Bedroom

This is What Our Bedroom Looks Like

I’ve been working with American Express to redo my bedroom. They provided me with a total of 300,000 Membership Rewards points.

Hello, dark and lovely bedroom.

Our Bedroom

Our Bedroom

Everything came together just as I hoped it would. The colors and patterns of the new bedding look great together, and our bed feels so soft with its new pillows and comforter.

Bedding

The Edison Chandelier is amazing.

Our Bedroom

We do have our fears about Eleanor jumping on the bed or swinging a pillow and breaking the bulbs. We may need to revisit our lighting options in a few years, but right now we are absolutely loving the chandellier.

Our Bedroom

I like the little pop of red from our phone, and the yellow of the lacquered tray holding magazines by my side of the bed.

My Nightstand

My Nightstand

I really love the play between light and dark in the room. Sheer white shades, white curtains, and painted white trim all provide a nice balance to the zinc walls, gray rug, dark furniture, and the Jacobean bamboo flooring.

Our Bedroom

Our overflow of books has been contained by the new bookshelf.

Books in Our Bedroom

The bedroom is somewhat small and there is already a lot going on visually, so we wanted the new art to be subtle. I love the antiqued zinc finish against our ‘zinc’ wall color.

Wall Art

Our Bedroom

Soporific.

Our Bedroom

Sources & Paint ColorsNeed design help? Let's work together.

You Might Also Like...

Katie B
    June 14, 2010 at 11:02 pm

really lovely! thanks for sharing it with us!

shelly
    June 14, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I dieeeeee for that chandelier! Love it! It came out beautifully!

dinah
    June 15, 2010 at 12:15 am

i’d like to see a pic of the chandlier in the room WITH the lights on.. doesn’t it blind you though?

Making it Lovely
      June 16, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Nope, it’s not bad at all. I just can’t get a decent photo.

Shery
    June 15, 2010 at 2:17 am

First let me say that I appreciate your hard work and sharing with us very much.
    I hate to be the one that ruin the party, but I have to be honest and say that I really don’t like your new room.
    The gray is too dark, too much and too depressing .
    The fact that you choose to paint all the walls including the ceiling, gives a fee of claustrophobia and make the room look small.
    Think of the feeling that the room will give you in a winter day when the light is poor and the sky are gray.
    It’s like living in a winter room all year long.
    I really like the bedding though….I love the colors.
    The chandelier is beautiful, but I think it’ll suit living rooms better.
    The furniture are dark too and against the dark gray walls it is really too much.
    I loved your previous bedroom a lot, it was warm and gave a feel that bedroom should give you.
    Again….I’m sorry and I hope you’ll choose to publish my comment anyway….

M
    June 15, 2010 at 4:57 am

Now I really want to change the color of my bedroom to a dark slate. I have gray everywhere else, though not in the boudoir. I really think it makes the most sophisticated, perfect room color!

Wendy
    June 15, 2010 at 7:13 am

We just painted our room the same color – I can’t believe it! I love it. The dark gray gives it such a “grown-up” look and not too masculine, not too feminine. The white trim gives it pop and keeps it from being too dreary.

I’m sooooooooo curious though, where do you put all your clothes? Just the closet? I didn’t see any dressers or storage other than the night stands…

Making it Lovely
      June 16, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Brandon’s clothes are in the closet (there is a small dresser tucked inside), and mine are in a freestanding IKEA wardrobe that’s in the room. I just didn’t get a photo with it.

Jill
    June 15, 2010 at 7:36 am

Amazing room! I love the combo of dark + light…just the right bit of drama for the bedroom, but still very comfortable.

John @ Young House Love
    June 15, 2010 at 8:06 am

Came out AWESOME, Nicole. Especially love the wall color with that bedding combo.

Kinder
    June 15, 2010 at 9:09 am

I love love love it. I love the colour – it looks so elegant and sophisticated! I especially love the light fixture!

