Pink Fridges are the Best Fridges

Our refrigerator has started making some interesting noises, and they’re getting louder by the day. I know that I should have it looked at and repaired, but there is a tiny part of me that’s shouting “Get a pink fridge!”

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Brandon and I completely redid the kitchen when we moved here in 2007, and we changed everything but the hardwood floor. We did much of the work ourselves, and we came in at about $11,000 for the whole project (a great price for a complete kitchen). But the layout, which we kept because it’s truly the best layout for the space, is odd. The fridge stands alone in the center of the room, leaving all but the back exposed. We bought a titanium/stainless steel alloy of some sort (magnets stick and fingerprints don’t show) and the sides are grey instead of the typical black. It’s a nice fridge, but it’s nothing special.

the kitchen

The kitchen would be greatly improved by the addition of a pink fridge, yes? (That’s an old photo, by the way. The trim is white now.) Smeg, Northstar, and Big Chill all make them (in pink and other colors). This one is perhaps my favorite, but I just pinned over a dozen colorful fridges to Pinterest too. Do you dream of owning one like I do? What color?

93 Responses to “Pink Fridges are the Best Fridges”

1. Mammamsterdam July 8, 2011 at 8:31 am #

I dream of everything smeg, but did you consider of painting your current fridge? It might be a first step to see if the investment in pink is worth it.

2. chris July 8, 2011 at 11:21 am #

i think red would be fun – we are installing a black and white checkered floor. but i noticed in the pictures that some of the fridges open in awkward directions – just making it difficult to have a good flow in the kitchen. we had to go with a fridge like your current one to fit the space and be able to open it and take things out without being ‘caught’ on one side. it looks like your space would work with the hinges on the right (as in the pics), so wouldn’t that be fun to have a pink fridge!

3. Vilija July 8, 2011 at 11:29 am #

I’ve seen the pink smeg in person and was surprised that my husband thought it was cool. We’re not really pink refrigerator people, not in this house at least, but I love the lines, just wish there was a bottom freezer option. Now that we have one, I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the reverse.

4. Susan/Project Balancing Act July 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

While I think the pink fridge is super cool (though I don’t like how SMEG is plastered across the front), I’m definitely on the side of getting a quote on the current, young fridge’s repair. A much more eco-friendly idea!

5. Yip July 9, 2011 at 11:00 am #

Hey,

Your old fridge seems quite nice to me.
    Bestow the money to me instead :P

Regards

Yip

6. Jayca @ Cartwheels July 9, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

I find that most spaces would benefit from a pink fridge.

My living room.

My bathroom.

The linen closet [it could just be the linen closet].

Where does a pink fridge not look splendid?

7. Erica July 10, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

I also have been lusting after colored fridges, specifically Smeg’s. I love their turquoise ones. And Sears has financing! So very tempting…

8. jja July 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

I would take white or black. Maybe but only maybe yellow.

9. Tineke July 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

Jadite green would be nice, pink would be too. I used to have a vintage lock fridge and still miss it terribly.

As far as the husband argument I would say that a pink fridge is a little girly, but that is ok. Too often in our culture we as women adopt a more masculine style and then try to say that its gender neutral. If Brandon doesn’t care about having a girly fridge, then GREAT there are no problems.

10. Lorna -GarrendennyLane July 11, 2011 at 5:54 am #

I love the Smeg fridges, in all their colours but a plumber told me that apparently people have problems with the shelves falling within them!
    Once I can afford one, I’ll be getting one too :)

• Mags July 31, 2011 at 6:52 am #

Mine’s only problem is the icebox door – the handle snapped, then one of the hinges. And replacement parts aren’t cheap!

11. Bidzi July 11, 2011 at 7:16 am #

Check on gorenje.com… I just bought great fridge on sale for 400euros… It’s about 500$ I think! :)

12. Bidzi July 11, 2011 at 7:19 am #

I got this one :)))

13. Lindsay D. July 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

My husband said no, so I bought my daughter a pink play kitchen. KidKraft!

14. itziar July 12, 2011 at 1:00 am #

I love Smeg fridge but they are a bit expensive :(
    Pink is a great option!
    Some day I will have one!

15. samantha July 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

whatever the color, let’s hope your next fridge lasts longer than four years. geez.

16. Melissa | IS•LY July 12, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

You NEED a pink fridge! I need an orange one. I had no idea these beauties existed!

Also, your studio is looking gorgeous! I can’t help but be super envious. I can’t wait to see the final pics. Three cheers for Ikea!

17. Shannon July 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

Me too!!! I’d like a turquoise one too. Oooh, or avocado green!

18. Cat@BudgetBlonde July 19, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

I love love love those retro fridges too! They are so dreamy!
    I posted about how much I loved them here: http://www.budgetblonde.com/2011/01/blast-from-past.html

You are speaking my language girl!

19. Katrina July 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

#7! I <3 #7! And #7 is one of my lucky #'s :)

20. Paula July 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

I bought a pink fridge last year. It was a bit of a splurge but I don’t regret it a bit. I love my pink fridge! Here is a link to the latest blog entry – there’s a picture of the fridge if you scroll down…http://www.bobbysocksqc.com/blog/?p=368
    Mine is a Northstar and it’s been great!

21. Mags July 31, 2011 at 6:51 am #

I have a cream Smeg FAB50 (the fridge with an icebox version). I LOVE it, but bear in mind the lovely curved front does not take magnets.

It does mean you don’t hide its loveliness under many notes… ;)

22. Pencils August 1, 2011 at 6:05 am #

My sister has a pink Smeg in her vacation cottage. The kitchen is all retro, with recycled metal 50s cabinets, lots of Cath Kidston accents, and the Smeg. Looks adorable, but it’s *tiny.* I can’t imagine how a family could keep enough food in it, alhtough it’s fine for one or two people.

23. Jamie March 15, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

Dreamy!! Check these out, http://bigchill.com/site/

1. Falling for My White Kitchen | Making it Lovely - February 11, 2013

[...] refrigerator! OK, the door is more doable, but I’ve been dreaming about having a cute fridge for years. I mean, COME ON. I could totally pull that look off in my [...]