Porch and Patio Seating?

Yesterday it was 65 degrees. Today: 27. Still, I keep thinking ahead to spring and all of the things I’d like to do outside.

As cute as our front porch is (and it is pretty cute), I’m wondering if maybe it should be more of a lounge area.

front porch

Right now those chairs are on the patio in the backyard, mixed in with some other wooden folding chairs. The white ones are much more comfortable, so I’m thinking about picking up four more so that we can have a matching set. It bugs me that the chairs are all mixed up! I don’t think I could ever go for the artfully mismatched look, even though I think it looks great when other people do it.

The Yard With My New Egg Chair

But… I can’t decide.

Option 1: Put the four white chairs we already have back on the front porch and keep it as a little dining area (it’s nice to sit there when it’s raining). Store the uncomfortable wooden chairs (we have 6) for extra party seating. Find 8 new matching (and inexpensive) chairs to go around the table in the backyard.

Option 2: Keep the four white chairs on the patio and pick up four more (they’re only $30 each). Store the 6 uncomfortable wooden chairs for extra party seating. Find lounge furniture for the front porch. Maybe two comfy chairs and a little side table? Maybe a porch swing or a gliding bench?

Any ideas?

77 Responses to “Porch and Patio Seating?”

1. Audrey March 12, 2009 at 8:31 am #

I love the idea of keeping your backyard for eating/entertaining and your front porch for lounging. I think option #2 is the way to go! It would be great to find a vintage metal glider, and add some red paint and fun accent pillows. Great for rocking a newborn baby too I’m sure! Good luck!

2. Beth H March 12, 2009 at 8:52 am #

a daybed would be so cool! i know that wasn’t one of your original options, but what a neat idea. love your blog – been lurking for a while! where did you get the fab egg chair?!!

3. meg olson March 12, 2009 at 9:35 am #

I vote lounge on the front porch. That’s what I have on my porch and love it. My husband and I have book nights on the porch during the summer.

I have to know where you got that wicker bee hive looking chair. I want one badly but all of them that I’ve seen are thousands of dollars. ugh.

How’s murray doing?

4. Diane March 12, 2009 at 10:07 am #

Option 2! And where did that awesome ggg shaped, cabana chair thingy come from?

5. xin March 12, 2009 at 10:07 am #

Option 2! Definitely. I can see you sitting in a very comfortable lounge chair on that porch, with your baby in your arm. And surrounded by potted palm and some fern. Very tropical!

6. Missy March 12, 2009 at 10:18 am #

Ikea has some great summer loungy furniture right now for under $200

7. Amanda March 12, 2009 at 11:24 am #

Okay, my front porch has a swing *and* a cushy old fashioned sofa glider thingy, so let me just give you my take. Yes, swings are great. The *idea* of a front porch swing is great, anyway. BUT. Here’s the but. Unless it has cushions, it’s not going to be all that comfortable to sit in. If you just toss pillows on it, you won’t have room to sit in it and you’ll constantly be picking them up off the ground (cute look, though). A swing is not big enough for most people to lie down on for naps, and–this is the biggest thing–although it’s a romantic notion, sipping a drink and swinging is *hard*, plus, you have no place to set your drink in a swing. The swinging motion of a swing means you’ll be devoting a lot of your porch real estate to it…. no side tables can go nearby, no planters, no other seating. Also, by the looks of your porch, swing *too* far back and you’ll be clunking against the back of your porch.

Now, the glider, on the other hand, has cushions, wide, wide arms for setting your drink on, and is sofa sized so not one but TWO people can snuggle in for a nap. Also, because of the way our glider works, the swingy motion takes up no extra room at all, so the glider is scooched up right to the wall of the house, with no clunking. It’s super comfy and gets used waaay more than our swing. Oh, and I forgot…. your dog can’t jump up on a swing with you….

Perhaps I should also mention that our porch (huge old house) was once outfitted with TWO porch swings. And that an average sized guy sat in one of them and ripped the bolts right out of the ceiling and he went crashing to the ground. So, yeah… safety hazard.

Obviously I’m voting Option #2.

8. Mackenzi March 12, 2009 at 11:26 am #

I totally vote for the front porch lounge idea. The backyard is so much more private and perfect for long dinners and nights outside….the front seems just better for a quick cup of coffee in a comfy chair. Either way, you’re so lucky to have such great space!!