Joy
    June 15, 2010 at 10:19 am

I think someone has already asked this, but I also am curious for a picture of the chandelier all lit up. I think it’s the most fantastic part of your new room.

Nuit
    June 15, 2010 at 10:48 am

Your bedroom looks stunning! what an amazing makeover, so different now. I love gray, I am a firm believer in dark bedrooms and love the way yours turned out. The bedding is perfect, it provides contrast and warmth.. the chandelier is absolutely amazing and the bookshelf a favorite of mine for sometime now. But I am super crazy about the art above the bookshelf, it provides so much personality to that wall!!!

Christina
    June 15, 2010 at 10:53 am

I love it and think it’s fabulous! I especially like the bedding. And, of course the Edison lighting! The colors of our bedroom are very similar so, there are so many little inspirations that I can take from this room. Hopefully, I will be able to get our room “just right” sometime soon.

Sorry if you have mentioned it previously on your site, but where did you get the prints featured on either side of the window?

elz
    June 15, 2010 at 11:07 am

I love how most of the room is subdued (for sleep), but with tiny pops of color

Susan
    June 15, 2010 at 11:31 am

I love the Edison Chandy! I have been looking at that for some time, sadly have no where to put it, but it is fabulous! Great colors.

Libby
    June 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I for one like dark bedrooms, and think this turned out great. I love how the Edison makes it seem like you’ve been spending a lazy afternoon lying in bed, blowing bubbles! A nice touch of whimsy.

Nicole RJ
    June 15, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Love the new bedroom look! It’s cozy, but also a bit industrial.

kasey
    June 15, 2010 at 12:48 pm

it looks so pretty and cozy!

Jen
    June 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Love this! It’s so cozy the pattern mixing is lovely.

kristin
    June 15, 2010 at 2:43 pm

you’ll just have to read “no more monkeys jumping on the bed” and she’ll know you mean business :)

lovely room. we need to do this to our bedroom when we get the chance.

neysa
    June 15, 2010 at 2:50 pm

absolutely LOVELY! a night shot with the chandy on, please?!

Liz
    June 15, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Love the new room! From the paint color to the bedding to new chandelier – it all came together well.

So will you be launching an e-interior design service soon? :)

Stacey
    June 15, 2010 at 6:34 pm

love love love.

love the Emily Martin paintings too!

Kate
    June 15, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I love it! The chandelier reminds me of City of Ember.

Oonafey
    June 15, 2010 at 7:43 pm

The chandelier cracks me up! It definitely adds a punch of fun to the room – I love the way it all turned out!

Meghan
    June 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I love it. If American Express wants to give me points I would be happy for the challenge (hint, hint), but there is no way it would be some lovely. I hav been eyeing that fixture for my dining room for so long. I should just break down and buy it.

Austin-ite
    June 16, 2010 at 12:26 am

The Edison is perfection. One large statement in a small room is just the thing. You pulled this off so well!

Milijana
    June 16, 2010 at 3:15 am

Once again you’ve showed what great taste and sense of style you have. Beautiful! I love you put a bookshelf in the bedroom, and that zinc wall art is fantastic. Great choices!
    xoxo

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife
    June 16, 2010 at 8:17 am

I LOVE the textiles on your bed. The way it looks against the colors on the wall is gorgeous. Beautiful palette :)

Jenny
    June 16, 2010 at 8:18 am

Wow, it looks great! The bedding is perfection, great job!

Anja
    June 16, 2010 at 8:33 am

this is breathtaking! I admit, i didn´t like the edison chandalier in your first pics that much. but in combination with the dark wallpainting and everything…stunning.
    what about a cage around eleanor…eehhh…the bulbs? *hint*

Lea
    June 16, 2010 at 10:03 am

I appreciate the different look of this bedroom, but it evokes my claustrophobia with the dark walls & ceiling. Aesthetically it does look gorgeous, just not something I could live in. All the more awesome that you love it & live there :D

janet
    June 16, 2010 at 10:29 am

Seriously seriously gorgeous on every level. I have complete bedroom envy and don’t know how I am going to sleep in mine tonight. I want that chandelier NOW!

