Style: Add Some Sparkle

Nicole Balch

I turned 33 on Sunday, and we had family over to celebrate. I wanted to dress up a little for my birthday, but it felt silly to go too over the top at home, surrounded by still-unpacked boxes. So I went simple — a boat-neck top with a zipper in the back, cropped skinny pants and cute shoes, glasses (the better to see you with), and some sparkle.

The necklace came from HauteLook. It’s a free, members-only site owned by Nordstrom, and they feature great brands at up to 75% off (with new sale events starting each morning at 8am Pacific). Since everything is marked down like crazy, it goes fast. My necklace is no longer available, but I picked a few other great options from the site.

HauteLook Sparkle

Those sparklers above from HauteLook will go fast (the shoes, too!), but you can sign up here to stay on top of their latest fashion, home, and beauty sale events.

23 Responses to “Style: Add Some Sparkle”

1. Maureen September 24, 2013 at 9:51 am #

Hot Mama! Your haircut is seriously to die for.

2. Heidi September 24, 2013 at 10:02 am #

Love Hautelook and that necklace is amazing. The perfect statement necklace to jazz up any outfit or occasion. Happy Belated Birthday!

3. kaleen September 24, 2013 at 10:16 am #

We share the same birthday, exactly ten years apart! Haha
    Happy birthday lovely lady !!

• Making it Lovely September 24, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

Happy belated birthday to you then! We also share a birthday with Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, so that’s cool. And Scott Baio.

4. Kim September 24, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Wow, you look terrific!

5. Evelyn W September 24, 2013 at 11:58 am #

Happy Bday! And I’m noticing the mantel making an appearance again, haha. I feel like it should have a name now.

• Making it Lovely September 24, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

Ha! Young House Love style? We can call it Manfred the Mantel if you like!

6. erin September 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

Happy Birthday! You’re officially an adult by Hobbit reckoning. ;)

7. Kathy in Michigan September 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Happy Belated Birthday Nicole. You’re already ROCKIN’ 33 sister!
    Wishing you health, happiness and all things good!

8. Dianna September 24, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

Happy Belated! You look fabulous and cheers to a wonderful year for you!

9. Kate September 24, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

Happy belated birthday Nicole! Hope you had a wonderful day celebrating with your lovely family. You’re looking amazing by the way (if you don’t mind me saying so!)

10. Laura September 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Wish I could pull off a short cut! Looks great! Happy birthday and love the bling!

Laura
    House envy

11. Sarah September 24, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

You look super cute, and happy birthday! Whenever I wear my glasses (which are quite similar to yours), I always wimp out with the jewelry. I like how you’ve done it! Also, hautelook is one of my favorite flash sales. I find a lot for my daughter there.

12. Allison September 25, 2013 at 12:20 am #

Such Great Finds!!! I really love number 4 but I have an undying love for emerald. :) Wonderful post!

13. Ashly September 25, 2013 at 9:01 am #

I turned 30 on Monday and bought the pants and shirt you suggested in this post as well jewelry from Bloody Mary Metal with a giftcard. The older I get, the more I embrace my 16 year-old goth self. It’s actually kind of gross.

• Making it Lovely September 25, 2013 at 9:29 am #

I had a 16 year-old goth self too. I spent many a year all in black.

14. Eleni September 25, 2013 at 10:11 am #

Happy birthday!
    It was so surprisingly nice to find out you have become 33!

Wonderful suggestions for clothes, too!

My best wishes for the future!

Eleni

15. Joanna September 26, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

I really, really like how you do sponsored posts. I don’t read a lot of blogs but I read a lot of well-read blogs (if that makes sense) and the way you work in sponsored posts is really seamless when compared to others. I know readers complain about them at times but I give you high marks!

16. Margo September 27, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

You look fantastic!!!

17. Allison October 21, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Just thought you should know that I ordered both the pants and top after this post and I love them. You introduced me to “Always Skinny” jeans from the Gap years ago and I’ve been searching for a great pair of black pants for months, so your recommendation was perfectly timed. Thanks!

18. Amanda November 11, 2013 at 6:02 am #

Why am I not surprised to find out you are a fellow Libra? Libras have a natural eye for aesthetics.

• Amanda November 11, 2013 at 6:08 am #

oops- I guess your technically virgo/libra cusper?