9. Alicia March 12, 2009 at 11:51 am #

I like option 2 as well. I feel that, certainly for me, a louge area would get used more.

Also–I absolutely love your wicker egg seating area!!!

10. Miss B. March 12, 2009 at 12:14 pm #

Me too, I like the lounge idea! BUT I know whatever you do will be terribly smashing and something that I would have never dreamed of on my own!

11. JLC March 12, 2009 at 12:41 pm #

Porch swing! Get more matching white chair for the backyard & store the uncomfortable ones for when you have parties.

12. Kristin B March 12, 2009 at 12:51 pm #

There’s nothing I love more in the summertime than lounging outside with a glass of wine! I definitely vote for option 2 and agree with a lot of the comments to lounge out front and entertain out back!

13. Sophie March 12, 2009 at 1:11 pm #

If you don’t have sit down meals on your porch, I’d go for the comfy lounge seating!

14. Veronica March 12, 2009 at 2:27 pm #

Hi,

I wanted to share these photos I came across with a lovely patio make over – thought they might provide some inspiration. Good luck!

15. Veronica March 12, 2009 at 2:27 pm #

oops here is the link:

16. Kate March 12, 2009 at 4:03 pm #

Option #2 definitely. I know you say those wooden chairs are uncomfortable, but I love them! Where did you find them? I have been searching everywhere for something like that, and have found a few good “stand-ins” but nothing quite like the picture in my mind.

17. Blondie March 12, 2009 at 5:23 pm #

A lounge area on the front porch sounds lovely! A wonderful chaise would be perfect with a small table.

Especially when your little one arrives, it would be a great place to sit (or lie) and read a book (or plan new designs!) whilst she sleeps in her little basket out there with you breathing in the fresh air! Then when she’s a toddler you can put a gate across the opening and have her own little table and chairs out there for tea parties!

18. erika March 13, 2009 at 2:32 am #

What a question! Option 2! And go for the porch swing. I would love that!

19. Sue @ My Party of 6 March 13, 2009 at 9:13 am #

Option 2 as well! You and your hubby can always eat in the front on the lounge-y furniture, but if you were having people over, you’d probably be in the back anyway. And I think I would use my porch more with more cozy furniture on it. (Hypothetical, since I DON’T have a porch, but I will hang out vicariously on yours, if that’s ok!)

20. adalisa March 13, 2009 at 6:59 pm #

I think you should keep the dining area on the front porch, but use a porch swing as the seating for one side of the table. Then you have two of the white chairs you can take to the backyard and just buy a couple more for there, and keep the uncomfortable chairs for extra.

21. lindsay March 14, 2009 at 4:04 pm #

Definetly the porch swing! Throw on some cute pillows and maybe and outdoor rug underneath? My girls found a swing so soothing when they were babies. They’d go right to sleep…that’s a good thing.

22. Making it Lovely March 19, 2009 at 10:02 am #

I love how overwhelmingly ‘option 2′ has won. :) I think that’s the way to go too.

That egg chair… Oh, how I love my egg chair! I took a nap in it the other day, all curled up and tucked inside. It’s pricey (it’s from Pottery Barn), but Brandon and his family pitched in and got it as one big group gift for my birthday.

23. jennifer w. March 24, 2009 at 10:10 am #

All of your ideas are great, and I’m sure whatever you choose (it appears option 2) will be great.

The egg chair is super rad

I see your BBQ is covered. I saw this one at Sears this past weekend and immediately thought of you http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07116644000P?mv=cf&vName=Outdoor+Living&cName=Grills+%26+Outdoor+Cooking

It is very classy in vanilla and black.

24. Debra Allen May 11, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

You are what my mama would have called a smart little cookie. It is really nice and functional, how you have it arranged.

1. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Up for the Challenge - April 5, 2009

[...] that exciting or what? I’ve been thinking a lot about what to do with the front porch, so we’re going to work on it for the challenge! We’re going to create a little dining [...]

2. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » The Great Green Outdoors - April 17, 2009

[...] been thinking about how I’d like to change the front porch, and lately I’m finding myself drawn to all things green. Ideally, I’d like the whole [...]

3. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Big Money, Big Money, No Whammy! - June 4, 2009

[...] I talked about this not long before the whole BHG 48-Hour Challenge started. Basically, we have a mish-mash of seating around our table. [...]