The Striped Rug

What do you think?

Striped Rug in the Dining Room

The dining room is so jumbled right now. The fabric in the hutch, the different colored walls, one zigzag chair, roman shades that don’t match anything else, PLUS the new black and white rug. All false starts with no follow through.

I like the way the rug adds pattern, and it brings in a dark color without making the whole room dark. It is the only room in the house that has black though, which is a little strange to me. I don’t know if it’s out of place or if I just need to get used to it.

Striped Rug in the Dining Room
empty

Striped Rug in the Dining Room
with the table and chairs

If I keep the rug, here’s what I’m thinking… I’d switch out the chair fabric for a different solid (pink? orange? lilac?), and paint the ceiling and walls above the picture rail the same color. The main walls would be cream or grey. Curtains could be creamy white with trim to tie in to the chair fabric. Whatever fabric I use for the curtain trim could also go in the hutch.

Striped Rug in the Dining Room

The zigzag chair and the rug don’t work together, though I was hoping they would. It’s one or the other, but I’m not sure which…

62 Responses to “The Striped Rug”

1. Darren March 25, 2008 at 3:30 am #

You could add a cushion or something in my lastest fabric im designing,to bring in the black… if your interested I can send you an image of the design and then go from there.

2. Colleen in MA March 25, 2008 at 8:32 am #

this is why i love your blog – you experiment and you’re not afraid of posting all the results. if it works, great! if it doesn’t you try again. you are making me more comfortable with trying new things out in my home and with being flexible. my two cents: return the rug, you many lovely things in that dining room already. perhaps some day that rug will come into your life again, just not today.

3. maria March 25, 2008 at 8:33 am #

I’d keep the rug and add Chartreuse fabric for the chairs. I think the rug works just fine but you’ll need to add an accent color to make it really sing.

4. Sally March 25, 2008 at 11:02 am #

What happened to the orange rug? If you’re wanting to unload it, I might be interested…and I’m in Oak Park. ;) Just email me…

5. rena March 28, 2008 at 9:59 am #

LOVE the rug. its the chairs im not so crazy about. lilac idea sounds beautiful and as long as nothing else is too bright in there it wont come off as too feminine. i dont like the idea of greay walls though. i’d paint them crisp white.

6. Olivia March 29, 2008 at 9:06 am #

It’s not the color black that is the problem, it’s the lines in the rug that are the problem. I think going with a bold color or design is a great idea. However, its the design on the rug that is a distraction. I am so sorry but ;0)Change the Rug! Oh! love the idea of the grey walls what about a pewter color?

7. tbird January 29, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

Beautiful apartment!

That black and white rug is exactly what I’m looking for! Where did you find it?

8. Ann Ryan February 8, 2009 at 10:14 am #

I hope you didn’t return the rug. I looks so chic. I have arts and crafts oak furniture that I’ve gotten pretty tired of and had been thinking about using a black and white striped rug to provide an updated feeling, and your pics convinced me to do it. Can you share where you got the rug?

9. Making it Lovely February 8, 2009 at 10:26 am #

I did return the rug, and I’ve since wallpapered the dining room.

The rug was from IKEA.

10. Alison Keiser August 24, 2009 at 12:51 pm #

I love your rug. I only wish it were less expensive (for my little apartment). That is all.

• tbird August 24, 2009 at 1:08 pm #

they sell a smaller size at ikea…

1. Making it Lovely » Blog Archive » The Living Room, Reimagined - June 3, 2008

[...] I get to bring back the black and white rug I loved so much! I like mixing patterns, and I think the Astrid chair in black and white would be nice and punchy. [...]