sources & Paint ColorsNeed design help? Let's work together.

You Might Also Like...

Emily
    May 8, 2012 at 11:03 am

Use Pinterest and search for pink maxi — you’ll get tons of great inspiration in no time!

Making it Lovely
      May 8, 2012 at 11:19 am

Oh, why didn’t I think of that?

Adventures in Dressmaking
      May 8, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I was gonna suggest Pinterest searching maxi skirt, too! I know I’ve seen some style bloggers rock them with cute ideas but can’t remember exactly who… =)

laura @ hollywood housewife
    May 8, 2012 at 11:05 am

What a beautiful skirt! I like maxi skirts, too, but you can’t go too bulky or layer-y on top or it looks frumpy. Love that sweater from JCrew with it!

Andrea
    May 8, 2012 at 11:11 am

White tank and skinny tan or brightly colored belt

Rose or navy or gold or white fitted t shirt

Gold sequin tank for dress-up, with strappy flat sandals

Sarah a.
    May 8, 2012 at 11:15 am

Love the skirt! But I’m actually eyeing up that adorable stroller in the background! Care to share who makes it?

Making it Lovely
      May 8, 2012 at 11:18 am

It’s a Maclaren, with a liner (because it’s cuter that way).

Sarah a.
        May 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Thanks!

The Modern Gal
    May 8, 2012 at 11:18 am

I’m trying to figure out the maxi skirt thing too. So far all I’ve settled on is a white t-shirt and fun scarf or a striped shirt like the J. Crew sweater.

Nuit
    May 8, 2012 at 11:31 am

white tank, denim jacket + a great necklace ;)

It’s GORGEOUS!

DWJ
    May 8, 2012 at 11:32 am

Try Allie at Wardrobe Oxygen, she just posted an outfit with this skirt the other day that I really liked.

Martha Getz
    May 8, 2012 at 11:33 am

I would go with a citrine, olive or mustard tank with either a fun patterned obi belt or a wide camel colored or straw texture belt and wedge heels. I love this skirt!

Raya
    May 8, 2012 at 11:36 am

Goooood find! I love maxis. I usually wear mine with a simple t shirt or v-neck, kind of half tucked in. I have one thats a similar color and i wear it with my faux-leather jacket to balance out the softness. Striped would be super cute with this one too!

Heather
    May 8, 2012 at 11:41 am

Even just a black t-shirt. I saw a woman wearing a maxi dress w/ a little denim jacket and flat strappy sandals…it looked so cute.

Danielle
      May 8, 2012 at 11:49 am

Ohh! I love the idea of a jean jacket with this skirt!

Rachel
    May 8, 2012 at 12:04 pm

A few others beat me to the punch. I cropped denim jacket, white tank, and bright necklace would be great. Love that skirt!

Christina W.
    May 8, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Do you ever look at Wendy’s Look Book? She’s the cutest thing ever. Her post from a couple days ago has a printed maxi dress that looks like the same color as yours, but it has a black, olive, and yellow allover print. I thought the color combo looked really good! http://www.wendyslookbook.com/2012/05/spring-peach-printed-dress-gold-details/

Tiffanie
    May 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I say a tank top. The only way I feel sexy and look good in a maxi. Show off lots of arm. And def a little heel, minimum.

Trisha
    May 8, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Tip: Be careful on stairs! The last time I wore a skirt that long was probably 20 years ago-with a bodysuit that snapped like a onesie-and I’m pretty sure it had little bells on a drawstring that tinkled. Anyway, tripped down the stairs and gave me the scare of my life. Wouldn’t dream of trying that again now that I’m,um, less nimble. But it looks pretty on you!

Ashley Whittenberger | Interiority Complex
    May 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm

So cute! I’m such a fan of long skirts. I think it depends on your body type, but I would probably wear it with a tank top, tucked in and a wide belt. I wonder if it would also look cute with a long sleeve tee (w/ a boat neck) and then belted?

Or what about that brown blouse w/ white polka dots that’s on the top right side of your blog in your closet?

Ayadet
    May 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

No offence, because you can totally buy whatever you want, but it’s a little hard to swallow a $100 cost for a skirt, when you’re currently the breadwinner. Sorry, it’s just a little unsettling. But cute skirt.

Making it Lovely
      May 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I figure that since I’m working my butt off, I can buy something nice for myself.

Andrea Howe
        May 8, 2012 at 1:46 pm

And I couldn’t agree more, Nicole. You deserve it :)

erin
      May 9, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Pretty sure this is just an insulting, feeler post aimed at trying to get you to say how much you make! Its a “little hard to swallow” how rude people can be to strangers that they are receiving a service from!

