Up for the Challenge

And what a challenge it will be… I can barely waddle down the stairs these days. Still, even with a baby that’s due in nine days (yikes!), Brandon and I are always up for a good project. That’s why we’re thrilled to be participating in the Better Homes & Gardens’ 48-Hour Challenge!

The 48-Hour Challenge

We asked five of our favorite home and garden bloggers to create clever weekend projects for outdoor living, using $500 in materials from The Home Depot. Throughout April, they’ll be blogging about the process, from inspiration and design to shopping and building. In May, we’ll post the finished projects, and you’ll vote for the most creative. The person who created your favorite will receive a $5,000 bonus!

Is that exciting or what? I’ve been thinking a lot about what to do with the front porch, so we’re going to work on it for the challenge! We’re going to create a little dining area and a separate lounging/relaxing area. We’ll be using plenty of green (since I’ve been obsessed with it lately), and of course I’ll have to bring in at least a little pink.

You can head on over to Better Homes and Gardens to check out the other four bloggers that are taking part. I was excited to see that John and Sherry from This Young House will also be working on their front porch — how awesome to be participating in this challenge with friends! I’m really looking forward to seeing all of the finished projects.

Of course I can’t wait to share more with you, but for now you’ll just have to wait and see… And wish us luck!

27 Responses to “Up for the Challenge”

1. Manda April 5, 2009 at 1:01 am #

Surely you get a handy cap being 9 months pregnant! Good luck, I can’t wait to see all the results!

2. kim de montreal April 5, 2009 at 5:46 am #

Ohhh, this is so exciting for you guys. And so great since you’ve been talking about your ideas for the front porch for a while now. I can’t wait to see how it looks.
    Good luck and have fun!!!

3. Denise April 5, 2009 at 8:44 am #

I like Option 2 for your front porch. With your baby due to arrive soon, I can see you spending many hours on your shaded porch cuddling your little one. You’ll want a really comfortable lounge chair, some fabulous pillows, a side table and maybe somewhere to prop your feet! Congratulations. Can’t wait to see what you put together.

4. Ivory Pearl Interiors April 5, 2009 at 10:35 am #

I can’t wait to see the results!

5. Joi April 5, 2009 at 11:23 am #

How fun! I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

6. John & Sherry April 5, 2009 at 12:06 pm #

Right back atcha, Nicole. We are so pumped that you’re a part of the challenge too. We’re really excited to see what you, Brandon (and baby B) come up with!

xoxo,
    S & J

7. Jasmine April 5, 2009 at 1:07 pm #

That’s SO exciting! Congratulations! I can’t wait to see how everyone does (but I hope you win, shhhhh!).

8. robin April 5, 2009 at 1:12 pm #

how fun! hope your wood flooring is well sealed in case your water breaks while you’re out there! i do love the idea of the front porch being more loungey rather than dining like. can’t wait to see what you do! good luck :O)

9. Erin April 5, 2009 at 1:29 pm #

Good luck! I’ll be rooting for you. I think you’re crazy, but I admire your drive. :) It will turn out fantastic!

10. Robyn April 5, 2009 at 3:20 pm #

oooo, I’m so excited you got selected! I can’t wait to follow this and good luck! I am in your corner for sure…

11. Michelle April 5, 2009 at 3:21 pm #

HOW FUN! Don’t over do-it. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

12. moderneve April 5, 2009 at 3:35 pm #

i am really looking forward to everyone’s great ideas. husband and i are about to embark on our very own backyard landscaping challenge. budget: $400 cash from our garage sale this weekend and a $300 home depot gift card leftover from christmas. can’t wait to be inspired!

13. pearllinds April 5, 2009 at 4:37 pm #

How cool – I’m so jealous!!! I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with. And I’m so excited for you and Brandon – babies are the best!!

14. nifty&thrifty April 5, 2009 at 5:20 pm #

What an honor to be chosen by BHG! I can’t wait to see how you and the other contestants stretch that $500 budget. It’s nice to get ideas about budget friendly projects. I’m sure your porch will turn out great! Are you still looking for a porch swing? I think that’d be a must-have with the new baby!

15. luuvely April 5, 2009 at 8:27 pm #

congrats! i cant wait! :)

16. Fiona April 6, 2009 at 6:30 am #

Go, you! Between you being a little go-getter about to deliver and Anna at Door16 working like a fiend, you bloggers shame me! Good luck!

17. Victoria Shields April 6, 2009 at 8:21 am #

Congratulations! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

18. Making it Lovely April 6, 2009 at 11:45 am #

The weather is just not cooperating with us… SNOW! We had hoped to do the project over the weekend, but it was too cold!

19. Jess LC April 6, 2009 at 1:28 pm #

I can’t wait to see what you came up with! I also like the couple from This Young House, such a great project for you all!

Good luck!

20. Melanye April 6, 2009 at 1:48 pm #

I can’t wait to see the results too! What a fun project!

21. erin April 6, 2009 at 6:21 pm #

Good luck! I can’t decide who I want to win more, you or John & Sherry. If it’s either of you, it will be awesome.

22. heather{dot}com April 6, 2009 at 6:43 pm #

What a fun idea! I can’t wait to see how it goes!

23. leslie rogers April 6, 2009 at 8:07 pm #

Congratulations! I am sure you’ll come up with something wonderful!

24. courtney April 6, 2009 at 9:45 pm #

I can’t wait to see what you come up with! I love following your blog. You are so inspiring.

25. Catherine April 6, 2009 at 10:06 pm #

LUCK!!!

26. Nataly April 7, 2009 at 7:00 pm #

I think you may like this!:)

27. Dave in Home and Garden April 12, 2009 at 2:14 am #

Good timing regarding the home and garden offer as the northern hemisphere is coming into spring now, except you’ve had snow!

And good luck with the baby!