31 July 31, 2012

How To Make A Simple Bauble Necklace

post by Andrea

I come across beads and baubles that I love on a constant basis, and in fact need to stop buying beads at will — only when the need arises.  This past weekend, in an effort to try and organize my growing collection of beads, I came across these beauties and was finally struck with some inspiration.  I had originally planned to string the black beads together in a tight, almost choker-like necklace, but then thought it might be too limiting to nighttime wear.  But when just a few are added to a simple hematite colored chain, it’s the perfect look for day or night.  I wore my new chain with a white tank and pair of boyfriend jeans for a simple, yet dressed up feel.  Here’s the how-to so you can make your own simple bauble necklace.

You’ll need a piece of chain (my piece was 22″ in length, snipped in half to make 2 11″ pieces), baubles of your liking, 2 jump rings, a lobster claw closure, 2 wire guards (or 2 additional jump rings if you can’t find wire guards), 2 crimp beads, soft flex or mono-filament wire, scissors and needle nosed pliers.

You’re going to start by attaching your wire guard (or jump ring) to one end of your chain, and then string your wire through the guard, making a loop, and sticking both pieces of wire through your crimp bead.  You then pry your crimp bead shut with a pair of needle nosed pliers.  You now have securely attached your wire to your chain so you can start stringing.  *A note about wire guards vs. jump rings.  My local jewelry supplier suggested these wire guards because on occasion my wire would slip through my jump ring if the ends were not clamped shut tight enough, very frustrating if I had strung tons of beads.  These wire guards work brilliantly and take the place of a standard jump ring (which I used in making this statement necklace).  The wire guards are not always easily found though, so feel free to use jump rings instead, but always make sure you close the jump rings tightly.

Now that your wire is firmly attached to your chain, start stringing your beads.  These were rather large beads, so I only needed to string 5 black ones and the 1 sparkly one.  I didn’t want it to be too busy or fussy.  Once done stringing, add another wire guard and crimp bead to secure the other end to your chain.

You’re now ready to attach your closure.  On one end attach a jump ring to your lobster claw closure, and then to the chain.  On the other end, just attach one jump ring for your closure to attach to.  A tip about working with jump rings.  I have found that if I gently pry them apart with 2 pairs of pliers, attach to my chain, and then clamp them shut, they close up much better than if I just try to pry them apart and closed with 1 pair.  After you’ve attached your closure, you’re done!  Total time from start to finish is about 30 minutes or less, depending on your comfort level with working with the tools.  Total length of my necklace is 28″, with the chain being 22″ and the beaded center being 6″.  Feel free to adjust to whatever length you need though.

Miss B.
    July 31, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Super cute Andrea! I love this series Nicole so much fun but very bad for the budget, lol, beads are addicting;)

Making it Lovely
      July 31, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I know! It’s so easy to squirrel them away when you see pretty ones too.

Brianne Joy
    July 31, 2012 at 2:41 pm

You are so crafty! :) Thanks for sharing.

July 31, 2012 at 2:49 pm

This is so pretty, love the beads in silver. Too cute. :)

July 31, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Such a pretty necklace. I haven’t dabbled too much in jewery making, but this is making me want to give it a whirl!

July 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this one! So classy…ugh…I might have to break down and do it! :)

July 31, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Sweet – I love asymmetric necklaces

How-To: Bauble Necklace @Craftzine.com blog
    July 31, 2012 at 5:10 pm

[…] a jewelry project doesn't have to be daunting. Check out this how-to bauble necklace from Andrea of Making it Lovely for […]

DIY: Simple Bauble Necklace
    August 1, 2012 at 9:35 am

[…] my jewelry never turned out nearly as lovely as something like this! Get the full tutorial on this simple bauble necklace over at Making It Lovely. (via […]

August 1, 2012 at 9:39 am

Where or where did you find that sparkly bead? It’s absolutely stunning!

August 23, 2012 at 3:26 am

mostly, in local store. I wholesale them online:)

Jeanette @ This Dusty House
    August 2, 2012 at 11:08 am

Oh, so pretty!

Also, I love your nail colour.

Christina W.
    August 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm

those scissors are awesome

Zzzzzzzzara and The Week That Was–August 3rd, 2012
    August 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

[…] A simple but beautiful DIY necklace. – I’m obsessed with the thought of making some kind of DIY inspired by these leggings. – This […]

Brave Beltworks
    August 3, 2012 at 12:27 pm

So pretty! I love the matte black beads paired with the sparkle!

August 3, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I love statement jewelry but it’s always so expensive! this looks like a great [cheaper] way to add some to my collection. now to track down some bling-y beads…

Beaded Necklace Designs | wholesale online costume jewelry stores, gold, diamonds, rings
    August 17, 2012 at 8:46 am

[…] and bangles, acrylic paint and folksy cardstock stickers. Jingle Bell Necklace … Read Document 100 Beaded Jewelry Designs: Easy-to-bead necklaces, Bracelets …Contact: Jaime Guthals (502) 243-6…width: 100%;"> 100 Beaded Jewelry Designs: Easy-to-bead necklaces, Bracelets …Contact: Jaime […]

August 23, 2012 at 3:25 am

love ur share. You tell us how to step by step. thanx a lot

December 18, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Today, I went to the beach front with my children.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear and
    screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off
    topic but I had to tell someone!

February 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm

thank you for your butiful and useful site.

March 14, 2013 at 6:28 am

Right now it sounds like Drupal is the best blogging platform
    available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

Courtney Cloud
    March 29, 2013 at 1:39 am

How much did it cost to make this? How many hours of labor did it take to make it?

kidkraft kitchens on sale
    May 6, 2013 at 9:59 am

Hello to every body, it’s my first pay a visit of this website; this weblog carries amazing and actually fine data in support of readers.

emergency appliance repairs
    June 13, 2013 at 7:43 am

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your
    blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for beginner blog writers? I’d genuinely
    appreciate it.

web site
    June 23, 2013 at 9:18 am

Do not be in a hurry to take on the very first bid straight away.
    Where VPN is concerned, often the best VPN for Hulu, is onewhere you’ve paid for the service.

So, what do you do when the mercury starts to climb and so does the temperature in your home.

appliance repairs
    July 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This kind of clever
    work and reporting! Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve included you guys to blogroll.

July 19, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Does your site have a contact page? I’m having problems locating it but, I’d like to shoot you
    an email. I’ve got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.

ladies gym bag reviews
    July 26, 2013 at 5:35 am

Doh! I was domain name searching at namecheap.com and
    went to type in the domain name: http://makingitlovely.com/2012/07/31/how-to-make-a-simple-bauble-necklace/ and
    guess who already purchased it? You did!
    lol j/k. I was about to shop for this domain name but realized it was taken so I thought I’d come check it out. Great blog!

August 27, 2013 at 6:11 am

Really no matter if someone doesn’t know after that its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it takes place.

October 17, 2013 at 6:33 pm

My programmer is trying to convince me to move
    to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.

But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on numerous websites
    for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform.
    I have heard excellent things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my
    wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

Dog trainers in maryland
    January 13, 2014 at 7:12 am

It. Unusual ffor anyy fish species, with the females, as thery get
    older, their sex can change to male. Well, everyone
    with dogs wants to be like Amtrak.