67 March 31, 2009

Washed, Folded, Sorted, Labeled, Stored

Brandon thought it was very funny that I had to go to the trouble of labeling these bins of baby clothes. “Can’t you just open them up and see what sizes are inside,” he asked.

Yes, but this makes me so much happier. ;)

Washed, Folded, Sorted, Labeled

Nuit
    April 1, 2009 at 1:26 pm

AAWWWW I did the same when my little boy was on the way… it’s just a fabulous way to keep track of things, babies grow sooo fast! Congratulations! BTW, I am a HUGE fan of your beautiful blog.

Tracey
    April 1, 2009 at 2:58 pm

It’s called “nesting” and guys simply do not have that gene! Good luck to keeping it sorted when the little one comes! Enjoy the baby, and don’t sweat the small stuff…

Ruth @ GraceLaced
    April 1, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I’m a mother of four and this is exactly how I keep track of all the clothes..except I don’t take the time to print out pretty labels. Much lovelier this way!

Heather
    April 1, 2009 at 6:28 pm

It’s just so smart! It’s a pain to sort through all the baby clothes when you need them, and they grow OUT of them so quickly! My son just turned one, and he’s already wearing 24 mo size, so I’ve had to weed out his clothes several times this year. They should just make revolving drawers!

Viv
    April 1, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Ah yes, someone is indeed nesting! When I was pregnant with my son I asked my husband clean all the windows from the outside of the house and I cleaned them from the inside. Each time I saw I streak it had to be redone. I drove my husband nuts! Then it rained and it all went to waste.

Nicole you’ve done a great job organising the little one’s clothes. I tried to do the same with my son’s clothes. Each drawer was organised by size but now it’s a mess. The nesting instinct is definitely out of my system now!

I hope you are putting your feet up (on your lovely pouf) and getting LOTS of well deserved rest.

Viv xx

Erin
    April 1, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Ah, yes – I am just as compulsive! But I have to know – where did you get those storage boxes? I have a basement full of them, and I need more, but I can’t find them at my local Target anymore! Argh – the boxes must match!

Making it Lovely
    April 2, 2009 at 12:16 am

Erin, I got them at Target. I’m hoping they don’t run out because I need them all to match too! I already bought four so that I’d have some extra, but it will drive me crazy if I have to switch to another style at some point.

Shannon, the font I used is Archer.

And yes, I’ll be posting pictures of the nursery SOON! It isn’t quite ‘done’ to my satisfaction yet. There are lots of little things that I need to do (that I’m sure only I would notice)…

Jen
      October 3, 2012 at 7:03 pm

What size totes did you use?

soojin
    April 2, 2009 at 12:26 am

I noticed that there is some kind of divider inside the storage bins. What did you use? Btw, I have a 1 yr old and a 2.25 yr old, and I just went to Target today and redid all their old clothes boxes. I had used those cardboard file boxes from Office Depot and I had to switch after seeing your picture. Totally enclosed and clear containers make so much more sense. :)

Making it Lovely
    April 2, 2009 at 12:31 am

I used USPS Priority Mail boxes as dividers (I have a million of them because of the shop).

At Home with Kim Vallee
    April 2, 2009 at 11:08 am

Love it! It makes my life so much easier to label our storage boxes. Transparent boxes are the most practical option. For clothing it does not matter but for other things I found that in general, opaque boxes are more robust. I used a mix of both with labels.

Emily
    April 2, 2009 at 2:53 pm

You are too cute- I loooove organizing also- such a great idea!

Erin
    April 2, 2009 at 3:44 pm

haha – this is hilarious because I did the exact same thing and my husband also thought I was crazy! I even printed out the sizes in fancy fonts+colors so I could see them through the sides of the boxes…that is too funny. And the best part is, it put me in a good mood for a week. It’s nice to know there are more of my kind out there! Good luck with your delivery :)

amy purple
    April 2, 2009 at 5:40 pm

you are an organizing queen! I think it was a brilliant idea too.

Stacey
    April 29, 2009 at 3:30 am

Hey I love your labels, very organised, and I can see how they would make you happy. What font did you use?

Renee
    June 9, 2009 at 7:11 pm

LOVE this idea, tried something similar, wish I’d bought clear bins rather than assorted opaque colored bins. This will be great as your little one outgrows her clothes, to store them for the next one, or hand the bins off to a friend with a little girl.

I have a 5 month old, and my idea of nesting was putting the sheet on the cradle as we left for the hospital to deliver (I had been doing crazy amounts of lunges and squats to deliver before January instead of nesting, I guess). I just found your blog through This Young House, and I am pumped to have another great blog in my “house” folder… especially one with baby stuff too!

Catherine Avery
    June 16, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Just found your blog–love it and your beautiful little girl! You will love having everything labelled while you’re still half asleep searching around for clothes. No thanks…better things to do with nap time than that. I have my 4 year old daughter’s future clothes (hand me downs from the 8 y.old niece) and gently used clothes labelled as well. Great when the time comes to pass those ones down to my 3 year old niece. Lots of girls in our family–aren’t they great? Your husband is clearly already smitten…how lovely.

All the best to you and your family.

• 1 2