Jakki
    June 16, 2010 at 11:29 am

Absolutely LOVE that chandelier. LOVE it! It all flows perfectly..

Courtney
    June 16, 2010 at 11:48 am

Wow Nicole! This really turned out beautifully. I have been OBSESSED lately with grey, and I love that you chose a darker shade for your paint color. I recently painted a darker shade of greenish grey in our basement and everyone was freaking me out saying it would be too dark. BUT it turned out perfect and everyone is now back tracking on their initial statements. The bold choice definitely paid off for you and this room!

AbraCat
    June 16, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Wow, that’s truly fabulous! Enjoy your new bedroom!

carrie @ brick city love
    June 16, 2010 at 1:45 pm

It’s beautiful!! Love it.

Tori
    June 16, 2010 at 2:05 pm

That chandelier is so interesting. I like he “bare” feel of it. It is beautiful in an ordinary and simplistic way. Great find!

April
    June 16, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Very nice and put together. I love the green. I’ve been looking to buy a green duvet cover myself. Where did you find the wooden ampersand?

miche
    June 16, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I just wanted to tell you that your bedroom is beautiful. Along with the rest of your home

Nicole
    June 16, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Love the look of the dark and green contrast. I’m sure you’re sleeping well in your new room!

Katrina
    June 16, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Your bedroom came together so nicely – I really like the bedding you choose! It suits the dark grey perfectly.

Jen
    June 16, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Why would you let your child jump on your bed?? Don’t do it.

Jess
    June 17, 2010 at 8:19 am

Love your new, dark bedroom. I am also loving your Real Living magazine! It’s the only one I buy over here – always so much inspiration!

Mona
    June 17, 2010 at 8:23 am

Stunning!

You’ve inspired me to paint my bedroom in a dark gray too!

Thanks for all your daily inspiration!

Parenthetical Me » Blog Archive » Something’s gotta give (in this case, sleep)
    June 17, 2010 at 9:20 am

[…] via Making It Lovely […]

katie
    June 17, 2010 at 9:29 am

i love love love those lights. how unique and adds great depth.

Judy
    June 17, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I love the look of the Edison. How low do the lights hang? I guess what I’m really wondering is how much space is there from the bottom of the lowest bulb to your bed?

Natalie
    June 17, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Gorgeous!!

It’s been so much fun to see it all come together.

LOVE the new art! Oh, and you’re really making me miss our beautiful gray walls :(

Rachel
    June 17, 2010 at 9:32 pm

It is all pulled together so nicely. I really love the artwork and the tray and the phone — great touches! Keep up the good work!

Streger Treppen
    June 19, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I love the zinc objekt on the wall – beautiful …!

Michelle
    June 19, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Great post & great blog. I love the chandelier in the bedroom! Very cool.

Warmly, Michelle

Faith, Trust and a little Pixie Dust

Parenthetical Me » Blog Archive » I’m SUCH a bloggabee
    June 21, 2010 at 1:20 pm

[…] seeing Nicole’s lovely bedroom redo, I ran out and bought the same paint […]

Misse
    June 21, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Hi! Can you please tell me where you purchased your nightstands? I think they would look great with the Ethan Allen Isabel headboard that I just purchased. Thanks in advance!

Misse
    June 21, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I love your room, btw! It’s fantastic.

