16 August 14, 2008

Plants for the Backyard

I love planning my garden. I keep putting in flowers and plants, thinking “this is probably going to look really good in a few years”.

Here’s the plan for the left side of our yard along the fence, cutesy illustration style:

Plants for the Backyard

That’s the neighbor’s tree, but it’s very close to the fence and it hangs over our yard. Hydrangeas (and hostas) will do well in the shade underneath. A variegated Ivory Halo Dogwood will provide some privacy for the egg chair that I want so badly, and peonies and a lilac bush will provide some nice spring blooms.

zee
    August 14, 2008 at 9:18 am

Too cute! More please!

Melissa M.
    August 14, 2008 at 9:48 am

You’re so lucky that your neighbor has a beautiful tree and not something hideous and half dead hanging over your yard!

bravesbeestings
    August 14, 2008 at 10:06 am

that is precious!

i spied these wicker cocoon chairs on the september 2007 cover of Metropolitan Home and thought of you. :)

p.s. just started a home blog & added you to my blogroll. hope you don’t mind. i’ve been a long time MIL reader.

Rachel
    August 14, 2008 at 10:29 am

That is DARLING! I love this illustration!R

molly
    August 14, 2008 at 10:40 am

What a sweet illustration!

katelynjane
    August 14, 2008 at 10:44 am

I tried to plant Hydrangeas this year, but was told they wouldn’t survive our winter. I love them!! Your garden is going to look amazing once it’s developed and lush (:

megan
    August 14, 2008 at 10:46 am

pretty, pretty! i love your illustration — and can’t wait to see pix of the egg chair when you purchase it! :)

Desiree
    August 14, 2008 at 11:21 am

You could frame your illustration because it’s so cute!

Amanda
    August 14, 2008 at 11:36 am

Oh, and your egg chair would be in the perfect spot to catch the scent of that lilac bush on the breeze! Your illustration is super cute!

rachel
    August 14, 2008 at 2:29 pm

I think you should DEFINITELY “think” about getting that egg chair. I think it would be so nice to sit inside of it, smelling the lilacs, hydrangeas, and peonies. You could even look at them through the little “windows” in the sides!!

I love planning for my garden too. It’ll be a lot of fun to see what these plants look like in a few years once they are more mature! My favorite right now is my Camelia bush. It’s evergreen, and has the most amazing red flowers in the early early part of spring.

M&Co
    August 14, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Love your plan! Cutest garden design ever!!

your mother
    August 14, 2008 at 9:14 pm

so…I looked up the Ivory Halo Dogwood to see what it looks like in winter and when it flowers in the Spring, and it is beautiful! I now have serious Dogwood Envy and think I need to buy me some soon. Your garden will indeed look lovely.

Stockton
    August 21, 2008 at 7:29 pm

oh, what a nice representation of your future garden, so cute!

Jessica
    December 19, 2008 at 12:17 am

I can’t remember where I came from but I’m glad that I found your site! I am loving your idea for a backyard area. Sadly, we’re too broke to produce anything worth while in our house that we’ll soon be moving from. *Sigh* But thanks for the inspiration.

Jessica

Georgia
    December 27, 2008 at 11:28 pm

i just disovered your blog via Layers of Meaning. i’m a fellow-Chicagolander.

it is so fun and fabulous! bright, colorful, loaded with whimsy, great design and lovely things! very well done!

i’ll be back for sure!

(ps. you have an amazing home! it is my dream to live in a Craftsman bungalow some day!)

The Egg Chair for My Birthday! | Making it Lovely
    March 18, 2011 at 11:02 am

[…] make sure I don’t plant any bee-attracting plants directly around the chair! I came up with this little plan awhile back and I think I might stick with […]