The Wallpapered Dining Room

I love it. It’s exactly what I’ve wanted since we first decided to buy this house, and I even chose one of the wallpapers I was originally considering.

Wallpapered Dining Room

Here’s a completely empty ‘before’ shot:
dining room

And a nice ‘after’ to compare it to:
Wallpapered Dining Room

Wallpapering a house that’s almost 100 years old (while being five months pregnant) wasn’t exactly the easiest project we’ve done. I wouldn’t say that it was hard, just very time-consuming. It probably took us about 15 hours, but we’re so proud of the job we’ve done.

Wallpapered Dining Room

I had ordered 4 yards of pink upholstery fabric on eBay for $10, so I used that on the chairs and along the back of the built-in hutch.

Wallpapered Dining Room

I love the way the living and dining rooms work together.

Living Room and Wallpapered Dining Room

Living Room and Wallpapered Dining Room

So happy!

Wallpapered Dining Room

87 Responses to “The Wallpapered Dining Room”

1. Jessica December 9, 2008 at 1:12 am #

Hi! I just recently discovered your blog and awesome style! The wallpaper is gorgeous and I can’t wait to see the rest of your nursery!

2. joyce December 9, 2008 at 1:46 am #

It looks so pretty! I think the pink fabric really makes the whole thing sing.

3. Lynne December 9, 2008 at 11:24 am #

I love that red chair – what a great fabric.

4. Nadine December 9, 2008 at 11:30 am #

Making it Lovely, indeed!

I love your dining room. So much. That wallpaper is just pure joy plastered on the walls.

5. kay* December 9, 2008 at 12:22 pm #

what a fantastic job – everything is lined up so nicely – a total professional job!

6. Flyleaf Books December 9, 2008 at 1:26 pm #

I love it, too! Nicely done!

7. Cheryl December 9, 2008 at 2:37 pm #

this is absolutely GORGEOUS. let me know when you start designing other peoples homes!!

8. teresa December 9, 2008 at 4:16 pm #

So pretty!!! I just love how your home has so much personality and individuality.

9. Collette December 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm #

Your dining room looks fantastic! I absolutely love it!

10. JLC December 9, 2008 at 6:22 pm #

Love!

11. Sade December 10, 2008 at 6:48 am #

I just love the wallpaper’s print!

12. coral December 10, 2008 at 12:26 pm #

this turned out just perfect. With all the swoops and whorls it reminds of the old-fashioned grandma style wallpaper you find in older homes, only brought way up in scale and modernized with less detail, new colors.
    Looks great!

13. terry December 10, 2008 at 7:38 pm #

Hi Nicole,

I think your taste is usually fantastic, but I have to say that I don’t like the wallpaper and thought it looked better before.

Your website is great though!

14. Diane December 10, 2008 at 8:08 pm #

Oh my! Now that’s what I call Making it Lovely! Absolutely beautiful. I love how the wallpaper plays off of the pink paint in the living room.

15. Jenny December 10, 2008 at 8:47 pm #

oh! it’s just beautiful! you did a wonderful job. do you find that the “nesting” is kicking in even more now that you are expecting? i am big into decorating and when i was pregnant with (our now 6 year old) son, i felt like it kicked in even more, awesome! maybe it never went away after that too… :)

16. Michelle December 15, 2008 at 2:41 pm #

LOVE your whole house! I recently moved into my first apartment, and found your blog looking for decorating ideas. I love your style. WHERE did you get the really cool green *things” in the vase on your tv stand. MUST HAVE! :)

17. Katy December 19, 2008 at 3:08 pm #

Where did you get the fabric in the living room? I love it.

18. Caitlin December 19, 2008 at 10:56 pm #

It looks so great!! I love how the chandelier looks with everything else.

19. Sallie December 23, 2008 at 10:08 am #

I totally covet that chair from Anthropologie!

20. rachel January 6, 2009 at 11:37 am #

that pillow on your couch is just what i have been looking for. it is the exact palette of my living room. wherever did you get it?

21. Jana May January 12, 2009 at 5:08 pm #

Ack! It looks totally amazing!
    Nice job!

