Inspiration Board

Inspiration Board

I made something last night. It’s my attempt at an “inspiration board”, though I confess I think of it more as a big rectangle of pretty clutter. I don’t even know what to do with it now! I like having pictures of it, but I don’t want the actual physical item hung up anywhere.

Inspiration Board

Inspiration Board

Am I the only one that can’t get behind this whole inspiration board (which is just a fancy word for bulletin board) thing?* I did think of an excellent use for it though: desktop wallpaper.

Inspiration Board as Desktop Wallpaper

*Odd, since I put together digital boards all the time. Those serve a purpose though (for a room or an outfit). When the purpose is simply inspiration, I don’t find it all that inspiring! Then again, I do like looking at the ones other people have made. I suspect this has something to do with my perfectionist tendencies.

73 Responses to “Inspiration Board”

1. Lauren February 9, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

Nicole – Do you happen to know the source for the sofa in your inspiration board?

2. Nest Bliss February 9, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Yeah…this is cute but would look very wrong in your house ;)

3. May February 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm #

Desktop wallpaper’s a great idea, Nicole. I’ve been making collages for my wallpaper for years. I save tons of inspiring photos, group them by colour and then add family photos and my own graphics and voila – a personalize wallpaper :) It’s a good way to display what you love without having to choose a single image, or cluttering up you space.

4. Amanda February 9, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

It’s so very pretty. I used your gorgeous office in a post of pink and red things. I hope you are flattered and not mad! I of course credited your beautiful blog.

If you would like for me to take it down, I completely understand!!!

5. Aprill February 9, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

I like inspiration boards but not an actual real-lfe one that just ends up becoming a part of the clutter. I can get behind digital versions, though.

6. Renee February 9, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

Don’t you LOVE Real Simple Magazine? I recognize some of the pics from it… love it!

I did the “inspiration board” thing in high school, and I agree that it is a wall-hung-collage-o-clutter. I dig the photos of the inspiration board, though… maybe you’re on to something…

7. .amanda. February 10, 2010 at 8:52 am #

I am an art teacher for an elementary school and I firmly stand being the idea that “its the process not the product”

I’m glad you had a good time making it and that you felt great doing it! It doens’t have to be FOR something. :)

xo

8. frauheuberg February 10, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

…its your style…and lovley to look at it…very well done…i can see this is your passion…your blog…;)…and love it here, too…amazing…thanks for sharing…cheers ines

9. pink February 10, 2010 at 8:27 pm #

Dang, girl. I’d throw it into a shadow box and hang it on the wall or in the bathroom. I think it’s really cool, but then I’m weird about what I hang up. You can send it to me – I’ll take care of it (it is pink, after all), haha.

10. Bregan Hubbard February 11, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

I can think of nothing better than having this sort of inspirational board as my work computer’s wallpaper. Right now, I set my wallpaper to an image of something I’m working on, so your idea is perfect! In a way, it’s sorta like a studio. You want your studio to be cleaned up, but the truth is, you’re more inspired when it’s a mess. Maybe this is the compromise. :)

11. MelanieO February 13, 2010 at 6:52 am #

I feel exactly the same way. It was (sort of) fun putting it together, but I don’t know what to do with it. I like having files and putting stuff together temporarily, but my purpose is usually for a blog post. I don’t know why, but I always feel I need a purpose for the finished product. Maybe I need to go back to grade school to learn how to do things just for the process of doing it, like one of your other commenters suggested :)

12. Mina February 13, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

Funny… I made a digital inspiration board on Paint and have had it as wall paper on my laptop for a few months now. It’s just a good reminder for me of what path I want my life to take. : )

13. The Design Notebook February 16, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

I love your inspiration board!

14. Grace February 16, 2010 at 3:05 pm #

I’m not a fan of inspiration boards either. I think they look pretty but hanging on my wall it just reminds me of high school. Your placement of it as a desktop backdrop is a great idea though. I could get behind something like that.

15. becky February 17, 2010 at 12:00 am #

I’m looking at this for the second time after about a week, and honestly, I don’t think you applied the eye you usually have digitally to this handmade board in any manner whatsoever (not trying to be a hater, just responding to the fact that you don’t like inspiration boards).

I think it helps to bend your brain (I’m a total photoshop ho so I can relate) to do things in the old school inspiration board way and step out of your comfort zone. I’ve never seen something so busy with this lack of clean composition on your blog (been reading it since you began and usually love your eye and style). It’s almost like the neopolitan background says enough about you without all the crapola just thrown on top? I suppose I can see doing it that way in some kind of new agey life coach kind of way (ugh – of course I’d be dissing that kind of inspiration board the way you are dissing them here), but for me it helped to think about composition, and later, about what I had picked and what it meant to me. Did you play with rearranging things in different ways? I just left mine out on my coffee table all day and kept messing with it, adding and subtracting and rearranging.

Honestly, we all know how talented you are, and how busy you are, so it seems very obvious that you said “oh crap, gotta turn in this homework, let me throw everything on my desk on top of this paper and then talk about how I don’t like inspiration boards.” Which is fine, but I think if you’d spend time on it you would have really gained something from the experience. I say this constructively because I love your eye, and I think if you gave it time you’d come up with something great.

• Making it Lovely February 17, 2010 at 8:58 am #

No, I spent hours on it! I feel like inspiration boards have to be cluttered or they don’t look finished, and so I spent a lot of time moving things around. Adding, subtracting, rearranging, over and over. In the end, I think it looks pretty, but it is just not for me.

16. Bethany February 17, 2010 at 4:12 pm #

Love the comments here!

I’ve just started using inspiration boards (digital and real-life) for personal use, and now for clients too. I think they can be used in some situations, but not all… for example – our last clients thought the images were literal – and wanted every single item shown.

Inspiration boards are about ideas and finding out the common elements of all the things that one finds attractive. I suppose it’s somewhat of a design language (visual perhaps?), and not everyone will speak it.

Here is my commentary about the process: Your grace is appreciated – as I’m pretty new to this!

I’d love to hear what you all think!

17. decor8 February 17, 2010 at 6:54 pm #

Is this for the Blogging Your Way class because if so, you nailed your homework Nicole. I love it!!!!

18. Allie February 19, 2010 at 1:00 am #

I love this! It’s completely gorgeous. I know what you mean about not wanting to hang it up though. I live in a dorm, and there’s just no vertical space for me to hang one, even if I wanted to!

Yours is GORGEOUS though!!

1. Wrap It Up Pretty + A Winner! | Style Me Pretty : The Ultimate Wedding Blog - February 12, 2010

[...] fun inspiration board, via Making It [...]

2. Wrap It Up Pretty + A Winner! | Bridesmaid Dresses Blog - February 13, 2010

[...] fun inspiration board, around Making It [...]

3. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Honor Roll (No. 16) - September 24, 2010

[...] don’t like the visual clutter of inspiration boards in my own house (I tried it and it’s not for me), but I love seeing other people’s boards. They just draw me [...]

4. Creating a Mood Board « Homeworlds - March 10, 2011

[...] Stylish mummy, Nicole Balch from Making it Lovely frequently features inspiration boards on her gorgeous blog. Here’s one she uses as an [...]