38 May 22, 2012

The Basement Studio and Playroom Plan

All right, I’ve decided on a rug. I had to turn to my good friend Photoshop to help me figure out which would be the best in the space, and this pink and white one looked best. I found it thanks to some of the comments on my post about the basement rug situation, so thanks for the recommendations! I also put a post together with a bunch of my favorite indoor/outdoor rugs over here. Check it out if you’re in the market.

The värde was c/o IKEA, and we’ve had that orange daybed for years. It was originally in our short-lived guest room (now the nursery). It should be good on the playroom side of the basement, and I’m going to skip a rug on that side. Kathryn pointed out that her kids actually prefer a bare floor to slide around on, so we’re going to give it a go.

We’ve had the 4 Seasons in Chicago (first edition) print for a while now too. Brandon gave it to me as a gift, and I’m looking forward to having it up on the walls. And speaking of the walls… I’m rethinking that grellow color. I chose it thinking that the floor on that side would be offset by the black and white rug, taking up most of the space. now that it’s gone though, I’m not sure I like the way it’s looking. I’ve never painted a room white before, but might like it here. I’m still thinking about doing a paint-by-numbers wall mural too. How awesome would that be?

It’s kind of a commitment though, eh? And you know that if we ever move, it will suffer the same fate as the dragon that I painted over when we moved in.

Update:
I made a mockup.

It looks awesome.

Kathryn Humphreys
    May 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Love the mural idea, I have a feeling you might get tired of the white too. What about a chalkboard, then you could change up the mural from time to time.

joyce england
    May 22, 2012 at 1:34 pm

It is a lovely picture and I do love Bambi.I do think that is a big chunk of time better spent on something you know you won,t tire of .A hand stitched quilt or build a bear.sometimes children are afraid of big animals.But you decided

Fiona
    May 22, 2012 at 1:47 pm

If anyone can make that mural look great, you can, but it seems like a lot of work for a short-term payoff. I like the chalkboard idea (and Hudson Chalkboard Paint has great colors) or maybe wallpaper.

Nichole C.
    May 22, 2012 at 2:22 pm

The mural idea is great – I think it really fits into your personality. Perhaps something involving peonies and a garden theme? Although I agree with the rest of the comments – you might get bored with it after a while.

Lena
    May 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm

We looked at a house in Oak Park that had a naked woman riding a tiger in the jungle scene painted in one of the bathrooms. The owner was doing her own open house and was practically in tears telling us how much she loved the painting and hoped someone would keep it. I was thinking, lady, you’re bananas!? This looks like a bordello!

Making it Lovely
      May 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Ha! That’s the best. I’m sure it was very tastefully done.

Andi
    May 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm

With the artwork I kind of dig the grellow. Plus it’s a nice and funky contrast to the pink.

We have a huge challboard wall in our business and everyone digs it!!

caroline @trend-daily
    May 22, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I’ve got to say Nicole-I kind of like the ‘cheesy goodness’ going on with these paint-by-number wall murals!! If you can’t go a bit mad and crazy in the kids’ rooms, where can you!! Pleased to have discovered your blog through Holly and so looking forward to learning with you on BYW2-I’m still a bit scared of computers, so tons to learn on my very new blog!!! See you on line soon :-) Caroline

TieDye64
    May 22, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I think the paint-by-numbers wall mural is pure awesomeness. That said, and speaking for myself, if I chose to do something like that I can guarantee I’d be itching for something else within 2 year’s time. And while I LOVE decorating my home and trying new and cool/funky things, I sure don’t want to “have” to paint every year or two. Then again, this isn’t your living room and you won’t see it all day long, so it could be gobs of fun. Never mind, it’s awesome. Hehe. :p Anyhoo, love your ideas for the basement. You rock!

Amber Wallace
    May 22, 2012 at 5:29 pm

That wall would be so much work but so cool! Love the rug! Can’t wait to see it all come together!

Making it Lovely
    May 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I just updated the post with a mockup of the potential paint-by-numbers mural. I think it has to happen.

Noe
    May 22, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I LOVE it!
    Plus, your children will never forget their playroom.
    And I believe that mural could be a piece of conversation for generations in your family.
    Perhaps adding some of the pieces in patterned wallpaper could give it a modern spin?

kelley
    May 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Paint-by-numbers mural! Do itttttt!!!

Jules
    May 22, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I’ve been wanting one of those murals so I was on board before I saw the mockup. Now that I see a rough approximation of it…it has to happen.

