38 February 5, 2010

Style: February ’10

Style: February '10

I have a new favorite dress.* It would be cute with flats or sandals when it’s warm out, but while it’s still cold I’d wear it with a colorful boyfriend cardigan and knee-high boots. There’s a little too much going on with the dress to add a necklace, but this gold medal would be really cute pinned to the cardigan, along with a dangly gold bracelet peeking out from the sleeves. For a little more color (I love all shades of red and pink together), I’d add a red bag.

OK, now I’m off to recreate this outfit with items from my closet. I bought the dress, and I already have a red bag and a few bracelets that might work…

* The dress is great but it runs a size too large, so size down if you order it. And it is NOT machine washable, as it claims to be on the website.

Erika
    February 5, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Gorgeous dress, and I have been eyeing those boots myself. Although the pocket book won’t allow for the boot purchase right now :(
    As always, your great sense of style is evident.

Sarah S
    February 5, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I like it in navy too! But I always worry about deeper V neck tops and showing too much skin. I hate having to wear camis under everything. This dress already has so much nice detailing, I’d hate to distract from it.

Sarah G
    February 5, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Ohh, great ensemble! Just wondering, do yo have to wear a slip with the dress or is the fabric thick enough to not show your undies?

I ask because I really don’t like slips – I grew up in the South and was forced to wear them through every hot summer of my youth. Never again!

Kari V
    February 5, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Cute combination! (Though I may be a bit biased because those exact boots actually are being delivered to me today!) :) I may have to dig and see what pink/red combinations I can come up with this week!

Lori
    February 5, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Love it…of course love it! I just got the dress in navy 2 weeks ago and planning on wearing it out to dinner tonight with boots and a cardigan. Love your style.

Catherine
    February 5, 2010 at 3:17 pm

So pretty! Am planning my first ever visit to Anthropologie (in London) next week and am ever so excited…

Allison
    February 5, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Lurve those boots. I’m still trying to convince myself that at 5’3″ I can pull off knee high boots. At least with a skirt.

Tatyana
    February 5, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I woke up this morning with gray skies and hearing the rain pouring and thought how I can’t wait for the weather to be nice again so I can wear a dress… and then though “I wish Nicole would post another one of her Style posts”. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! :)

Salla
    February 5, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Sooo beautiful… Love love love the dress!

Viv
    February 5, 2010 at 3:51 pm

This is really beautiful Nicole. I must look back on it come winter time. I love red and pink together too. I was wearing a red scarf with pink hearts on it just yesterday. Fun colour combination I think.

adhocmom
    February 5, 2010 at 3:52 pm

That bag is awesome. I have a two year old and am SO sick of diaper bags. Do you think you could fit baby stuff in there?
    x,
    Paula

Making it Lovely
      February 6, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I know – me too. On the rare occasion I leave the house without the baby, I get extraordinarily excited about carrying a real purse. ;) I bet you could make that red bag work.

adhocmom
      February 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I will let you know. I do a blog w/two other moms and we’re going to test out a few cute bags to see if they’ll work as clandestine diaper bags. Much easier to get away with this with toddlers who have discovered the wonder of juice boxes, and you don’t have to drag around bottles. Le Sport Sac makes some cute ones that work. . and I use a Longchamp sometimes that works great.
      x,
      Paula

Amanda
    February 5, 2010 at 4:03 pm

LOVE it all, especially that great dress that’s so functional for every season. Great investment piece!

nicole
    February 5, 2010 at 4:09 pm

that outfit is great…my problem is that boyfriend sweaters tend to make my butt look bigger than i need it to be…i love the bracelet peeking out of the cuff idea…a personal fav.

Making it Lovely
      February 6, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I had always hated boyfriend sweaters until this season, and now I can’t get enough! Maybe the cut has been updated (or more likely in my case, my body has changed post-baby), but I suddenly find them to be very flattering.

cindi
    February 5, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Love this dress! And your suggestions are spot on. I love anthropologie!

Ruth@GraceLaced
    February 6, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Hi there, Nicole. I’ve been vicariously living through your pink life for awhile now! Thank you for a lovely site! I do love your Style boards. A headband I have in my etsy shop would be oh so cute with this outfit. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=39811606 I’d be so honored if you ever did a feature on etsy finds and included me!

Meredith from Penelope Loves Lists
    February 6, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I was just eyeing that dress the other day! I love it with the boyfriend sweater, though. Great idea.

Erika
    February 6, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I have been drooling over those boots all winter! I wish I could find them at a half off sale…..

the southern hostess
    February 6, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Love every one of these pieces! You have such a good eye.

Quinn
    February 6, 2010 at 7:49 pm

ooooh! I love this outfit combo! What a great, fresh look!

Nicole
    February 6, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I love your sense of style…you truly have a gift that I am wish I had. I admire the way you mix the feminine with the unexpected and it all seems to work so effortlessly. Thanks for sharing your beautiful style board.

Jujube
    February 7, 2010 at 5:38 am

I love the color combination, it is cheerful!
    Perhaps you may not aware it will be Lunar New Year soon in Asia. I am sure will dig some hot pink and red.

Marisa
    February 7, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere – would you consider posting pics of yourself wearing the outfit inspired by the style board? I’m so completely not a stylish dresser that it’s a little hard for me to picture how it’d all come together, especially on a more normally sized person (i.e. not a size-0 model).

And thank you for these lovely posts – I may be style-impaired, but they help me imagine moving away from the safety of my jeans/t-shirts outfits.

Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas
    February 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Wonderful fashion finds… I am with you on the dress.

Ashley
    February 8, 2010 at 10:39 am

Love the pink cardigan and the dress! This is a great February look!

Morgan
    February 8, 2010 at 11:39 am

I love your style boards….those Boots are TO DIE FOR! I love the bright pink cardigan – my favourite colour :)

Laurie
    February 8, 2010 at 1:35 pm

This is one of my favorite postings that you do, in fact I save them in my style file! I love this outfit and am hinting to my husband to buy me the dress but in gold for Valentine’s Day!

Miss B
    February 8, 2010 at 5:33 pm

THOSE BOOTS!!! Fabulous! Let’s see pics of your ensemble on you!

Ali Walsh
    February 9, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I just purchased that dress as a back-up for our wedding! My hope is to find something handmade locally, but that dress is perfect for our low-key country chic wedding. I purchased a necklace from Broad Street at Wolfbait & B-Girls to go with the dress. Have you seen her jewelry? http://www.etsy.com/shop/BroadStreet. Great stuff.

lisa milone
    February 10, 2010 at 9:30 am

words can’t express how much i love those boots! i’ve been looking for perfect boots for about a year now and i think those are it! i wish frye boots weren’t that exepensive though.. sigh.

this is such a cute look. i have about 5 different shirts that have the same neckline as that dress. i think there is always room for different versions of what looks good on you. right? i like to think so!

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Award Yourself
    February 12, 2010 at 1:06 pm

[…] an award to your lapel! I did this today, inspired by my own style post, and it’s making me very […]

That’s How I Roll «
    February 24, 2010 at 1:46 pm

[…] Making It Lovely – Style File. No joke I bought this dress in gold because of this post! […]