'F' for Fabric Library

Dreaming of Orla Kiely Curtains

I’ve been having a lot home design dreams lately. Usually they make no sense, like the one I had recently where Kim from Myles of Style and the Dugger family gave my living room a makeover (it resulted in forced smiles followed by tears from me). Last night was different though…

I had been looking online at curtains for the library. I know everyone always says that they love the ones that are up there now, but I don’t. I’m looking for a bold, graphic print that has brown and mustard yellow in it to work with the wall colors, but I didn’t find anything I really loved (these came closest). I had given up for the night and figured I’d look again in a few months when there might be some new options on the market. Then, I had a dream in which the perfect solution presented itself to me: I want curtains made out of Orla Kiely stem print fabric!

Too bad it doesn’t seem to be available. Wah-wah.

Orla Kiely

Sources & Paint ColorsNeed design help? Let's work together.

You Might Also Like...

Krysten
    June 19, 2009 at 9:52 am

Oooh love that! Hopefully it becomes available soon!

Loriana
    June 19, 2009 at 10:03 am

That Orla Kiely pattern for curtains would definitely be perfect for the library. I love her stuff!

Miller Industries
    June 19, 2009 at 10:04 am

I would email the folks at AT, see if they could post something about it, and get the idea circulating around. Maybe then Orla would ablige and grant you your request. Y

You’re creative, make some of your own. (lolz)

idk…

Beverly
    June 19, 2009 at 10:18 am

Try some of the new Moda lines that just recently came out – they’ve got some more of the earthy colors in them.

liz
    June 19, 2009 at 10:28 am

Could you buy some duvet covers and make curtains out of them, or would the sizes be all wrong?

Mary Evers
    June 19, 2009 at 10:40 am

Please contact Orla Kiely to see if they have any plans on producing fabric or window treatments. I have been looking for the same thing. I would even be willing to sew my own window treatments. I’m sure they would respond to YOU!!!Don’t they know how important you are and the huge following you have? I’m hoping you’ll have some pull.

Emily
    June 19, 2009 at 10:53 am

Hi Nicole,
    Actually I am pretty sure that they already make that fabric in the UK: (see this ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/Orla-Kiely-fabric-FQ-vtg-50s-style-DIY-cushion-quilting_W0QQitemZ260425035143QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM?hash=item3ca28aad87&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A2096|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50)
    So maybe you can have your dream curtains, after all!!!
    Good luck!
    Emily

mrslimestone
    June 19, 2009 at 10:55 am

If the Duggars got anywhere me, I think I would have to move. They freak me out with their crazy perm mullets. And a decor redo from them would be what nightmares are made of!

ratita
    June 19, 2009 at 10:58 am

i was going to also suggest the duvet covers. i think you mentioned your ceilings aren’t too high, so maybe they could work. they are available on the orla kiely UK site:

erin
    June 19, 2009 at 11:06 am

i’d check ebay, i’ve seen the stem print duvets there. or what about creating a stem-like pattern on spoonflower?

Stefanie
    June 19, 2009 at 11:14 am

I know the last thing you may have time for is to sew but these fabrics are great.
    volksfaden.de. You might look at these: Erin McMorris » Pressed Leaves Fuchsia,
    Amy Butler » Garden Maze Tan, Patty Young » Flora Kiwi, Tina Givens » Silhouette Polka Pink as ideas. Good luck.

lindsay
    June 19, 2009 at 11:33 am

ME TOO!!! i have some plain cream colored panel curtains that i thought about screen printing or appliqueing a similar pattern onto them myself, but that’s just too much work right now.

i would also kill for these, but they are WAY too expensive for me:

good luck, i know how it feels to dislike something about your home, ugh. so frustrating to look at every day.

Danielle
    June 19, 2009 at 11:38 am

I hate when you have a vision and have a difficult time making it happen! I think Ebay might be a good place to start.

JenGil
    June 19, 2009 at 11:43 am

What about the Orla Kiely table cloth at Target?

