Choosing New Bedding

I am working with American Express to redo my bedroom. This week they have provided me with 50,000 Membership Rewards points.

I always start with the bedding when I want a new look in the bedroom. The only thing that has a bigger impact than new bedding for less money is paint, but then you actually have to paint. And I like painting (I really do), but I also like the wall color we already have.

Well OK, I may still paint… I’m not sure yet. But anyway, bedding! I liked each of these:

1. Organic Summer Leaf
  2. Links
  3. Marimekko Madison Yellow
  4. Double Dot

They were all good options, but none of them were perfect. Then I found the Abigail Paisley set.

I bought a paisley sheet set nearly a decade ago and I’ve loved it for years, but it has become completely threadbare and faded. I’m so happy to have found a replacement! I redeemed my Membership Rewards points for two $250 gift certificates to Crate & Barrel and ordered the duvet cover with two pillow shams. I also ordered a green quilt and shams at the risk of being too matchy-matchy, but I think it will look good. I already have a set of white sheets, so I’m set in that department. Wouldn’t a set of striped sheets be cute though? Maybe I’ll try to track them down next week (the website says they’re on back order).

What do you think? Will the gray sheets look funny with my brown bed?

p.s. Isn’t this looking a lot like the Striking Stripes and Polka Dots edition of MiY I did not long ago? I loved that one; I’m pretty jazzed about doing something similar!

82 Responses to “Choosing New Bedding”

1. Beth May 12, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

The green fabric looks great! it will definitely make your bedroom much more lively!

2. Claudia May 12, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

I love those yellow ones. I want them. I heart them.

3. stacey erin May 12, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

Hello! I’ve been following your blog for a few months now and absolutely LOVE what you’ve done with your home. (I’m a fellow Chicagoan – currently: Logan Square.) I too have been in bedroom make-over mode and searching for the perfect duvet. The Marimekko yellow (#3) and the paisley that you ordered have both definitely been on my radar. I LOVE the mix of the paisley and stripes / feminine and masculine.

4. melanirae May 13, 2010 at 11:04 am #

I love the brown, or the green. I read somewhere that yellow is the color most likely to make babies cry….so there’s that.

5. Kathryn Humphreys May 13, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

Just saw this and thought of your pattern. I’ve never bought home stuff from Lands End, but their kids clothes are great (at least in terms of keeping up with my kids dirt, not really a good test for bed sheets :) The catalog I got today looked to have much more grey and yellow in the pattern then the web swatch does though. http://www.landsend.com/pp/PaisleyPrintBeddingCollection~208742_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::GYA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00005__0000000260&origin=index

6. Katy R May 13, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

I have the yellow Marimekko duvet and LOVE it – so soft and comfortable and so pretty :)

7. Annelise May 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm #

Too funny! I was just trying to convince my sister to update her bedding and I chose the first three duvets for her. I almost bought the Marimekko duvet for myself a few months ago.

8. Lisa May 14, 2010 at 2:40 am #

Ah, the grey and brown, I think will be fine. Especially since you’re only going to see the turn-down, right?

As for the Ikea sheets…I don’t recall how they sell sheets in the States (tongue twister!) but here in Norway, we use a fitted sheet and a duvet cover. I kind of miss the flat sheet, but the duvet covers are really soft.

9. CommaHappy May 15, 2010 at 11:31 am #

The paisley is cool and fits your design plan well… but I also LOVE the yellow Marimekko one!

10. Laura May 29, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

Oh my goodness! Thank you SO much for this post! I have been looking for bedding in yellow and green for a couple weeks now and have been unsuccessful. Until now! I adore #3 and plan on buying it on my next trip to Crate & Barrel.

11. kiran June 24, 2010 at 12:04 pm #

I love the paisley abigail set. I was not sure what to pair it with but love the stiped sheets that you chose so I think that I may go that route. I have the IKEA malm bed in birch colour – do you think that this would match? My walls are a lighter grey than yours although my carpet is light so I would look at getting a rug for it …

There is no Crate & Barrel near me so I have planned a trip to Toronto (the closest place) to go and buy them in the middle of June. Your thoughts would be greately appreciated.

Thanks :)

1. Hello, Gorgeous! | Kotona ~ At Home - May 17, 2010

[...] Posted on May 17, 2010 by ekoti Nicole‘s post about choosing new bedding reminded me that Marimekko textiles are indeed available in the States via Crate & Barrel. [...]

2. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Possible Paint Colors for the Bedroom - May 18, 2010

[...] I mentioned last week, I haven’t decided if I’m going to paint the bedroom or not. If I do though, I’m [...]

3. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » This is What Our Bedroom Looks Like - July 21, 2010

[...] came together just as I hoped it would. The colors and patterns of the new bedding look great together, and our bed feels so soft with its new pillows and [...]