It’s Alive!

Huzzah, I’ve managed to check off another of my Lovely Life List items.

Keep a House Plant Alive for At Least a Year

The dinosaur planter in the windowsill is new, but the rest of the succulents had been hanging out for a while. I thought, ‘hmmm, these have maybe been alive for a year now, right?’ I scrolled back through the archives to check. A year and a half! Boom.

Succulents

So I’ve replanted them, and they’ll probably die now because I don’t know what I’m doing and didn’t look up instructions. Armed with the vague knowledge that succulents will reroot, I snipped them all down and plunked them in some citrus/cactus soil. If they don’t make it, I’m not too worried. They were getting overgrown and gangly, and they’ll cost all of $3 to replace if need be. For now, they look cute and I had a project to work on with the kids.

Can't Reach!

And hey, I no longer think of myself as someone with a black thumb! Maybe it’s not fully green, but I can at least remember to water some plants and put them in the right lighting conditions.

22 Responses to “It’s Alive!”

1. Becca :: Making Room in Sicily September 18, 2012 at 8:03 am #

Haha, congratulations! As my other plants slowly bite the dust one by one, I bless my succulents for at least saving me a little face.

• Making it Lovely September 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

Succulents have been my gateway starter plants to a wider world of greenery. I’m good with ferns now too! Relatively.

2. LisaInIllinois September 18, 2012 at 8:04 am #

I too have not one but two
    black thumbs! Good to know I am not alone!

3. Brianne Joy September 18, 2012 at 9:14 am #

Congratulations! I’ve got one of those, not-quite-green thumbs you mentioned above, so I can totally relate. A year and 1/2 is a big deal. :)

4. Erika September 18, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Loving that view across from the stove, as well as that white pot on the stove!
    Congrats on keeping the plants alive :)

5. Lynell September 18, 2012 at 9:36 am #

Well, I’ve even killed my succulents. My black thumb is strong. Although, I would like to blame it on the lack of direct light that my condo gets…

6. Elisabeth September 18, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

Could you tell us where that glass container is from?

7. Sierra September 18, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

I love that you snagged a Plaid Pigeon dinosaur! When I moved to Austin we met and and became fast friends as we bonded over the use of critters in our designs. Over the past few months, I have been accumulating my own succulent safari that I think I may be slowly killing. Sad, but like you, I have issues keeping plants alive. Good look with the mission!

8. how2home September 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Love it!

9. Arianne September 18, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

Ha! I’m so glad to know that I’m not the only person with this problem. The other day I was shopping with my mom and my husband and I purchased this fabulous container that I want to use for a terrarium. I was sharing my plans (and joy) with my husband when I heard my mom turn to him and say ‘I don’t know why she’s buying that – she can’t grow DIRT!’ :(

10. Miss B. September 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

Congrats! That dino planter is awesome:)

11. Kathryn September 18, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

I can keep everything BUT succulents alive :)

12. dain September 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

i’m glad i’m not the only one without a green thumb – my husband and i have kept our succulents alive for some months now, but we recently replanted them and now they aren’t looking so hot – i hope we can keep them going! (i blogged recently about our adventures in succulents …. http://daintymade.virb.com/blog/13543509

where is the glass planter from? i love it!!!

13. Jamie Lee September 19, 2012 at 9:59 am #

I am jealous. I kill 2 palm plants every year, luckily they are cheap to replace at IKEA….but peace lily’s you can’t kill if you try.

14. Jillian September 20, 2012 at 7:27 am #

I have a pretty hard time keeping plant alive too, and I’ve actually found succulents to be more difficult that other basic plants. Over the summer, I bought two “mini” begonias and potted them in vintage planters. They’re still alive and doing great – and so pretty. Also, I have had great luck with aloe plants and have been able to get clippings to root. I do have a couple other little tropicals as well. All of these have done better than succulents.

15. Gena@BakeAllTheThings! September 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

Congratulations!
    One of the items on my 30 Before 30 list is to keep a plant alive for at least 30

16. Gena@BakeAllTheThings! September 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

Congratulations!
    One of the items on my 30 Before 30 list is to keep a plant alive for at least a MONTH. I’ve attempted several times so far, but everything keeps dying 1 week or 2 or 3 in. :( SOMEDAY!!

17. Pooja October 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

Congrats! This is such a great alternative for the winter when all of my summer herbs have bit the dust.

1. A Lovely Life List | Making it Lovely - September 18, 2012

[...] an eventSurprise someone in a big waySee a tree that I’ve planted grow to maturityKeep a house plant alive for at least a yearGrow tomatoes from seedTry fencing, complete with the proper gearBe completely debt-free (mortgage [...]

2. The Fiddle-Leaf Fig Tree | Making it Lovely - October 24, 2012

[...] looks lush and full. I don’t consider myself to have a black thumb anymore (I’ve been successful with plants as of late), but I’ve heard that these are fickle. Right now, it’s beautiful, healthy, [...]