Rock on with your career and tough skin!

Clar
    May 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Tank top and a chunky necklace. Easy Breezy.

Andrea Howe
    May 8, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Gorgeous skirt! You have such great taste. Okay, I would keep it simple like some of the others suggested. Just a simple tee or tank. If you have a denim jacket or chambray shirt, that would pair beautifully with it here too. Add a nice necklace and simple shoe, and you’re set. There are so many style bloggers style I absolutely adore, and they would have some great suggestions for you, but I find that most of them aren’t mothers and they always wear layer, upon layer to add to the look of an item. I could see bee from Atlantic Pacific wearing a t-shirt, a chambray shirt, plus a vest on top of this with a big flower poof on the lapel. She’d look beautiful, but not practical for us moms that have to move around a lot. So keep it simple and maybe just layer a shirt or jacket over it. Oh I cam see this in the winter being paired with a gray v-neck sweater or a black fitted turtleneck. Gorgeous!

Andrea Howe
    May 8, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Oh, and I tried a different look I posted on Monday too. I wore that pleated color block Anthropologie skirt and instead of pairing it with a tight top, I wore a layered, sort of flowy top. I kind of like how it turned out. So point being, don’t be afraid to experiment with a looser fitting top as well.

Bria
    May 8, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I’d love to see it with a lightweight floral blouse untucked but nipped in by a belt worn at the true waist. Lovely skirt!

Brianna
    May 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Do you follow Kendi Everyday? I love her style and she’s into the maxi skirt :) http://www.kendieveryday.com/search?q=maxi+skirt

Adriane
    May 8, 2012 at 2:14 pm

White tank, jean jacket with rolled up sleeves, cute/bright chunky necklace, and wedge sandals?

Ashlie H
    May 8, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I’m so into maxi skirts right now – it is all I want to wear! Lately I’ve been into pairing mine skirts with a plain (or stripe!) tee or a blousy tank tucked in. I also like the idea of a black leather jacket with such a feminine piece – a fun contrast! Have fun with it!

Joni
    May 8, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I’m just impressed you actually went shopping with not one, but TWO kids. Well done, mama!

And I love the skirt – you definitely deserve it!

kari s.
    May 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I am thinking maybe a white sleeve-less or short sleeve casual shirt? Pintrest might help!

Sarah
    May 8, 2012 at 3:36 pm

A black tank!

anne
    May 8, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I like blazers with maxi skirts (you’re talking to an owner of 4 maxi skirts and many midi skirt/dresses) – it adds a nice structure. Tucked in basic shirt, blazer, awesome scarf.

Though I feel like a hypocrite as I don’t own a blazer – stupid wide shoulders.

the domestic fringe
    May 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I adore your skirt! Seems like you can almost wear any top with it, from prints to solids. So pretty.

~FringeGirl

Katie Stephenson
    May 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm

You know what I do is search pinterest. I found the cutest mint green chiffon skirt at a thrift store the other day and put “mint skirt” in the search bar and all kinds of cute things popped up. By the way, TJ Maxx has all kinds of striped tops like that right now. I love stripes!
    That skirt looks great on you, by the way, I love maxi skirts. You can also try pulling it up like a strapless dress, some work like that, too, then you don’t have to worry so much about the length.

LOCZIdesign
    May 8, 2012 at 4:30 pm

The question that always haunts me. How adorable is that little one crawling around in the dressing room — priceless!

Nichole C.
    May 8, 2012 at 5:04 pm

There is a maxi skirt I found last year at Goodwill that features a multicolored chevron stripe – very Mexican feeling, and also vintage! I love wearing just a simple (and substantial) white tank, and then put on a jean jacket when it gets cooler. The striped shirt idea is perfect for that skirt – great find!

Viv
    May 8, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Hi Nicole!

I think the trick is to wear a shirt/top tucked into the skirt to show off the length of the skirt. If you wear a shirt over the skirt I suggest belting it at the waist.

The colour of the skirt is so lovely. Great purchase! Maybe pair it with something bright for summer? I just pinned a maxi/top combo. Not sure if you like the colours but if you reverse the colour of the skirt and top I think it could look cute!

See the pin here: http://pinterest.com/pin/119556565078233494

Bruna
    May 8, 2012 at 5:46 pm

hey Nicole! I just found your blog and I love it! It’s really cool and i’ll be back here for sure :)
    I started to wear maxi skirts not so long ago as well but i have fallen in love with them completely. Now they’re my third favorite piece when going out (after jeans and shorts), and i usually wear them with a cropped tee, a laced tank or even a shirt tucked in.
    I’m sure you can find lots of tips in the blogosphere on how to wear it.. :)

xx

Katie
    May 8, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I love this look: http://pinterest.com/pin/79727855872865232/
    Fitted top and jacket, good lord what did we do before pinterest!