22. NANCY January 14, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

I love to see creative re-dos of old places without completely ripping them out! Nice use of wallpaper.

23. bungalowbliss January 21, 2009 at 10:27 am #

I’m not usually a fan of wallpaper, but this is gorgeous! What a fun pattern! You guys did a wonderful job.

I love that you have picture rails in your living room, too. It’s a nice little visual extra.

24. melody yesterday January 25, 2009 at 5:21 pm #

i know about wonky walls from having fixed-up “the unfixable” 1870’s nightmare house.But my mom (r.i.p.) was no stranger to hanging wallpaper & did several of my walls “for fun!” (UG! if you can imagine!)
    These were SO BAD,rough plaster,holes left from years worth of “wall art”
    but she did 1 wall a day before lunch.She told me she LOVED hanging wallpaper because when she was a kid each house they lived in (& there were many) 1 of the 1rst things her mom did was wallpaper!
    hmmm
    well MY old walls were lopsided due to someone doing a BAD BAD job of jacking up the floor from the basement throwing it off a LOT – it really messed everything up : doors were off kilter- HUGE mess.
    But as I recall she she told me once about decorating
    “don’t be stingy with paper paint or fabric”
    meaning too often to conserve a little curtains were wrong or pinching back in another way it looked “cheap”
    So those 3 things were things to definatly not be stingy about.
    She cut 3 strips of paper at a time measuring out the length of the longest of the wonkiness & after it was cut rolled out the next & cut it from the first (not using the measuring tape after the first one)
    & the 3rd one the same.
    so the next 2 strips were longer than the 1rst due to the wonkiness (great word by the way THANKS)
    but easily trimmed & tucked.
    SHE WAS FAST
    I miss mom
    I have almost 1/4th of my kitchen at a new place papered realizing I never WAS & never will be MOM (this time unfortunatly)

25. lori February 2, 2009 at 11:05 pm #

oh my, where did you get that gorgeous chair in your living room? If you upholstered it yourself, do you still have the info on the fabric?

it’s **lovely**

26. Holly April 22, 2009 at 8:08 pm #

I’m in love with the chair in your living room! I’ll have to read a few more posts to see where it came from….

27. Jems by Judye October 3, 2009 at 12:26 am #

Wall paper looks fabulous! Lovely dining room.

28. Adriana October 16, 2009 at 4:54 pm #

I love your place, love the paper in your DR

29. Amie Hartman February 26, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

Oh so gorgeous! I wish my DH would give me such creative license and allow more pink in our home! Great job!

30. Meredith July 20, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

Where did youu get that wallpaper??

31. Becca March 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

I just discovered your blog and was amazed to see the print in your dining room of the woman sitting at a cake-covered table with an eager-looking seal gazing up at her. There is a small French bakery in my town that has the same print on their wall. I have loved it for years and hoped (without) success to find out who the artist is, or where I could find a print. If you had any information on it, I would be thrilled to know! Thanks!

1. Closing time « Two Brides - May 18, 2009

[...] pink! I saw this room on Making it Lovely and knew that I *must* paint a room pink before I die. So the living room it was. 0 Comments No [...]

2. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Time for a New FLOR - June 23, 2009

[...] sisal rug in our dining room is about five years old, and it has a big threadbare spot on it that was just made much worse this [...]

3. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Wallpaper for Eleanor’s ‘Big Girl’ Room - July 12, 2010

[...] My dining room is wallpapered in Mibo’s Clackett Lane, but before I decided to go with that pattern I had actually bought several rolls of a vintage design on eBay. I didn’t use it for Eleanor’s nursery (obviously), but I have been planning to work it in to her ‘big girl’ room when she’s ready. I’ve already used some of the wallpaper to line the drawers of Eleanor’s dresser that I painted pink, but there is still plenty left. [...]

4. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Black Spindle Back Chairs - August 31, 2010

[...] trim white (it’s on my 30 Before Thirty list), and I’d like to paint the ceiling too. The wallpaper is staying (I’m going to have to be very careful when painting the trim), and so is the rug. [...]