Link Time! | My.BuzzCritic.com
    June 22, 2010 at 4:13 am

[…] on Summer vacation. – DIY LifeNicole gives her bedroom a dark and lovely facelift. – Making it LovelyMake an island counter from stacks of books! – CraftzineLearn everything you need to know […]

Lila
    June 24, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Yikes, I have this Edison Chandelier in my kitchen above the breakfast table. Absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!!! I get so many compliments on how unique it is! You did great in choosing that for your house.

shannon
    June 25, 2010 at 10:42 am

love love love the edison chandelier! there is a similar lighting option hack using hemma lights from ikea for around $100 instead of $399. http://www.instructables.com/id/Hemma-Light-Chandelier-Hack/

Ickemixe
    June 26, 2010 at 8:42 am

Wow, this looks absolutely amazing. Love the chandelier, the wall colour and the fabulous zink object. Wish my bedroom would look like this :)

Jennifer
    July 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I love the walls and ceiling in the same color. I’ve been contemplating that. I’m wondering if you do that in other rooms in your house. I’ll have to go back through posts with pics and pay more attention to that detail. :)

Linger » Blog Archive » Pretty Chandelier
    July 2, 2010 at 1:24 pm

[…] for the home are inspirations for when I get a place of my own.  This light bulb chandelier from Making it Lovely is a definite want.  It looks so pretty in the bedroom! […]

molly
    July 13, 2010 at 11:45 am

i am absolutely jealous that you got those striped sheets from West Elm! I ordered mine back in early May and they are supposedly going to ship next week – which is fine, because they’ll arrive just in time to put into my new apartment! the bedding combo looks great, though! I’m thinking of constructing a headboard with really graphic navy blue and white patterns and keeping the rest of the bedding simple with solid colors (chocolate brown down comforter, and purple gingham).

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Twitter Chat with John Gidding, and a HUGE Giveaway!
    July 22, 2010 at 8:16 am

[…] remember the lovely bedroom redesign that I did with the help of Membership Reward Points from American Express, yes? Well now I am […]

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Revisiting the 30 Before Thirty List
    September 23, 2010 at 11:48 am

[…] Painted and redecorated our bedroom. (Check it out!) […]

Kelli
    September 28, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Love the bedding! Where is it from?! I think my fiance will love it for our new apartment!

Bedroom- inspiration files « Hip House Girl
    October 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm

[…] Nicole, found here […]

Michelle
    October 15, 2010 at 11:40 am

Love the doors on the closet? Are they original or new? Would love to know where you got them…. thanks!

How Low Can You Go? | Making it Lovely
    January 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm

[…] high/low do you like your bedside table to be? Ours in the bedroom are about 6″ higher than the top of the mattress and that has always seemed like a good […]

2010 Recap: The Home | Making it Lovely
    January 5, 2011 at 9:30 am

[…] bedroom was redone in greens and grays, and it now features the most awesome chandelier […]

Honor Roll | Making it Lovely
    January 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm

[…] you like my bedroom Edison light, you will also like these modern glass globe […]

{jumping the gun} | {building a} little house in the country
    January 31, 2011 at 3:47 pm

[…] (here), I was smitten. Until I saw the price. I promptly fell out of lust. But then I saw it again (here), I was in love all over again. So I began stalking the C&B website. Eventually it went on sale […]

Erin
    February 4, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I love your bedroom! My husband and I just bought our first home and though we both love the rustic cottage theme that will be throughout, I must have my glamorous, retro bedroom and I look to pics like yours for inspiration. This is so cool, yet relaxing. Love what you have done!

angie
    April 8, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Please do share where your sliding white closet doors came from. Those are EXACTLY what I need! Thank you!!

Making it Lovely
      April 11, 2011 at 11:29 am

The closet doors were from The Home Depot. I think the brand was “Nu Porte.”

Eleanor’s New Big-Girl Bed | Making it Lovely
    May 7, 2011 at 11:05 pm

[…] is a pink zinnia quilt and sham mixed with striped sheets from west elm (the same sheets we have on our bed, but in green). We also have a comforter with a pink polka dot duvet cover for when it’s […]

Kat Palmer
    May 31, 2011 at 4:25 am

Your bedding and chandy are gorgeous! I also love the details of your antique zinc wall art, very nice find :)

Social Space Makeover Contest | Making it Lovely
    June 6, 2011 at 8:39 am

[…] year, I partnered with American Express and used their Membership Rewards points program to redo our bedroom. This summer, I was offered the chance to redo another space with 150,000 points, but I’ve […]

Nicole, help me make it lovely! | Go, haus, go!
    June 7, 2011 at 10:09 am

[…] when American Express gave her 150,000 AMEX points to make over her bedroom. (Check out her bedroom here.) Well this time around, when AMEX forked over another 150,000 points, Nicole decided to offer it up […]

Sarah
    October 14, 2011 at 10:35 am

OMG I adore your chandelier, I have been eyeing it off for ages! That or the Graumans ’85 Lamps’ chandelier… so tough!

