Starting on Our Bedroom

Our last house had a decently sized closet in the bedroom. Brandon had the whole thing to himself, along with a tall, narrow dresser inside. We added a freestanding IKEA Pax wardrobe for my clothes, and I outfitted one half with drawers and shelves to serve as my dresser and storage for bags and jewelry. All of that conveyed with the sale of the house though.

This house has plenty of storage, and I’m loving our shared walk-in closet so far, but we’re going to need more drawer space than just the antique dresser that I picked up in Wisconsin. Ideally, another empire dresser would be nice, but a taller one — something like this. Even this would work if I was looking for a brand-new piece of furniture. I’ve been watching Craigslist for a couple of weeks, and I might have found a possibility. The price is right, but the pictures weren’t clear, there was no real description, and the guy responded with “well, you know, it’s old!” when I asked if the drawers stick. Sounds like a winner!

Living out of laundry baskets is losing its charm real quick, I tell ya. We need to get another dresser in here soon.

Empire Dresser

I’m trying out the rug from downstairs up in the bedroom now. I love it, but it wasn’t the right fit in the front parlor. It will limit our bedding options somewhat (the green setup we had doesn’t look so hot, for instance), but we still have plenty of sheets and quilts that do work. I’m also trying to decide on bedside lighting. I like sconces in bedrooms to free up space on tables/nightstands next to the bed, and I’m leaning toward the long-arm Isaac sconce. (It’s like a grown-up version of the eyeball sconce I got for Eleanor!) The metal finishes throughout the house are brass, so brass is an obvious contender, but black looks fantastic too. If the rug is staying though, I might go with red.

Bedroom Sconce Options

Decisions, decisions.

40 Responses to “Starting on Our Bedroom”

1. Kim @ Yellow Brick Home September 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

Black!!

2. Giulia Doyle September 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

Love that blue bedding in the circle – where’s that from?
    I love the red sconce…such a happy colour – this is looking great.

3. Laurie September 25, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

The red sconces are really cute! The brass looks good too so it’s nice you have some choices. I think a new bedroom these would be fun. Red, white, and blue. It doesn’t have to be patriotic. What you have put together in that mood board is really cute!

I think the guy’s response means the drawers do stick. It depends on what is making them stick though. Sometimes that is pretty easy to fix. I’ve fixed many a sticky old drawer just by running a bar of soap along the glide parts.

• Making it Lovely September 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

Yeah, I’m assuming they stick. ;) It’s cheap enough that we’re going to take a chance on it though.

4. Tatyana September 25, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

I like the brass one the best. I think you can introduce red through accents like pillows, or storage boxes or even the red phone you had in the previous bedroom, and not have to commit to it with the lighting.
    Just curious why you didn’t get the West Elm dresser that matches your nightstands. You might be going against the whole matchy-matchy, so I get it…but I feel like the nightstands are going to be a little out of place now that it appears you are transitioning into a style that is less mid-century modern and more classic (for the lack of better terms). (I’m rooting for the West Elm pieces because I love them and would love to see how you style them.) :)

• Making it Lovely September 25, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

I like the nightstands, but the bed is positioned right next to a window. We used one of them on the windowless side, but I used a pedestal table that we used to have in our library for the other, and now I’m not sure if we’ll split the nightstand set or sell them both and use the money for something else.

5. Sarah September 25, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

I like the rug up there, and I also say go with the red. When your animation rolls around to the brass, I feel bored (Although I really like it when not surrounded by so much neutral. Id vote red first, then black, then brass.

• Making it Lovely September 25, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

I should figure out the wall color soon too. That will influence my decision. You’re right — the brass is a little boring with what’s going on so far (but normally I love it).

6. Laura @ Rather Square September 25, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

The closet spaces in these old homes are so hit-or-miss. We have a very strange closet in our bedroom – a narrow corridor that you enter from one corner of the room, and it runs behind one entire wall. I feel like I’m going to Narnia whenever I try to find something in the back.

I gravitate toward the brass or black sconce. But then again, I’m a neutral gal. I do really like the rest of the pieces you have lined up for this room!

7. Allison September 25, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

Assuming it’s not seriously warped/damaged, if the drawers on the dresser stick, you can usually fix that by rubbing a bar of soap on it (like a proper bar of soap, not a fruity glycerine one). It’s how our grandmothers fixed that issue and it’s worked for me.

• Making it Lovely September 25, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

Someone else mentioned that too. Hopefully it will be that easy.

8. Ashly September 25, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

Black lamps!!They’ll allow you to have more flexibility with the rug (which I don’t like here either, sorry!) and with bedding.

• Vanessa September 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

I’m with Ashly, I don’t care for that rug in the new room either. I feel like you could do better, especially at that price point.

9. Ally September 25, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

I love the brass, but it does look a bit bland paired with the rest of your lovely neutrals, so I say go red! Hope you’re having a lot of fun even though you have so many decisions to make and so much to do!

• Making it Lovely September 25, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

I love this initial period with a million decisions to make!

10. Liz September 25, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Ohh, I have that bed from room in board, but in a grey. Felix and I love it. I like either the red or the brass side lamp, the black is too stark. The red is the perfect pop of color though.

