The New Patio

It took a whole lot of tamping, and adding gravel, and leveling sand, and the laying of pavers… but it’s finally done.

The New Patio

We have a patio!

I did buy the garden stool from Lowe’s that nikkirose mentioned. I think it’s cute with the Orbit chairs – they needed something solid and sturdy to contrast against their spindley legs.

The New Patio

We spread grass seed around the perimeter – hopefully it will take. I want to create a garden out there too, but that can wait. Right now, we’re just thrilled to have a level, hard surface to put our patio furniture on.

The New Patio

Oh, and we’re exhausted.

40 Responses to “The New Patio”

1. Samae July 10, 2008 at 3:06 pm #

Wow. It looks great! I love everything, but I especially love the table. I sooo wish there was an Ikea near us! Thanks for sharing.

2. amy purple July 10, 2008 at 3:33 pm #

It looks wonderful and the edging along the edge of the sidewalk looks PERFECT! Look at your fancy BBQ too! Summer time fun is in store for your yard!

3. i suwannee July 10, 2008 at 3:36 pm #

i’m interested in how that pillow holds up outside. i love it. keep me updated.

4. Ileana July 10, 2008 at 3:41 pm #

It looks fabulous! Cookout at your place this weekend! ;)

5. tia July 10, 2008 at 3:45 pm #

wonderful job! i wish i had the inclination to attack my yard like that.

6. My July 10, 2008 at 3:52 pm #

Looks snazzy…

7. Cindy July 10, 2008 at 3:53 pm #

Congrats on the new patio!! All we currently have is our balcony and I pray every day for a house of our very own so I can design the perfect backyard. I am envious of those with grass :(

8. Nicole July 10, 2008 at 4:08 pm #

lovely!

9. londoncalling July 10, 2008 at 4:11 pm #

Looks great! I NEED 2 of those ikea chairs.

10. seven July 10, 2008 at 4:32 pm #

So cute! I love it. And I’m totally jealous.

11. Miss Scarlett July 10, 2008 at 4:37 pm #

Lovely!

Now all you need is a nice Pergola over top!!

12. Jules July 10, 2008 at 5:10 pm #

Oh to have your energy and fallow through. The Mister and I can’t seem to find the time or desire to work on the house–which is sad because it really needs it!

13. Jules July 10, 2008 at 5:10 pm #

Ignore the typos in above post. Sigh.

14. Casey July 10, 2008 at 5:44 pm #

Love it. Where is your table from?

15. LeeAnn July 10, 2008 at 6:15 pm #

That looks amazing! I know how much hard work it took to make that happen. Good for you! You’ll have years of enjoyment out in that outdoor space you created. :)

16. Nicole July 10, 2008 at 6:22 pm #

Looks amazing… what a great job! Bonus: you have tons of summer left to enjoy it!

17. kimberlymichelle July 10, 2008 at 6:44 pm #

what a wonderful job! It’s it so nice to just have a little piece of non-dirt in your yard? Our patio is quite small too… with no furniture… but we love it!

18. sunandstone July 10, 2008 at 8:01 pm #

looks great! can i ask where you got the little white+metal planters?

19. southern hostess July 10, 2008 at 8:13 pm #

It looks great! This apartment dweller is jealous.

20. Carol July 10, 2008 at 8:20 pm #

Well done! I get tired just looking at the directions for putting a paver patio in. It looks wonderful. A great space to enjoy the outdoors.

21. Sarah July 10, 2008 at 8:24 pm #

Oh, it looks GREAT!!!! Just in case you are looking (and this isn’t a hint, I just love mine), wonderful bushes for around A/C units are DWARF burning bush. They grow super fast, screen our unit wonderfully and the dwarf are good for smaller yards (we have a “bung” too).

Love reading your blog and seeing your progress! I’m jealous of your decorating skills. xo

22. Jennifer July 10, 2008 at 8:36 pm #

Absolutely beautiful. You do such a lovely job. How inspiring!!

23. Jessica July 10, 2008 at 9:55 pm #

The Patio looks great. I love the long wooden table.

24. Shannon July 10, 2008 at 10:31 pm #

Oh wow! That looks like SO MUCH work! I had no idea that so much went into creating a patio! Talk about some serious dedication!

25. Sara July 10, 2008 at 10:33 pm #

Did you have to cut some of the pavers to go around the curve in the sidewalk? How did you go about that?

Looks amazing, by the way!

26. Cathe July 10, 2008 at 11:55 pm #

Wow, I am in awe… your patio is lovely! All we have in our yard in a patio deck that is too high and too large with some dying grass all around. Sigh…

27. Yesi Yesi July 11, 2008 at 1:22 am #

you do wonders! sometimes i wish your blog was a tv show, haha! awesome awesome job!

28. Mona July 11, 2008 at 6:26 am #

I love that garden stool and I like that you did a lot of this yourself it looks so great.

29. Making it Lovely July 11, 2008 at 10:03 am #

Casey, the table is from IKEA, and sunandstone, the planters were from CB2 (last year). Sara, we did have to cut a lot of pavers. We used a little handheld rotary saw to score the pavers on all sides, and then we wacked off the ends with a hammer.

Sarah, we have a dwarf burning bush! I put it elsewhere in the yard though. Maybe I’ll see how I like it and get more? I’m planning on building a cover for the air conditioner units too.

Yesi Yesi, sometimes I wish my blog was a tv show too. Hee. ;)

30. Tatyana July 11, 2008 at 11:54 am #

It looks amazing. I would need 20 cups of coffee to be able to do what you do – all these projects + your business. Impressive!
    I love the stool. I can’t believe it’s so affordable…

31. Kelly July 12, 2008 at 3:19 pm #

Looks great! We have the paver patio, but we are missing a table and chairs for dining outside.

32. Goody July 14, 2008 at 1:39 am #

great job, now i hope you guys relaxed there all weekend…

33. nikkirose July 14, 2008 at 1:27 pm #

I am so glad that my excessive shopping is helping the masses! The garden stool looks great out there and I love the aerial shot of your patio area. Thanks for inspiring us, Nicole.

34. At Home Redesigns July 14, 2008 at 8:46 pm #

I’m loving the pop of color with the pillow and garden stool…I’m also enjoying your blog and plan to add you to my blog roll.

35. M&Co July 17, 2008 at 9:29 am #

And what a perfect patio! Stunning work! nd I love the chairs! And that fabulous pillow!! Have fun and enjoy many summer days and evenings out there :-)

36. hsk July 17, 2008 at 12:31 pm #

good work…that wall is screaming for some vines. throw up a trellis and grow some wisteria or climbing hydrangea.

37. Velvet July 22, 2008 at 7:41 am #

Mmm, looks like a lovely summer patio. Really nice place to spend some time at the weekends!

38. Annie February 9, 2011 at 11:51 am #

Your patio looks awesome! Is there a list of tools/items required for this project? And/or any tips amazing results? We have a smaller space but would love to create a patio like this. Yours is perfection!

1. Making it Lovely » Blog Archive » Another Little Garden - July 16, 2008

[...] know how I said that I wanted a little garden around the patio? But that I was too exhausted to do it, and that it could wait? Yeah. I changed my [...]

2. New Outdoor Dining Table | Making it Lovely - June 25, 2012

[...] outdoor dining table went kaput this year. It was cheap, but we thought it would last longer than four years. The wood went rotten, and one of the extensions wobbled right off. There’s a reason [...]