I’m glad you’re painting over the grellow, regardless what you do. I forgot you had grellow in there. (You know how I feel about that color.)

ohbrooke
    May 22, 2012 at 6:55 pm

My brother did this in his condo a few years back. AMAZING. You might have a hard time with a projector on that hallway wall though, not enough distance. But I say, GO FOR IT!

Erin
    May 22, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Hurrah for the paint-by-number!!

onestorybuilding
    May 22, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Playrooms should be magical. The mural is a great idea. I can’t wait to see what you choose.

Erin
    May 22, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I have those same Chicago prints and framed them in 3″ white matte with white frames. THey are stunning! I have them hanging on a wall that is very light gray so it offsets the white, but the room is still very light so the artwork pops. Just another suggestion based on my set-up.

PatriciaF | unfounddoor
    May 23, 2012 at 3:28 am

I really like the paint by numbers mural too. I’d love to do something big and ambitious for our wee bean’s room, but as renters (here in the UK where it is *not* normal to paint rented flats) I’ve been trying to think how — one thought that might have mileage would be to have a piece (or panels?) of MDF cut to size and fixed flush to the wall, so that if you were ever to get bored or move then you could keep the mural?
    Like I said, still thinking around it, but I reckon you should go for it

Making it Lovely
      May 24, 2012 at 11:11 am

I’ve thought about doing something with Luan (very thin plywood), but I’ll probably just paint directly onto the wall. We would enjoy the mural while we’re here, and then if we moved we’d be ready to try something new!

Lucy
    May 23, 2012 at 7:03 am

DO the mural, the mock up looks fantastic. It would make that space wonderful to be in.

spark
    May 23, 2012 at 7:26 am

It looks GORGEOUS!!! Go for it and personalise it – love the suggestion of peonies etc

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home
    May 23, 2012 at 8:16 am

whoa! how fun! but i see what you mean about what a commitment it is. i painted a massive hand-done stencil in my hallway and while i liek it, i also hate that i did it because im going to have to un-do it when we move. cant wait to see what you decide!

Lynette
    May 23, 2012 at 8:57 am

I have loved that paint by numbers ever since you first posted about it way back in September, even though I generally despise murals of any type. I immediately wanted to paint a wall (or two) in my son’s nursery, but we are going to be trying to sell our house next year so it seemed like poor timing. I am very jealous. The colors in the paint by numbers go great with your floor color and it is so kid friendly and fun.

cd
    May 23, 2012 at 11:20 am

But WHERE oh WHERE do you get the PB# template? I have googled the holy cow out of that after your first post on the matter and I can’t find one or figure out how to do it? How would you do it? (I wanted to do it not as a mural but to fill a gigantor blank canvas I bought. I love the solid color patch look of PB#. But can find no templates anywhere.

Making it Lovely
      May 24, 2012 at 11:09 am

I don’t know of any templates — I would make my own. I might be able to share it if I do, but I’ll have to look into copyright info first.

jillian
    May 23, 2012 at 11:25 am

I stumbled across your blog this week via young love house, and can I say…I am in love! My work at my job has greatly suffered, but it’s totally been worth it! Haha. Keep up the great work!

jodi
    May 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm

whoa. the mock up looks AMAZING. i say, go for it!!

Evelyn
    May 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm

That was my fave rug! Yay! I get to see it in action soon.

Jeanie
    May 23, 2012 at 11:48 pm

You’ve got to do the paint-by-numbers. That mock-up looks awesome and your kids will love it. It shouldn’t be too hard? It’s paint-by-numbers, right?

Kim
    May 24, 2012 at 10:26 am

Rachel Garza pinned a painted cross-stitch mural the other day. Its on her “project wish list” board and looks like the original source is duitang.com
    Its a pretty mural – floral. Might be easier to do than paint by number.

Plip
    May 24, 2012 at 9:09 pm

What an AMAZING idea! Thank you for the memorial day project!

Lauren
    May 27, 2012 at 11:23 am

Nicole, I vote for the paint by numbers! It is so unbelievably awesome! No matter what you do you are not going to keep it forever! Forever is way too long a time to consider! Go for unbelievably cool now! I can’t wait to see what you do!!

Dacia @ Lemon Drop Life
    June 1, 2012 at 8:47 am

I am in love with that mural! Do it, do it, do it!

Hallway Runner Options | Making it Lovely
    January 29, 2014 at 2:39 pm

[…] pink and white plastic runner from the old house that we also already own, which I used briefly in the finished basement’s craft space. It’s cute, but a little on the narrow side. We would need another one for the rest of the […]