77 September 15, 2011

Paint-by-Numbers, Giant Wall Mural Inspiration

I’ve painted original murals before for my nephews, but it’s been a while. These giant paint-by-numbers murals have me inspired though, maybe enough to actually commit to making one! It might be something fun to do in the play room area of the basement.

I don’t think it would be difficult, but it would be incredibly time-consuming. Here’s a peek at the process…

A crazy amount of work. I think the results are just the right amount of cheesy goodness though! You like? Or are they too cheesy for you?

September 19, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I love this idea! I want to do smaller versions of this idea in my garage. IS there a tutorial?

September 19, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Never mind…found it. Thanks!

Belle Bébés - Paint by numbers
    September 20, 2011 at 1:10 am

[…] Awesome images courtesy of Cabin Collective via Making It Lovely […]

Brittany Lauren
    September 20, 2011 at 9:13 am

It would be a labor of love but what a beautiful touch for a room, especially for a baby.

Hazel Schreiner
    September 20, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Gorgeous! I feel so inspired by this look! It is definitely worth the effort, and with such busy walls you wouldn’t need a huge amount of furniture! Love it!!

:) Hazel

September 22, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Hello! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I LOVE this post. I couldn’t get it off my mind, so I decided to post about it on my blog also, Nine Red, and link back to you. Thanks for sharing such a great project, it looks SO nice!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street
    September 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm

September 22, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Wow, that’s fantastic. I especially love the first one with the deer. I like how it goes right over the door. Someday I’ll have a place big enough to handle something like this, and it will be awesome. Thanks for the inspiration!

List of Favorite Things this Week-- vintage jewelry too! | A Chow Life | Foodie recipes and stories from a Seattle kitchen
    October 6, 2011 at 11:59 am

[…] I am a longtime collector of paint by numbers paintings. I was delighted to find these enormous wall paint by numbers. […]

October 23, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Here is a little tip to save some work on this. Print the numbers and outlines on a transparency and project it onto the wall with an old school overhead projector (see them at thrift stores all the time for like 10$). Put a couple Xs on the transparency and trace those on the walls so you can always line up your work between painting sessions.

[roundup] art: make it your own self « tafthaus
    November 21, 2011 at 3:23 pm

[…] Paint By Numbers — yes, kitschy. But also potentially very fun. If you want go really big with this, there’s always paint by number murals. […]

The Basement Studio and Playroom Plan | Making it Lovely
    May 22, 2012 at 5:18 pm

[…] never painted a room white before, but might like it here. I’m still thinking about doing a paint-by-numbers wall mural too. How awesome would that be?It’s kind of a commitment though, eh? And you know that if we […]

June 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm

This is crazy wonderful!!

December 2, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Where can I find the projection or the template for each of the “paint by numbers” depicted?

Vintage Tips, Tutorials and Links Round-Up | Penny Dreadful Vintage
    May 27, 2013 at 12:29 pm

[…] Wes Wilson. A crumbling 15th century cottage and 82 cats are left to a Sussex cat charity. Paint by numbers wall murals. Why is it okay to poke fun at people who enjoy fashion? Documentary about traditional Scottish […]

• 1 2