Eleanor's Room The Victorian House

Unlikely Inspiration

Unlikely InspirationI had a flight today on US Airways (I’m in Palm Springs for Camp Mighty), and the pilots and attendants have added pink to their navy and white uniforms for October. I know that’s sort of a goofy place to find inspiration, but I was already heading in that direction so it’s more like confirmation. Plus I figure that if I’m going to take something as a sign, finding inspiration while on my way to a semi-woo-woo event seems like a good time to do so!

Navy, white, pink, and brass. Not strictly, but mostly. I haven’t found a brass chandelier yet for E’s room. Well, not one that I can afford. I’ve found plenty that I like! If I go all-out and paint E’s ceiling the same color as the walls though, then I can find a light in a shape I love and spray paint it (I have something like this in mind, but for less than $3000). Keeping the walls, ceiling, and trim all the same, dark color (as per Eleanor’s request) can look super-chic and I’m down for a dark room, but I’m leaving the wood as-is.

You Might Also Like...

Michelle
    October 17, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Does this mean no stenciled ceiling?

Laurie
    October 17, 2013 at 5:04 pm

That’s the great thing about navy though, you can pair it with so many colors and take the look is a million different directions. I love the navy with pink and brass. That is going to look great!

AnnW
    October 17, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I was really thinking about going to Camp Mighty! Darn, I would have signed up if I knew you were going! Have a good time. Ann

Susan
    October 17, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Haha reminds me of my H.S. uniform I wore 20 yrs ago. Navy sweater, grey skirt, and white, baby blue, or light pink shirt. Funny where we get inspiration from.

Alisa
    October 17, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Suhweet!!! I wanted pink with the blue all along! It’s so soft and will look amazing with the brass. Have fun at CM, and hope you find lots of inspiration while you are there.

PS: Isn’t the weather gorgeous right now? I’m 4 hours away up the coast and it was 80 today.

Sava
    October 17, 2013 at 7:31 pm

We went with a hidden ceiling fan in our daughter’s room. It just gets really hot in the summer and we have no central air. This was definitely a splurge for the room. It’s not brass and I won’t recommend spray paint a fan (the blades are carefully balanced). Although we put it in after the heat wave, we are greatly looking forward to it next summer. It’s a little traditional for my tastes, but I love the fan.

Jessica from Of Sand & Snow
    October 17, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Camp Mighty sounds like an interesting event… It’s one that I’ve never heard of before.

I’m just curious, what do you (personally) hope to get out of attending? Obviously, it’s an opportunity to network with others; but, judging from their mission statement, it seems like a major part of it is to make an effective and inspiring difference in the world.

What do you hope to “take home”, from this weekend?

May
    October 18, 2013 at 4:23 am

Spotted you on the Camp Mighty promo video. It looks fun, have an amazing time!

Alecia
    October 18, 2013 at 9:36 am

have a great time at camp mighty! I am totally down for a dark room and man why do chandeliers have to be so darn expensive? I will keep my eye out for you!

Have a great weekend Nicole!

Janis
    October 18, 2013 at 9:56 am

Perhaps you’ll have time to check out some vintage stores in Palm Springs for something brassy. Enjoy!

Sarah
    October 18, 2013 at 11:43 am

I’m a little late to the game – but Emily Henderson has that brass star chandelier you love that you posted a while back. You should see if she wants to sell! She is getting ready to move…

Marcee ... ILLINOIS
      October 18, 2013 at 1:26 pm

That is very pretty. I did a double-take on it.

Also the Cabalis (turq.blue) is lovely. Maybe in pink, clear or white. Lots of possibilities.

Hannah
    October 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Love this combo. We’re renting a teeny house that has a ton of blue, off white and navy and I accented the entire house with pink and gray. I’m sure you inspired me. I love your blog, thanks for all the great posts!

Marcee ... ILLINOIS
    October 18, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Your girl is going to be a decorator one day! Maybe sooner than you think Nicole. Well, it is amazing Eleanor has such a great knack for what qualifies as good design. Also what she wants.

We are all anticipating the outcome!

Dark blues and pinks are very often my wardrobe choice. Nicer looking sweatshirts, and sweaters in pink look great w/anything blue.

Enjoy the trip.

stacey
    October 23, 2013 at 9:25 pm

so bummed i didn’t get a chance to say ‘hi’ at Camp Mighty! the funny thing is, I saw this very same article in the US Airways mag on my flight to Palm Springs, lol. i remember thinking it was a very nice pr stunt until i saw the flight attendant on my flight back east wearing a pink scarf. lovely!