75 March 21, 2008

A Key Chain and a Dog Tag

I finally found my inkjet compatible shrinky dinks paper! I made the key chain I had wanted to make back in December, and I also made a cute dog tag for Murray. I’ve edited the photos of Murray’s tag to remove or blur our address and phone number, but the info is on there.

PO Box Key Chain
for my PO Box

Murray's New Collar & Tag
Collar from Pattern & Paw. Enter ‘nicoleislovely’ to save 15%!

How To?

It’s a very easy project.

First, you’ll need to come up with a design. I know that not everybody is artistically inclined, so… I created a free Pet Tag Template for you! It’s the tag I used for Murray, cleaned up and simplified for widespread distribution. ;) You’ll need Photoshop to use the template, but I also included a plain jpeg version.

You’ll have to lighten your design at least 50% before printing. The 3″ circle will shrink down to about 1.25″ after baking, and the colors will be much more vivid. After printing, cut your design out and punch a hole now if you want one.

Cut the Circles Out…

Keep an eye on the shrinky dinks while they’re baking. Mine only took three minutes.

Bake on a Paper Bag
before baking

Out of the Oven
fresh out of the oven

You can leave them as-is, but a clear topcoat is recommended. I just used clear nail polish.

Seal With Clear Polish

I left the back of my key chain white, but I colored the back and sides of Murray’s dog tag with a brown Sharpie.

Color the Backs

That’s it!

Sleepy Murray

Della Lindsey
    October 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Nichole, thank you, I have been looking for a way to put my artwork on jewelry. This is definitely inspiring!

November 7, 2008 at 12:36 am

God gave me the idea for a key chains business,or at least make them to give away at some of our retreats. You instructions are very simple and I think it would be a wonderful start to my business. A good way to put extra income into the household and everyone can help.

November 12, 2008 at 5:56 am

Hi there! I love your blog and your fabulous ideas! As soon as I saw this one in your archives, I found the inkjet shrinky dinks online and have received them today. I’m now ready to create lovely new tags for our dogs. However I can’t open your template. Would you please add the template again or email it to me.

December 16, 2008 at 2:36 am

This would be perfect for my dogs. How can I get the template?

Welcome Party, Part 2 — Elizabeth Anne Designs: A Wedding Blog
    January 7, 2009 at 5:00 pm

[…] goes to the fabulous Nicole of Making it Lovely.  Her detailed Shrinky Dink tutorial is here.  I used the clear Shrinky Dink paper, which didn’t exactly come out clear but wasn’t […]

My Little Corner of the World » Blog Archive » The Welcome Party Part 2
    January 7, 2009 at 10:32 pm

[…] inspiration goes to the fabulous Nicole of Making it Lovely. Her detailed Shrinky Dink tutorial is here. I used the clear Shrinky Dink paper, which didn’t exactly come out clear but wasn’t […]

50 Handmade Gift Ideas
    April 22, 2009 at 8:00 am

[…] 32. Shrinky Dink Projects […]

July 24, 2009 at 12:35 am

Your tags are awesome! I am not artistically inclined, and the link to the template is dead. If you see this, could you please re-link the template? Thank you, thank you, thank you!

December 16, 2009 at 7:18 am

might be the cutest thing ever! I am going to run to the store to find shrinkydink paper!

December 23, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Love this site. So glad I stumbled on it. Oak Park is one of my favorite places on earth. I cannot wait to visit the store next time I am in town.

I have been searching the site for the dog tag download to no avail! Help

December 28, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Love this, would also like the template. Please send?!

Andrea Withrow
    April 6, 2010 at 11:36 am

I too would like the template. Gorgous dog btw

June 23, 2010 at 10:26 am

I love these….so cute. Looks like I’m the only one though that can’t open the template. Am I trying to get it from the wrong spot?

Wooden Disc DIY Keychains | Making it Lovely
    January 5, 2011 at 10:04 am

[…] know how I love a good DIY keychain, right? I think I’m going to have to pick up some wooden discs […]

January 7, 2011 at 8:24 am

Would you please send me the link for the shrinky dink key chain circle. Thank you so very much for a great project.

Sharon Abbey
    January 18, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I made these for my dogs (before I found your site). I used the printable shrinky dink plastic as well as the traceable ones. They all turned out well, the traceable ones had better and true colors, the plastic printable ones ‘smeared’ with exposure to water even after coating them.
    The BIGGEST problem I had was the hole. I created it according to the directions, and had to remake it when it came out of the oven while still flexible. It was far enough away from the edge and was the perfect size for the ring (however using a regular size hole punch is not recommended in the Shrinky Dinks instructions, because it shrinks to nothing, I found this out) I was happy with how most of mine turned out ( I made 6 for my dogs) but withing a month, the hole had broken on every single one of them. The plastic seemed to be more sturdy than the traceable, but they all broke with normal use and the dogs playing with each other. I still have a ton of pages left so Im going try again. Any suggestions before I do???

Making it Lovely
      February 2, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I had good results with a regular-sized hole punch, but I did find that it broke after a while as well. Unfortunately, I don’t think they hold up to heavy-use (though mine did last longer than yours). You can try reinforcing the opening with metal, perhaps something from a jewelry supply store?

May 2, 2011 at 4:10 pm

they actually make a thinker one now designed for luggage and pet tags its called ‘ULTRA THICK MISTY WHITE’

however they don’t have any of that size/kind for printers that Ive seen but they do mention that they can be used for designs on both sides, which is nifty. you can make the front pretty with just their name and then your address and phone number on the back.

Making it Lovely
    February 2, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I’ve updated the post to include a new link to the free Pet Tag Template!

March 27, 2011 at 11:21 am

Great idea! I’ve also read that recyclable #6 plastic will “shrinky dink” too! – just another idea out there.

April 14, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I loved it! I want to make some for my little Emma, can you please tell me what kind of paper you used?

Daily DIY Pet Pattern – Make A Shrinky Dink Pet Tag | The Doggie Stylish Blog
    April 1, 2013 at 1:13 am

[…] The Making It Lovely blog has a free template to make your very own tag. See the free tutorial here. […]

The Holiday DIY Gift Guide - Reasons To Skip The Housework
    November 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm

[…] Keychain and a Dog Tag  ::  Making it Lovely […]

September 1, 2016 at 9:00 am

Do you know if you can print on the ink jet sheets and also color on them with possibly colored pencils? or permanent markers?

• 1 2