I’ve been loving all of these room by room posts and how you’re progressing through the settling in process and Felix and I will be doing the same shortly (if all goes well!). :)

11. Jane September 25, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

BRASS for the wall light!! I love it and everything will always work with it!! It is also perfectly rustic luxe and works well with all the wood in your home. Just my two cents. Also I may or may not be slightly obsessed with all things brass currently!! I am using brass grandfather clock chains in a jewelry collection for the fall!

12. thelady September 25, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

I like the brass but it seems to matchy matchy with your headboard. The red looks good but it might not go with your paint color choice. Black provides a nice contrast.

13. Kristen September 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

I’m digging the rug in this room. I have to say I vote BRASS for the lamp, and red accents elsewhere! Feel like brass is on it’s way back!

• Christine Hart September 26, 2013 at 6:57 am #

Please don’t tell me brass is coming back. I just painted all my fireplace surrounds a lovely flat black! I just can’t keep up! LOL

• Kristen September 26, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

Probably just wishful thinking on my part. :) I moved into house that was updated in 1980s with brass lighting fixtures and I can’t find anything replacements I like much. But I have a feeling if brass does come back it will look more 70s fabulous than 80s traditional, tho.

14. Nicole September 25, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

I vote brass! It will be the most versatile with this rug, or with changing desires in the future for your “long-haul” house. I do love that rug, so I’m glad you’re keeping it.

15. Vanessa September 25, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

I vote red! Although the brass would be beautiful too. Although the black is gorgeous, not loving it as much with the rest of the room.

16. Nat @ Dear Little House September 25, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

I would go brass, that way it is easier to change the soft furnishings later :)

17. Brittany September 25, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

I love the rug with the red light! And red is classic enough that it could be moved elsewhere down the line.

And I would take a quirky dresser over a fancy new one any day :)

18. Susan September 25, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

I think I like the rug best when the lamp is brass!

19. Christina Slocum September 25, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

The Brass has Class, Girlfriend :)
    Over the longterm, the brass will outlive trends and color way changes.
    Live your new Home and thanks for sharing this process with us.
    Tina

20. theveryflowers September 25, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

Oh, Craigslist; you’re so mysterious…

I, personally, like the brass sconce. I also find it very appealing when things such as lighting have a cohesiveness. Another thing to note is how when using something that will likely stay in place for quite some time, you’re usually better off going with something slightly more classic and neutral, ala brass, and then change out the smaller things or items that get worn out over time, and put a pop of color or pattern there. Then you’d have an easier foundation to work with. Heck, do a red frame on the wall, or some piece of art in the room that is primarily in the color you’re looking for…

21. Miss R September 26, 2013 at 5:20 am #

Oh, I love the red choice!

But I’m sure that even if you decide to go with the brass of black colour, it will still look gorgeous, because you are so talented!

22. Ashley @ She Makes A Home September 26, 2013 at 9:37 am #

I love the direction you’re going! I could go either way with red or brass, but not a big fan of the black.

23. Dianna September 26, 2013 at 11:07 am #

I’m voting for the red sconce. An unexpected pop of a bold color like that is pretty cool, even in a bedroom!

24. Bridget September 26, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

I’ll vote for the black scone because I don’t think they should draw much attention being on the side of the bed. Most of the time it’s not a good focal point but I’m sure you could make all 3 of them work with your special skills. :)

25. Wrenaria September 26, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

Loving that red light with that rug. The brass is lovely and classic but not as visually exciting, though I suppose you could pull in red accents in other ways (ie pillows, art). Loving the rug being in your bedroom rather than the parlor.

26. Noelle @ noelle mullins design September 26, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

I like the brass! Only because bedding hasn’t been chosen yet. If you pick the red light (which is super cute) then the bedding is even more limited because choosing something with red might look too matchy with the light. But it all depends on the bedding, maybe pick that first and then select the light color?

27. Lynell September 26, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

I love the brass, I think it complements so much of what you have and the woodwork of the house. The red is cool but makes the lamp look more fun-retro than classic vintage. Also, maybe you’ll eventually want to swap out that rug again…

28. Angeline September 26, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Red! :)

29. Chernee's House September 28, 2013 at 6:47 am #

I really like the rug in the bedroom – the colors against the floor as well as your current dresser looks wonderful!!

30. Clarissa November 14, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

Nicole- I just discovered your blog, and I must say that I am a huge fan already. The way you design looks so effortless and chic, yet thoughtful. Does that even make sense? But, each picture is even better than the last.

I know what you mean about furnishing a whole house from scratch. My husband and I bought our second house in June. Before we moved, we sold ALL of our furniture. We’d bought it when the hubs was in residency and nothing was great quality. I mean, the new pad was empty. Seriously, no couches, no master bed…nothing. Luckily, the house had already been updated with some wonderful unique and high end finishes, so we did not have to put money into that area right away. We’ve slowly been making it our own with new, vintage and antique pieces. I will surely be using your blog as inspiration.

Clarissa

1. The Other New (Old) Dresser | Making it Lovely - October 1, 2013

[…] That dresser that I mentioned last week is now ours. It was on Craigslist with two photos and the most descriptive description ever: “Old dresser. Nice. Call ______.” It looked like it was in decent shape, it was cheap, and the seller even offered to deliver it (I got the impression that he ferries furniture around Chicagoland on the daily). It was worth a gamble. […]