Anna @ D16
    June 19, 2009 at 12:51 pm

“Kim from Myles of Style and the Dugger family gave my living room a makeover”

That is a true nightmare, Nicole!! I snorted when I read this. :D

Tinsmiths used to sell Orla fabrics online, but they’re down to very little now:

You can see what was once the full range here:

Those mustard stems would have been perfect! I’ll let you know if I find a current source.

Barring that, have you considered any of these Marimekko prints?

suzanne cabrera
    June 19, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Love the idea!!!! Not of the Duggars…but of the curtains! But now my question is…where to find that amazing sofa the pillows are on?!?! Gorgeous.

LeeAnn
    June 19, 2009 at 1:34 pm

You know with your mad skills, why not design your own using spoonflower?

Carol
    June 19, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Hancocks of Paducah carries so many fabrics. You might find something there. http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/

martha
    June 19, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I have been searching for that print in curtains everywhere…I even got desperate and searched Target stores for a tablecloth in that print, but all they had was the Orla flower pattern…not really what I’m looking for.

Christina
    June 19, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Have you checked Ikea? I remember a few years ago they had a similar stem print as blinds or it might have been fabric but can be used to make blinds.

ewogirl
    June 19, 2009 at 5:13 pm

I like the Marimekko idea..after reading this blog post I will never look at Orla Kiely the same way…

Laurie
    June 19, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Not exactly the same, but this fabric has the stem pattern, if a little busier:

Bridget
    June 19, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Hi Nicole….congrats on your gorgeous little family and winning the BHG competition…much deserved! Been following your blog for a long while now, love it!

I have a question…might seem silly or basic but how did you do/how do you do the pattern/print overlay in your photo above? I want to try this effect on some Wedding pics by adding a transparent lace overlay…any info or advice from yourself or your readers would be much appreciated.

Have a wonderful day… Bridget

yansy
    June 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I love Orla Kiely. I bet they are going to make the curtains after reading your blog.

Bianca
    June 20, 2009 at 12:25 am

With your winnings from BHG you can make print your own fabric at Spoonflower.com and get exactly what you want.

mrs.lee
    June 20, 2009 at 10:37 am

love orla kiely so much!~

Beth
    June 20, 2009 at 11:53 am

I must say I am not nor ever have been a fan of Keilys. But I think those curtains would be divine in your space. Go with the duvet idea!

Bri
    June 20, 2009 at 12:08 pm

That is too bad. Those would look great in curtains! I say design your own (or find something from ikea – they tend to have great graphic prints in those colors).

Dewi
    June 20, 2009 at 3:04 pm

YOu can create your own printed frabic at Spoonflower.

Jenny
    June 20, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I am wondering where you look when you shop for curtains. I feel like I see the same things everywhere, but it is most likely because I don’t know where to look. I don’t know much about design, but I would love to have a beautiful space with a little more personality that I have found so far. Thank you!

katie
    June 20, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Now that you have BOTH hands free you could paint your own curtains–HE HE!!! The style looks lovely, and I’m impressed that you are still finding creativity and inspiration despite perhaps having what I like to think of as “breastfeeding brain.” In other words, a bit more tired and out of sorts.

Making it Lovely
    June 21, 2009 at 9:13 am

Jenny, there aren’t that many great places to look for curtains (that I know of at least). Anthropologie is always good, and then I just look for good fabric since I don’t mind sewing my own.

The scale of the pattern on the Orla duvet is too large, but it would look mighty nice on our bed! ;)

Bridget, the photo came that way, but you can do that in Photoshop with layers and adjusting the opacity.

Anna, I was thinking Marimekko too! I just haven’t found THE one yet, you know?

Christina
    June 21, 2009 at 11:28 am

make some w/ anna maria horner fabric!!

