22 June 26, 2007

Now We’re Cookin’

Our countertops have arrived and we now have a usable kitchen! Yippee! Remember what it looked like?

Here it is now:

kitchen after

And remember my little white birds? They ended up over here:

kitchen after

There’s still some work to be done, but the kitchen looks (and functions) SO much better!

lsaspacey
    June 26, 2007 at 1:34 pm

It looks incredible! You are amazing, you just keep on working and the whole house is looking fabulous for it.

Julieta
    June 26, 2007 at 1:55 pm

Looks great! What are you going to do for a back-splash? 18 months after our reno and we still can’t decide…

Sion
    June 26, 2007 at 2:07 pm

Holy moly that’s a big improvement. Congratulations on the remodel!

Making it Lovely
    June 26, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Thanks, everyone! The counters are actually brown, but they do look black in the photos. They’re “saddle brown” quartz.

Backsplash? Um, we haven’t decided yet either! Probably yellow/green subway tiles, but we aren’t exactly sure.

Porcelain
    June 26, 2007 at 2:43 pm

Wow!!! It looks amazing! Can’t wait to see the rest of it.

Aimee
    June 26, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Very nice! We redid our kitchen and it was supposed to have black countertops too… sadly we had to switch to tan tiles for budget sake. But, I still am in love with the white and black look. The birds are really cute too.

Peggy
    June 26, 2007 at 4:38 pm

Looks really great. I love the green knobs!

Julieta
    June 26, 2007 at 4:49 pm

We can’t decide between beadboard (tile or authentic) or subway tiles. I have serious problems with all three, which is why we have no backsplash! Well, and the fact that we went over budget, too. ;-)

decorpig
    June 26, 2007 at 7:57 pm

sweet!

DawnMarie
    June 27, 2007 at 3:33 pm

Love it! One hundred percent improvement over the old kitchen. I like how it is modern but still keeps with the feel of your home.

katiedid
    June 27, 2007 at 4:52 pm

Great Kitchen! I have been using a camp stove for over a year due to our kitcehn remodel. Long story. Yours is lovely!

girl meets glamour
    June 27, 2007 at 7:49 pm

Yeah!!! This is such inspiration for me and our remodel…we were looking at dark stone and similar cabinets too (are those Ikea, by chance?) It’s really great to see your home coming along, it give me hope :)

becoming-home
    June 28, 2007 at 6:56 am

Yes, our kitchens are definitely similar.. though I’m jealous of your brown rather than black countertops!

I’m trying to decide if I should glaze the cabinets a similar blue-green color to the wall so that there’s still some color left in the room once I put the white subway tile backsplash in. Of course, I’m having trouble making up my mind :)

Anne
    June 29, 2007 at 5:24 pm

I’m new here and I was hoping someone else would ask first, but can you source the materials? Countertop, cabinets, pulls? And is that wall apricot or are the lights deceiving me?

Kim
    July 1, 2007 at 6:28 am

My husband and I closed on our house earlier in the week and I have to say, your blog is INSPIRING! I started a blog tracking our home improvements, but yours in just lovely.

Thanks for the inspiring kitchen reno….ours is in similiar neglect as yours was.

Karin
    March 10, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Wow, I love your kitchen, mine is close, but we are considering painting the cabinets white (they are this awful pickled oak) and picking a nice yellow for the walls, and you seem to have found just the right shades… Do you mind telling your paint colors?

Making it Lovely
    March 10, 2009 at 4:22 pm

The yellow is “Bronzed Beige” from Benjamin Moore.

Isa
    November 2, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hi!! may I know where I can find this lovely wall birds???

Cathy
    April 20, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Hi! I just came across your blog today and love your home! Can you tell me more about the white birds on the wall in your kitchen? I could not get the link above to work. Thank you!

Making it Lovely
      April 21, 2012 at 12:35 am

They’re vintage, from eBay. Try searching for “syroco” and you may be able to find something similar.

Claire
    October 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Hi! I know this post was forever ago, but we just bought some similar birds for our home and I remembered that you had them too……how did you go about hanging them (what kind of hooks etc.). I’ve tried googling it with zero success. Thanks!

Making it Lovely
      October 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I just hung them on regular nails. My birds had little hooks attached on the back.