Scroll Arm Chairs in Front of the Fireplace

I may have made a mistake. It happens from time to time.

I went to the Jayson Home Warehouse Sale over the weekend, being sure to line up about an hour before doors opened. It was 32 degrees out, and there were 30 people in front of me. Hundreds were in line by the time the sale started.

I had gone specifically in hopes of finding a pair of chairs to place opposite the teal sofa. When the doors opened at 10, people were running and perching on their finds, claiming them immediately. I spotted three Penelope chairs in last season’s green, and I bought two of them with only 30 seconds’ thought. I got a pair of really nice chairs, plus two pillows and a few assorted vases and decorative items for less than the cost of one chair at full price.

Jayson Home Warehouse Sale

Brandon and I had set aside some money when we bought this house to furnish it, instead of sinking it all into the down payment (just as we had at the first house, which was where the budget came from for that kitchen remodel). Even with some money specifically earmarked for furniture though, I can’t buy pieces willy-nilly and I worry that these chairs may have been a mistake. I do share my progress with you honestly here, so you’re seeing the good and the bad. The sure and the not-so-sure.

This is the chair in its currently available color, a deeper green with more blue in it. Full price, of course.

Jayson Home Penelope Chair, Fall 2013

Here’s mine, a more olive green.

Green Penelope Chair from Jayson Home

The scroll arms mimic those of our antique kids’ rocker. Cute.

Scroll Arm Chairs

The chairs look fine in the room. They look great actually, and they work well in a Victorian house, but I’m not sure that they’ll fit with my overall vision for the space. I should probably put some ideas together to share so you can see, but think black (or nearly so) walls, the blue of the sofa and hits of pink tempered by neutrals, a variety of textures, warm metals, and unpainted wood. You can kind of suss it out from my “Feeling at Home” Pinterest board. Now I have two feminine green chairs with scroll arms whereas in the fantasy version of this room, I’d have a pair of Crate & Barrel’s Milo Baughman reissued brass and leather chairs. More masculine, to balance out the cuteness elsewhere.

Seating Area, Making it Lovely

I’m not usually one to make a big purchase without a lot of research and certainty, and it hit me with a bit of buyer’s remorse. I had the same feeling of hesitation with that rug I bought on sale to try in the front parlor, and now it’s perfect up in the bedroom. Maybe I’ll be more into the chairs as we live with them, but if not, I could I try to sell them, break even, and move on. What do you think?

92 Responses to “Scroll Arm Chairs in Front of the Fireplace”

1. Amy J. November 13, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

Nicole…just search for teal blue and olive green on Pinterest for inspiration to tie the couch and chairs together. You need a warm neutral to tie them in together with an accent of orange and cream!

2. Amy J. November 13, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

This is sold out, but something like this with a lighter covered large tufted ottoman to break it up would be gorgeous!

3. Heather S November 13, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

I’m kind of sad that you’ve gotten so many great ideas for using them in your space because I want you to sell the chairs to me! I just bought an old home (as in we closed Friday) and I think those would look amazing in our living room!

I wish I lived closer to Chicago and that you were definitely set on selling them because I would for sure consider it! (I live in Toledo so it’s not an impossible drive…just sayin’!)

4. Abigail November 13, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

I think they look GORGEOUS! Sleep on it and see how you like it?

5. Valentina November 13, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

What about trying them in another one of the rooms in your home? You have so many unique spaces, many of which will certainly need chairs! I don’t think you should give up on them just yet, they’re quite beautiful.

6. Lisa Coen November 13, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

They aren’t my favorite, but if anyone can make them work, you can!!

7. Emily November 13, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

I think the chairs are masculine enough – the tweedy looking fabric, the color and the brass nailhead trim all equal masculine to me. I also love the scrolly arms.

8. Meredith K A November 13, 2013 at 9:34 pm #

I see your hesitation: I generally don’t love that shade of green. BUT I actually really love a more muted green like this when paired with warm natural wood, so with your unpainted trim and especially the even bigger expanse of natural wood shutters, I think these chairs are completely perfect.