Jane
    May 8, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Ooh, I love a maxi skirt, but you do have to style it so you don’t end up looking too “sister-wifey”.

I think the key is definitely emphasizing the waist…tucked in shirt, belt, you get the drift.

I like this rendition with a button up shirt and casually knotted leather belt

This look–tucked in, motor cross style jacket

With a blazer and high-heeled lace up boots

This is a very polished look

annie
    May 8, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Classic white button front shirt — belted at the waist. It’s a lovely skirt! I predict that you’ll enjoy it.

Stef
    May 8, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Gorgeous skirt! I’d probably pair it with navy, maybe a polka dot, because I’m a sucker for navy + pink. With a gold skinny belt.

I find maxi dresses/skirts tough to wear because, at 5’10”, they’re never ever long enough.

Jennifer
    May 8, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I want to wear a maxi skirt so bad! I am a 5’7″ and a size 8 and every time I put one on, I feel like it makes me look huge. You look amazing in it and you were totally right about the Gap Always Skinny Jeans looking good…so maybe I just need to ignore what I see in the mirror and go for it.

Catherine
    May 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm

That’s a gorgeous skirt! I just ordered a couple of tops from Loft, and they have a ton of black and white striped tops and blouses on sale, too. When you find the right shirt, be sure to post a pic of you in the outfit. Oh, and I love your purse, too. I’m a sucker for pink.

Gaby [The Vault Files]
    May 8, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I love that skirt, and looks great on you! I did a styling post on a maxi skirt a while ago, if you’re interested here is the link:

You can wear it with a tank top, even a simple white tee with either a statement necklace or something just delicate!

nicolette @ momnivore's dilemma
    May 8, 2012 at 11:48 pm

You may have seen her posts all over pinterest, but Lilly’s Style is a blog to watch. She has two maxi posts in the past week or so:

Also, Stilettos and Diaper Bags has had many posts with maxis lately…

I just bought a electric blue one from F 21. I think the sequins tank idea from a poster above would be fun. :)
    And a jean jacket.

Kudos to you for treating yourself. I get “cheap attacks” when I spend more than $40 on an item of clothing…

Melissa
    May 9, 2012 at 1:15 am

I love how this skirt (and top) looks on you!

I would wear this skirt with a chambray top, striped top, floral top, or anything really.

I go a more fitted route up top when going with a maxi. If you want something looser, go with something more sheer.

I love these style posts!! You seriously have fantastic taste.

Rebekah C
    May 9, 2012 at 9:51 am

Nicole, you look like you lost weight in this picture!

Amanda
    May 9, 2012 at 11:02 am

That skirt looks beautiful on you, great purchase! I have a very similar skirt in ballet pink from anthropologie that I love to wear with a basic white tee, a fitted denim jacket, and wedges. A short sleeve tee in the right shade of peach or mint green could be really cute as well. Looking forward to seeing how you wear it!

Sarah
    May 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm

It looks lovely on you! I love my maxi skirt. It’s so nice to wear while pregnant lol.

pennysaver
    May 9, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I agree with Ayadet. It is unsettling. I have never commented on your beautiful blog, but after some of your recent posts, I would save my skirt shopping for another day.

Evelyn
    May 9, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Loose flowy tshirt tucked into band with messy bun!

My problem is stepping on the front of the skirt and tripping.

Very cute skirt! Looks great!

Ian
    May 11, 2012 at 2:00 am

Hi, just this morning i was reading about long skirts, because i have exactly the same question about wearing this kind of skirts. I know this post is in spanish, but the photos are great (i think) hope it’s useful to you:

Dacia @ Lemon Drop Life
    May 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I love a denim button down for a casual look..especially with a feminine skirt like that!

Jessie
    May 14, 2012 at 9:25 am

WOW, I forgot that I also used to have a long black skirt I wore all the time in high school with band tee’s. LOL Your new skirt is beautiful! I love that J.Crew outfit also.

Style: Pink Ballet Maxi Skirt | Making it Lovely
    May 24, 2012 at 2:24 am

[…] I bought this pink ballet maxi skirt earlier in the month, and posted about not being sure how to pull it off. I still need to find a good black and white striped top (what kind of blogger am I to not own […]

Style: Stripes and Florals | Making it Lovely
    July 3, 2012 at 11:54 am

[…] to believe her.I pair it with stripes a lot lately — a look that I’ll admit I shamelessly based on a J.Crew window display. That’s probably a lame thing to admit (aren’t bloggers supposed to perpetuate the idea […]