177 June 26, 2009

Are These Curtains Better?

I’m not so sure. I’ve tried putting these curtains in the library before (they’re from my studio), but after someone mentioned trying them here in the comments I thought I’d give it another go.

The Library with Colorful Curtains

Remember, here’s the before (with the curtains that everyone except me seems to love)…

The Library

I love the colorful curtains, but I don’t think they’re right for the library. Too kooky? Of course that makes me wonder if I’d like Orla curtains as much as I thought.

The Library with Colorful Curtains

Now I’m thinking I might want something more masculine. Maybe a crisp geometric in brown and white.

Christina
    June 29, 2009 at 2:59 pm

What about something in an Alexander Henry? In person, some of his fabrics are lo-o-vely

this colourway has mustard and green, but the lilac is different from what you have now (and geometric):

Here’s one that seems ‘you’, though the colours may not go. missing mustard, but has green:

or…

you could get a lovely textured linen in mustard and edge in vertically with the bright fabric from current curtains ??

Hope this helps :)
    Christina

Daniela
    June 29, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I agree with you.
    I think the other curtains worked better than Orla´s.
    Keep looking for your dream ones.
    I’msure you´ll find them soon and amaze us.

Love

Myranda
    June 29, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I prefer the original curtains that were up. They seem to pull elements from all over the room. Those other curtains are nice but it seems like they don’t flow well with the rooms as a whole.

abbi
    June 29, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I like the bright punch of color of the new florals but I think a masculine, geometric pattern would be much better! I think this is the perfect idea. Now let’s hope you can find them! ;)

jill
    June 29, 2009 at 6:41 pm

People, stop voting for the before curtains. She doesn’t like them.

I LOVE the after, and think they are the perfect pop for this already masculine room. There are two feminine ladies in the house now – you win. A little girlie element.

As for all new curtains, I say live with these for a while and put that money in a college fund to send that adorable baby to RISD.
    ps. just noticed the little smile in the yellow flowers. wha???

Laura
    June 29, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Have you thought about finding a curtain you like and then changing the yellow on the stairwell? Maybe you are ready for a change there!

Lauren
    June 30, 2009 at 9:54 am

The old ones are cool but the new ones are perfect for summer and add an extra pop of color!

Ed
    June 30, 2009 at 10:00 am

the new curtains are really yummy , i way prefer them !!

Ashleigh
    June 30, 2009 at 11:22 am

I love the curtains from before, I thought they were perfect

Kickymarcia
    June 30, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I like the look of the original curtains on screen. However, I do agree with an earlier poster about the room not really being a “Nicole” room. Most of your other rooms have some accent of pink in them.

Have you thought of adding pink as an accent color? Maybe a curtain with neutral ground with pink, mustard and chocolate.

The mustard wall is skewing things visually for me.
    Have you thought of repainting it another color?
    If you painted it a pink, kept the floral curtains and replaced the throw- Voila!

Kickymarcia
    June 30, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I just took a spin thru your flickr set for the library. Where did you place the green ones with victorianesqe pattern with deep green, pink and chocolate?

You could repaint the mustard either a green or pink and put up the curtains. It would change the look of the room. It will still feel more masculine with the chocolate. Then replace the pillow and throw with a coordinating color.

Just a thought.

Haley
    June 30, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I don’t know about the pattern/what the color is in person, but the mustard accent color would probably make these curtains from west elm look pretty awesome: http://www.westelm.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?partNumber=WE-PRODr669&storeId=17001&langId=-1&catalogId=17002&viewSetCode=E&parentId=WE-SH1RUGWIN&retainNav=true&cmsrc=WE-SH1RUGWIN.

kristin
    June 30, 2009 at 6:17 pm

i loveeee them! these are way better than before, at least. i like the way it works with the next room’s color (yellow stripes). you guys have great taste, so i’m sure that it will look fab no matter what.

oneshotbeyond
    July 1, 2009 at 12:07 am

the color ones totally give something extra to the library-although it was already really special. :-)

melissa
    July 1, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Where did you get that table from?

Tommy Bahama Bedding
    July 2, 2009 at 3:57 pm

I’m not really opposed to more masculine curtains, but I really like these – they’re so cheery. Who says a library has to be muted?

Jocelyn Fraemohs
    July 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm

They’re lovely. Why not change the throw cover on the pillow to colours from the curtains, especially if one of them matches the grey.

Lynnie
    July 3, 2009 at 7:31 am

Well, I gotta tell you that while I definitely prefer the original curtains here (sorry!)

I think the new ones are just too busy for the space and make it feel sort of crowded – actually scrolling back up to look at the pics again I feel sort of claustrophobic looking at them.

Maculine sounds gooooood, but I think an OK or more feminine print could still work well here. I think any printed fabric that’s going to go in the space needs to be clean, crisp, and on the graphic side to stop things feeling cluttered, and OK fabric would fulful that brief provided the print is an appropriate size.

[Disclaimer – just my two cents, please don’t hate me!]

FoxFire
    July 3, 2009 at 9:20 pm

I love your ‘before’ curtains, though they are both gorgeous. The before ones just seem to fit a library area more. The brown and white geometric curtain idea might be perfect- a good mix of modern and edgy for a nice reading area!

Jan
    July 4, 2009 at 9:54 am

I think both of the curtains are great. As someone stated before, I think the bright colorful floral ones are great a nice change for the summer.

Rachel H.
    July 5, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Before!

carrie
    July 6, 2009 at 1:10 pm

i’m sure you have already made a decision, but i like the bright flower curtains better. they pick up the colors of the books in the book case and compliment the yellow wall. i also think they look a little younger than the before curtains.

carrie
    July 6, 2009 at 1:11 pm

rather the after. oops

Michele
    July 7, 2009 at 1:07 pm

I think you’re right- if you don’t think this bright pop of color is right {I do- love the second curtains}, you probably wouldn’t love the Orla Kiely in that space.

Liz
    September 13, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Hey Nicole,
    I am a long-time lurker and I had to comment to ask you a question. I am looking to improve my 1923 California bungalow and I get so inspired by your blog. When I showed my husband your house he said “I bet they don’t have any pets” (we have a cat and a cocker spaniel) and I assured him you do. So my question is how do you manage to keep your home so spotless with a long hair cat and Murray? My cocker is black and everything in my house is covered in cat and dog hair. We have hardwood floors throughout and have given up on rugs because they end so filthy (particularly Ikea rugs). I swifter daily, gone through 2 vacuum cleaners and I frequently lint brush the couch which is white btw. Any tips are appreciated. You have a beautiful family and I look forward to new project ideas in the future. I get giddy when I see you feature dresses and shoes I own in your wishlists.
    Thanks,
    Liz

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Windermere Curtains in the Library
    October 10, 2009 at 9:41 am

[…] still looking for the perfect curtains in there. I’ve ordered Anthropologie’s Windermere curtains (on […]

Julia
      April 23, 2010 at 1:16 am

Hi can you please tell me where the floral curtains are from?? I’ve been searching for something like those and this is the first I’ve seen close to what I’m looking for…

thanks!