Maah Ma

Do we have a first word!? Brandon thinks that she IS actually saying “mama”, but I’m not so sure. She only says it when she’s tired or frustrated, so I think that it’s just her whiny complaining noise and there just happens to be an ‘m’ sound in there. ;)

If this really is her first word, then it’s really early. She has been early on everything else though, so it is a possibility! Either way it’s nice to hear.

67 Responses to “Maah Ma”

1. Erica October 27, 2009 at 9:31 am #

That is the most precious thing in the world. I’m sitting at my desk at work (scandalous, I know) and just about crying. She is so sweet.

2. Krystle October 27, 2009 at 10:17 am #

a) It’s totally her first word
    b) Your daughter is too cute!
    c) She’s also the first baby I’ve ever seen actually play with the toys on her walker. With purpose.

You’re daughter’s a genius! Congratulations!

3. Jenny October 27, 2009 at 11:52 am #

Yep first word! Super cute!

4. Georgia October 27, 2009 at 1:50 pm #

God she’s cute – such a beautiful little face.

5. Melissa October 27, 2009 at 3:04 pm #

I don’t know about a first word (I’m in the university library and can’t turn up the volume!) but the video was precious!
    I had been having a terrible day, but this made it much nicer.

6. Miss B October 27, 2009 at 4:42 pm #

I’m with everyone else, it sure sounds like Mama! Baby genius:)

7. Sonia October 27, 2009 at 11:41 pm #

I am a psychology student getting a Ph.D. in child psychology and child development and have to agree with the other posters above about it not technically being her first word. Although it sounds like she’s saying “mama” babies commonly use babble at this stage so she’s not actually saying her first word. Technically her first word is one that she will use to reference something when she understands the word she’s using is attached to something. Therefore, when she looks at you and says “mama” and knows that you will come, she is using her first word. However, saying mamamama is just baby babble.

Either way, she is really a gorgeous baby! She’ll be talking up a storm before you know it.

8. crispix October 28, 2009 at 4:02 am #

Yes! she is saying mama!!!! oh! she is soooo cute! and getting sweeter day a day :) congrats! you’re eleonor’s first word inspiration yeaiiiiii!

9. TracyKM October 28, 2009 at 9:44 am #

Adorable! You’ve already gotten a great comment on ‘first words’ and if you want to count it as a first word, go ahead :)
    There is a woman who has documented early ‘speech’ in babies. All babies, in all cultures, make six specific sounds to represent different things. The sounds (which are by no means words) are each distinct and arise from the involuntary reflex that causes it. For example…the sound for “I’m hungry” is created by the baby rooting. “I’m gassy” is the sound made when baby tries to pass gas. The woman is from Australia and was on Oprah a few years ago, but I can’t remember her name :(
    On the other hand…if you really want to teach language, do sign language. It’s an awesome way to communicate with babies!!! You’ll know for sure she is understanding the language, not just imitating sounds (i can imitate spanish, but I certainly can’t communicate).

10. Elena October 28, 2009 at 1:34 pm #

Trust me, if she only says it when she’s tired or frusterated, then it’s DEFINITELY Mama! Congrats!!!!

11. kristen_verity October 28, 2009 at 8:31 pm #

She’s totally saying “Mama.”

12. becca @ birthday girl October 28, 2009 at 10:05 pm #

I vote yes too. Your daughter is beautiful- it’s fun watching her grow through your camera lens. Thanks for visiting my blog… the pins were really a great idea. You should consider making them for your shop. I bet they’d be a hit. :)

13. Dan October 29, 2009 at 12:34 pm #

OK, I brought in the expert: I asked my 3 year old if she thinks this baby is speaking or not, and she said: “Well, just a little bit, it only says mama”.
    So, there you have it! Congrats!!

P.S. Enjoy it now, because the time will come when you wish she could forget that particular word for even a couple of minutes… ;-)

14. Desiree October 30, 2009 at 8:01 am #

Early or not, my daughter said her first word, “Mama” just as she turned 6 months old. “Dada” followed very shortly after that. Congrats!
    -Desiree

15. Justina October 31, 2009 at 12:16 am #

Heee… my baby Jude also started saying “mama” when he was hungry and fussy around the same time. First word or not, it must have made your heart melt! :)

16. Melissa Allam November 6, 2009 at 6:34 pm #

This is so cute. I would say it is her first word.

17. lindsay November 23, 2009 at 5:09 pm #

She says it when she’s tired and frustrated? Oh yeah, it’s definetly mama! My daughter started talking at 6mos. and was speaking sentences and having conversations at 9mos. Now at 5, and in Kindergarten, we just had her first parent/teacher meeting. Everything good, except she talks too much when she shouldn’t be…never changes :)