9. trixxie November 13, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

I’m going to have to say no to the chairs if your planning on going with dark and moody walls. The overall style of the chairs is a little fussy for my taste, but I do have to admit those blue ones are very pretty…just not in your space. I think both the color and overall shape aren’t going to work. With the shape of your couch, I think you want something more streamlined…those C&B chairs would look smashing. I also like the idea of leather/metal mix to toughen the look up and add a little sparkle. I say sell them and move on.

10. Jo November 13, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Did you keep the stripe sofa? I can see the green chairs working with it in the other parlor.

I totally get what you mean. I do think something brassy & angular would look great in there w the blue sofa.

(The green chairs are pretty gorgeous though & they do look ok as you have it)

11. suzannelee November 13, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

isn’t this what its all about… we’ve bought all our furniture from ethan allen wharehouse sales, crate and barrel outlet, cb2, ikea, and room and board… all at great prices/great deals. but pieces we still liked/admired/.. and making it work… and saving the $$ in the process, and not paying up the yingyang for some “designer” room.. or straight out of the catalog.. but making our own style.. not copying a magazine or pin board. but being happy with what you have and what you can live with.. (and it’s most likely better than everyone else, in my mind.. unless you compare yourself with the non- do-it-yourselves).. cause it’s all about self reliance.. and doing it yourself..its the hipster way.

12. Diane November 13, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

I am not sure I would refer to those chairs as feminine, more as classic and stately even though there are curves. I think they work nicely with the rolled arms of your sofa and I like the color contrast. We all question ourselves sometimes but they are beautiful chairs. Enjoy

13. Alison November 14, 2013 at 6:47 am #

I think the chairs look good, but it would be easier for me to evaluate with a wider, more objective pull-back of the room. For me, your (very pretty!) tighter shots are super flattering to the chairs and the teal-green-wood tones that you have going on.

14. Lindsay November 14, 2013 at 7:30 am #

I think they look fab – your house has enough personality to absorb the different colours and styles. My advice would be to embrace the eclectic! x

15. Ali Burtt November 14, 2013 at 8:20 am #

I’m with you here. I like these chairs, but I love the shot of masculine modern that the C&B ones would give. If you can’t afford to have both, moving the green ones elsewhere, sell the green at your cost and move on.

16. Erin November 14, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

Personally, I love them and would love to have them in my home. They ARE a totally different look from the leather chairs to which you linked, but I prefer the softer more organic green chair with its fiddlehead armrests to the angular black.

17. liz November 14, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

I like the chairs in the room. The pink rug and pillows I’m not so sure about:)I’d like to see some black and white and maybe some houndstooth in the room- that would man it up!

18. elz November 14, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

I love ‘em. If you don’t love them as you live with them, it might be worth re-covering them. I love their funky arms and would buy them in a nanosecond and make the room work around them!

19. Barbara Shirkie November 18, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Consider having some green in that black paint. I love the chairs. With some constructed cushions that contain all your choices in colours (reduce the amount of pink, but have varying intensities of it when you do use it), and pick up both the greens and blues in art and the matts around it in the frames. You are so talented I’m sure you can add some greeny gold lusters to pick up highlights on your frames and perhaps the edges of the matts where appropriate too.
    Picking up a carpet with either a hint of blue as well as green, or the reverse is an obvious possibility, and some planters. Rooms evolve…that is the magic and the fun of it!
    Love your blog! Love the house! I, too, have cranberry hall lamps!
    Barbara

20. Tonja January 19, 2014 at 11:34 am #

Hi I just found your blog, love it. Noticed that you have the same Antique kids rocker that I have. Do you know anything about it. My dad thinks that mine is around 100 years old as it was given to my Grandmother as a child and before that belonged to her aunt. Just curious. Thanks! Tonja