Style

My Summer Uniform

A loose, easy dress, comfy shoes, a roomy tote, and sunglasses: that’s my standard summer look. Throw in a little color via nail polish and small accessories, and some amazing earrings, and done. Easy, but pulled together.

Making it Lovely's Summer Uniform

I bought those shoes last week, and while they’re a little old lady-ish, I love them. I’ll be wearing them nonstop now through fall. I go in cycles where I buy a lot for my wardrobe, and then I buy nothing for months (hence the lack of style posts lately). I’m kinda thinking I should get that dress and earrings now though. Aren’t they fantastic? Not the cheapest, but I can see them becoming a couple of go-to favorites.

Sources & Paint ColorsNeed design help? Let's work together.

You Might Also Like...

Andrea Howe
    June 18, 2013 at 3:10 pm

those earrings are ridiculous!!!

Making it Lovely
      June 18, 2013 at 3:11 pm

They’re 3.5″x2″ each. That’s the size of a business card! Must have.

anne
    June 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Oh no the Madewell dress is sold out. Bummer.

Making it Lovely
      June 18, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Noooo! It was still available when I first posted this. I guess that makes my decision for me then — no dress. Boo.

Danica
    June 18, 2013 at 4:01 pm

i love this outfit. super cute and perfect for summer! :)

etta
    June 18, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I love that the dress is loose, but has shape. If you are looking for ideas, I’d love a post on summer dresses like that in a range of lengths, price points, sizes, etc!

Making it Lovely
      June 18, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I wish there were more dresses like this out there! I’ll keep an eye out.

emma
    June 18, 2013 at 7:29 pm

i wish i could see those shoes on a foot! i’ve been looking for a pair just like that – did you buy them online or in a store? shoes are one of those things i like to try on, or at least see someone else wearing before i take the plunge!

Making it Lovely
      June 18, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I bought them in person, from the store that I linked to. It’s a local Oak Park shop, but they sell online too. The shoes are a little wider at the front than I would make them if I had my way, but I like them a lot and they’re really comfortable.

ajennywren
    June 18, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I do believe that you are contractually required to have those earrings with your new haircut.

Making it Lovely
      June 18, 2013 at 10:27 pm

That’s what I figure. Especially now that I seemed to have missed my chance on the dress.

Adriana
    June 18, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Those earrings are absolutely gorgeous, but at $228? Wow you must be doing very well for yourself.

Karen Little
    June 19, 2013 at 9:56 am

Loved all these choices, especially a look at a comfortable wedge for a change. But I’d love to see dresses that are a bit longer for women my age. I still have nice legs (they’re the last to go—haha) but still too-short dresses just aren’t right for many. Wish the garment industry realized that we need stylish, good length dresses that aren’t matronly either. Thanks for the post which is also good for me to see as gift ideas for my children, too. (Knock off looks are available at other stores, I’m sure!)

elz
    June 19, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Snap Happy is on my fingers now!

anne taylor
    June 19, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Those earrings are incredible!

Ashley
    June 20, 2013 at 9:39 am

Those wedges are so cute and a perfect, casual height!

Amy K
    June 20, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I also agree that I wish that there were more dresses in between maxis and mini’s. I guess it doesn’t help that I’m close to 5’11” so most dresses end up short on me. I have had some luck ordering Tall but it would be nice to walk in a store and buy off the wrack.

Have you posted a Style on how to wear a maxi skirt in the summer? I would love to see that!

Amy K
      June 20, 2013 at 6:15 pm

PS. I have short hair like you but I am not confident in wearing long earrings. I would love to see a picture!

Natasha
    June 25, 2013 at 8:30 am

I love those sandals and of course can’t find them anywhere, let alone in my size.

Earrings — You Know What to Do With Them | Making it Lovely
    November 6, 2013 at 12:44 pm

[…] Brass Drops, Anthropologie I’ve shown these before too, back in June. I keep hoping they’ll go on sale, but it’s not looking likely. So huge! So […]