Diana
    June 21, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I think this looks nice and it has the colors you’re looking for.

casey
    June 21, 2009 at 5:20 pm

oh, that fabric would be perfect! Hope you can find it somewhere…

Tommy Bahama Bedding
    June 21, 2009 at 7:37 pm

That’s too bad :( I have also been on a mad hunt for curtains lately. I finally settled for simple white ones until I find something I really love.

Ginger
    June 22, 2009 at 1:30 am

The scary part about this post was finding out about the Duggar family…..I had thankfully not been aware of such a spectacle until now, but YIKES.

Here’s to hoping you sleep better with some decent window dressings….

Donna
    June 22, 2009 at 6:45 am

Nicole, I made curtains for my kitchen out of the flower tablecloths she put out for Target. I don’t think her stuff is still available at Target anymore but I’m sure a scan of Ebay might pan out. Although, I don’t know if the rectangle tablecloth is big (long) enough, although you could use solid color fabric with it to make it longer.

Natalie
    June 22, 2009 at 7:33 am

I absolutely LOVE Orla Kiely! She has this adorable kitchen rug that I’ve been drooling over, but I have only seen it on someone’s blog and not in any stores :(

Laura
    June 22, 2009 at 8:02 am

I love the Orla Keily fabric, but I just feel like it’s sooo over used, you know? Well, since you love it and want it, I guess you don’t know. I have some of the flower patterned dish towels she had at Target that I love and get compliments on — the patterns are iconic! Just, in the design world, definitely known. Kind of like an Eames lounge chair (droool).

Sara
    June 22, 2009 at 9:52 am

I know you will not give up! I look forward to seeing & reading how you have made your dream a reality. Good luck!

Pink Sky
    June 22, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Have you looked into designing something similar and printing it using Spoonflower? Then you get exactly the colors and patterns you want! :)

And congrats on the big win!!! Yay!

Alissa
    June 22, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Perhaps you might want to use the curtains that you made for your office in the library and then make new curtains for the office?

Julie
    June 23, 2009 at 6:38 am

I didn’t read through all of the comments here, but have you considered using flat sheets? There are tons of awesome sheet prints and they make nice curtains. Just a thought. Good luck on your search!

Deborah
    June 23, 2009 at 9:04 am

um, any idea what that red sofa/loveseat in the picture is?

French furniture
    June 23, 2009 at 9:31 am

I love Orla Kiely stuff. It’s a pity you can’t get what you want. Keep on looking though!

kelly
    June 23, 2009 at 3:50 pm

oh I love orla! did you see her studio tour over on the guardian? super fun!

kern
    June 24, 2009 at 8:49 am

On TreeFall Amanda used a duvet as curtains, maybe that’s an option?

rachel
    June 24, 2009 at 10:05 am

hi nicole,
    funny you should have this dilemma… i felt the same way about my curtains last week… i used an orla kiely tablecloth from target http://mytinyrobotheart.blogspot.com/2009/06/tuesday.html i only bought one at the time (who knew they’d end up on the window!?!) but am now stalking some on ebay.

priscilla
    June 24, 2009 at 8:02 pm

The couch is an Orla Kiely design sold through Heal’s in London.

priscilla
    June 24, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Oh, I forgot to say, why don’t you buy the rug in the multi-colored stem design, and then find other fabric for the curtains? Also sold through Heal’s of London.

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Are These Curtains Better?
    June 26, 2009 at 1:06 pm

[…] in the library before (they’re from my studio), but after someone mentioned trying them here in the comments I thought I’d give it another […]

Sue
    June 27, 2009 at 7:52 am

I think the brown and white curtains give a more quiet or restful quality to your lovely library.

Born Lucky Online
    July 3, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Kate Quinn Organics just came out with fun contemporary window panels… http://www.katequinnorganics.com/eshop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=614&category_id=65

Erika
    July 17, 2009 at 1:52 pm

buy the duvet and have or make curtains from it.

christina land
    January 9, 2010 at 1:17 am

I know you found curtains but I just came across stem print fabric! Maybe you could use it for something else. It’s a little pricy but it’s Orla and lovely!