Chain Link Cover-up?

Last year, Brandon and I talked about doing something to screen our backyard from the alley. We have chain-link fencing, which of course offers no privacy but we’re not going to replace it anytime soon. The stretch of fencing we’re most concerned with is the section by the parking space in this sketch:

Long-Term Backyard Plan

I went to IKEA not long ago to check out their summer line and I liked their wind/sunshields, but I couldn’t think of a use for them. Today I suddenly realized that they may work well to cover the fencing.

DYNING wind/sunshield

The other idea we had was to use Put-in-Cups to create a pattern. They could be very cheesy (I know), but I think they could also be very cool. Check them out here:

Put-in-Cups

Nice, right? We had also considered fence slats as another option. When I talked about wanting to do something to the fence last year, a lot of people suggested woven willow, reed, or bamboo panels. I’m sure that would look good, but I like the idea of doing something more graphic. Everyone hates on chain-link but I really don’t mind it. I think it could be an opportunity to do something kind of fun…

59 Responses to “Chain Link Cover-up?”

1. Alana April 16, 2009 at 1:45 pm #

What I’m doing this spring is painting our chain link using a big, fluffy paint roller, then over-seeding morning glories and moon flowers to use it as a giant trellis.

2. libby @ pinkshirtsandcarwrecks April 26, 2009 at 3:31 pm #

i love that put in cups pattern idea! we’re buying a house this year (eeee!) and i am so nervous about chain link fencing – i know it shouldn’t be a make or break for me, but now i know there are cute ways to disguise them! hooray! thank you!

3. Lizzie May 6, 2009 at 4:18 pm #

this post reminds me of something i blogged about recently — a fence that has lace design/patterns in it —

4. Jen July 29, 2009 at 1:17 pm #

There are brackets made by oz-post – I think they are called, appropriately enough, oz-brackets. ;) Then you can affix wooden privacy panels to your chain link fence and paint. You don’t have to take down the chain link – you can leave that up on the side you don’t want to see. Paint, stain, graphic, etc, on the side you do.

5. Gwen March 27, 2010 at 7:20 pm #

I don’t know if anyone is still looking at this tread, but I was wondering if anyone has seen the Ikea wind/sunshields at Ikea this year? When I click on the link in the original story it takes me to the Ikea login screen. I’ve done a search on the Ikea.com and Ikea.ca website but no luck.

Can anyone help?

6. Amanda April 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

I found the very cheapest way I ordered 5 4ft by 20ft brown tarps from global industrial.com for $85 after shipping and handling and I secured it with zip ties, it fixed my problem my dog cannot see anything on that side and it looks decent.
    PHOTOS

• andrew April 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Thanks for the ideas, including the simple brown tarp. The latter is by far the cheapest option I’ve seen. Does anyone know if the Ikea stuff holds up to UV?

7. Manny May 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

another option is to attach galvanized metal sheets over the chain link fence. They come in diff colors or can be painted and can be bought at HD/Lowes

1. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » On the Fence - April 19, 2010

[…] been thinking about trying to create a little privacy along our back fence for quite some time. I saw the DYNING wind/sun shield at IKEA this weekend, and at just $7.99 I figured it was worth a […]