Earth at Night

My Writing Elsewhere…

Holiday Garland

8 Responses to “Honor Roll”

1. Cassidy December 14, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

I suffer(ed) from adult acne . . . finally broke down and saw a dermatologist. He pegged it as related to hormones and put me on a low daily dose of aldactone (generic: spironolactone). It’s normally prescribed to kidney patients, but has the side effect of neutralizing excess testosterone, which he said can cause oily skin and, consequently, acne outbreaks (its also given to women who have dark facial hair, interesting enough). As much as I didn’t want to think about having “too much testosterone,” he explained that everyone has both male and female hormones and it’s just about maintaining the right balance. Anyways, you obviously can’t take it while pregnant or nursing, but it’s been a miracle for me. I only had to take it for about a year . . . I weened myself off it and am happy with the skin on my face now!

There’s a lot of info on the internet about it, if you’d like to look! I’ve been testifying about it all over the place!

• Making it Lovely December 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

I’m sure my trouble was related to hormones. It improved markedly after getting pregnant the first time around with Eleanor, and has stayed better ever since. I still have bad days, but not so often. (And I use the same Neutrogena face wash that Anna does. Not glamorous, but it works.)

2. jbhat December 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Love the gifts. I want that Mini Boden top for ME!

jbhat

3. Catherine December 14, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Thanks so much for the skin article! I replied on her blog, but I just saw my derm. today, now that I’m no longer breastfeeding, and she prescribed a combination of the same things, so I feel like I’m on the right track. :)

4. Jules December 14, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

I teared up immediately with the cello, too.

5. Kathryn December 14, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Those instruments are amazing.

6. Dallas Landrum December 14, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

YES on the Charlie Brown School of Dance – I sent that to my cast this week and they loved it (just wrapped You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown a month ago). I’m partial to the Self Breast Exam move myself.

7. Iwona December 15, 2012 at 11:09 am #

Your writing = my “lovely” coffee break. Thank you:) Plus, I love the drawings/letters to Santa and Val Halla shop is simply amazing, should be on the unesco world heritage list:) Merry Christmas to You and your beautiful family! Ciao!