OPP: A fresh and woven bedroom. |
    November 14, 2011 at 8:42 am

[…] are plug-in to avoid any of the tricky hard-wiring. Two placed on either side of the bed (like this) would look fantastic and give some interest to the main wall. The dark finish will contrast […]

Meghan
    June 18, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I’ve been a reader for a little while now but somehow have never seen your bedroom. Imagine my surprise when I clicked on your home tour–I have the exact same green C&B comforter and WE striped sheets! I’ve paired them with Martha Stewart’s “Plumage” (deep teal) paint color on the walls and throw pillows with Robert Allen Khanjali Peacock fabric–it’s really interesting seeing just how different our two bedrooms look even though the major pieces are the same! Yours is very lovely :)

Planning a Mini-Makeover for the Bedroom | Making it Lovely
    June 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm

[…] comments Updating Eleanor’s room has made me think I should do a little something to our own bedroom too. The shell of the room is good — charcoal gray walls, dark bamboo flooring, a gray carpet, […]

The Bedroom’s Mini-Makeover | Making it Lovely
    July 26, 2012 at 2:46 pm

[…] 26 Bookmark or Share 0 comments Coral & Gray, with Black & White DetailsThe bedroom is looking a bit different these days. The shell of the room is the same. Same charcoal gray walls, […]

Reba
    December 5, 2012 at 10:16 am

Hi! I love your gray color on your walls. Did you paint the ceiling the same color as the walls or is it a few shades lighter? I can’t tell. I want to paint my ceilings the same color as my walls so am looking up ideas and pictures.

Reba
    December 5, 2012 at 10:17 am

Also what is the name of the gray color?

Alex
    December 7, 2012 at 1:19 am

Hi! What is the name of the blue paint color on the wall?? I love this room and the paint colors:))

Making it Lovely
      December 7, 2012 at 1:23 am

Thank you. It’s a warm gray though, not blue. Zinc, by Martha Stewart.

Alex
    December 7, 2012 at 7:11 am

No your accent wall

Making it Lovely
      December 7, 2012 at 9:28 am

There is no accent wall. If you mean the closet doors, those are white.

alex
    December 7, 2012 at 10:03 am

HAHA oops sorry! i totally thought the wall with the window was a lighter blue color.

Now We Are Six | Making it Lovely
    January 15, 2013 at 1:32 pm

[…] 2010 – I was sick of the white bedroom. Where was the color? Where was all the pattern? Boom, there it is. (You’d think I could have learned a lesson there about too much […]

Knock-off options for Pottery Barn Edison Chandelier | The Em Dash
    January 17, 2013 at 12:02 am

[…] So I say all of this to get to what I really wanted to write about: this light on the Making It Lovely blog. […]

Brittany
    March 15, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I love your room. Where did you purchase your bed frame/headboard?

Colleen
    June 25, 2013 at 6:47 am

How long are your curtains above the bed? do they go right to the floor or are they shorter?

Starting on Our Bedroom | Making it Lovely
    September 25, 2013 at 2:39 pm

[…] but it wasn’t the right fit in the front parlor. It will limit our bedding options somewhat (the green setup we had doesn’t look so hot, for instance), but we still have plenty of sheets and quilts that do […]

Frank
    November 6, 2013 at 10:44 am

Hi great color. What is the finish of your ceiling and walls. I’m doing a gray for my living room and dining room walls and ceiling in same color but can’t decide if I should paint the ceiling and walls in an eggshell since all my walls are eggshell now.

• 1 2