The Victorian House: The Rest of the Second Floor

Yep, there’s more. Here’s where the house gets weird. The second floor is a mirror of the first, and would have functioned as the second of three apartments. Our bedroom would have been the living room.

And behold! Our second kitchen!

Second Floor Kitchen

There’s a sink, and the same built-in cabinets as on the first floor. No stove or fridge, but there is a capped off gas line.

Second Floor Kitchen

This is the one room in the house that Brandon and I aren’t sure what to do with. We have ideas, but nothing final yet. It could be a really big laundry room? There’s a small portion of the basement that’s finished as a laundry room space (I’ll share it next week), but it isn’t very nice. This room seems a little too nice to devote solely to laundry though, and I think there may be an even better spot in the finished attic. You know, in the house’s third kitchen. (I’ll share that next week, too.)

Second Floor Kitchen

Continuing on, there is built-in storage in the hallway next to the bathroom, just as there is on the first floor.

Built-in Hallway Storage

There was a pull-chain toilet in one of the homes my family lived in for a few years when I was a kid. It was a reproduction, whereas this is the real thing. I don’t love it, but the rest of the house makes up for some of its oddities.

Bathroom (Second Floor)

No shower (as I mentioned), but the tub is cute.

Bathroom (Second Floor)

We may retrofit this to include a shower, or even just add a hand-shower. There’s also plenty of room (as you can likely guess) to create a master bathroom someday.

There is also one more room on the second floor, between our bedroom and the second kitchen. It would have been a bedroom originally, before the house was chopped up. It would be easy enough to convert back into a bedroom (wall up a couple of doorways, add a closet), but we think it might replace our old library.

Future Library?

Future Library?

Can’t you just see a rolling library ladder in there?

79 Responses to “The Victorian House: The Rest of the Second Floor”

1. SEM August 30, 2013 at 9:57 am #

I’m on board with the craft/art room idea too! All of those built-in cabinets for supplies and the cute sink! I’m thinking maybe a laundry area off to the side in this room too. Our second floor laundry was extremely convenient. It was my mom’s crafting/laundry/shop inventory space.

What an amazing home! Can’t wait for kitchen 3! lol

2. Janine August 30, 2013 at 10:37 am #

I feel like the second kitchen upstairs could become a big master bathroom. I mean, it would be over the top (the room seems HUGE) but there’s already plumbing running to that room and there’s probably a plumbing stack you can tap into, and you can keep the magnificent wooden cabinets for storage of towels and sea sponges and WHUTEVAR.

1,500 ornamental soaps.
    ALL the scented candles.
    More pictures of pin up girls!

It could also being an amazing craft room for the kids, because with the sink there (if it’s operational) you have easy clean up after painting projects, paper mache, etcetera. It might make a very fun science lab, too. That could be Brandon’s own blog! Stay at home father teaches children a bazillion simple science projects to his kids, then has tea party with trains and ponies.

3. Stephanie August 30, 2013 at 10:52 am #

Yes to the library and making the “second kitchen” an art/craft room. I am having so much fun with your new house already…vicarious living right here! Oh and tile and a gorgeous curtain and that adorable claw foot tub becomes a shower.

4. lori August 30, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

Clearly, kitchen #2 should be a dressing room with a mini-bar!

5. Kari H August 30, 2013 at 11:14 pm #

Because there is plumbing already in place, I would make it a giant bathroom :)

6. ryan August 31, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Our house (in Chicago) seems like it’s from the same time period and was also broken into two apartments at one point. We ended up converting the second kitchen into a bedroom. We hoped to put in a laundry room upstairs but were told that it would be super loud and shake the whole house :(

Your house is a dream.

7. Alex - Hydrangea Girl September 1, 2013 at 3:49 am #

The creative side of me would love to see the second kitchen become a craft room or office! But the Practical Patty in me thinks it would be an awesome laundry room – when I grow up we’ll have our laundry room upstairs. One thing I always remember as a kid was my mom having to drag all the laundry down two flights of stairs to the basement, then back up again. Made zero sense.

Whatever you decide on, I will gloriously live vicariously through you ;)

xx A

8. kara September 1, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Make that second kitchen a laundry room/craft sewing room. You’ll have plenty of ironing room too! You won’t regret it! If you have a 3rd child you’ll be thankful for it! After having our 3rd, that’s when I noticed our laundry getting crazier & crazier.
    Love your house find!
    Kara

9. Heather September 1, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

The second kitchen need so be a craft/creative room!!! Hello!! Or maybe you have one on another floor…sigh…the room!!

• Maddy September 2, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Agree! Always great to have a separate place for creativity.

10. Elizabeth September 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

This house is so cool!

Cannot wait to see all your goodies in it!

11. Courtney September 5, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

Definitely a craft & project/homework room. The kids will be needing a homework spot before you know it! Love the new house and all of it’s exciting possibilities! I live just west of you (Elmhurst), so will be walking around Oak Park trying to pick out your home!

1. The Victorian House: Third Floor | Making it Lovely - September 5, 2013

[…] seen the first and second floors of the Victorian, and the basement, too. Today, we’re heading up to the finished attic on the […]