Quick New Curtains

I whipped up a couple of new curtains yesterday for the front door and window using an ANNO LJUV sheer panel from IKEA. The fabric was a little tricky because the flower petals are stiff and the rest is a very soft mesh, but I used the zigzag stitch on my sewing machine (a first for me) and that worked well. I think that slipping another café curtain rod (I use the $3 cheapies from Target) along the bottom will help the window curtain hang more smoothly.

The front entry seems to get so much more light now! Well, that’s probably also because I took the screen door off. I was feeling industrious yesterday.

22 Responses to “Quick New Curtains”

1. A Jill of All Trades October 15, 2010 at 10:01 am #

I am all about finding ways to let more light in! We have a Ranch style house, so most of the bedroom windows are small and I hate it. It’s a good thing we won’t be living here for much longer.

2. Design Elements October 15, 2010 at 10:03 am #

more light is perfect.

happy weekend

3. Jenae October 15, 2010 at 10:03 am #

I love Ikea’s panel curtains. They can totally transform a window.

4. Wendy October 15, 2010 at 10:32 am #

pretty!!!

5. Laurie October 15, 2010 at 10:49 am #

Very pretty!!!

6. Jamie October 15, 2010 at 10:57 am #

That looks fabulous!!!

7. Sara W October 15, 2010 at 11:12 am #

Oooh love how this looks!

8. Katie Truelove October 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm #

I love how the light comes through there- so pretty!

9. Carrie October 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm #

Did you paint the entryway?
    I really love that fabric and look! So pretty!

10. Caitlin October 15, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

Wow, the new shade looks great! Is it super sheer/almost see-through or is there enough privacy?

11. Urbanblonde October 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

What no ditch digging? ;)

Taking off a screen door and sewing that curtain (which I love by the way!) seems a lot like nesting! :)

12. Lindsay October 15, 2010 at 9:36 pm #

You always find the greatest fabrics and textiles. Very inspirational :)
    Love your home and your blog!

Lindsay

13. Mandi October 16, 2010 at 8:54 am #

It’s really pretty! You might prefer something stiff but flat and translucent in that bottom channel, rather than another cafe rod . . . many materials would work, but I’m thinking of something along the lines of a clear acrylic ruler (but in the appropriate length/thickness.) Even clear acetate would stiffen/smooth it appreciably.

14. Nicole October 16, 2010 at 11:33 am #

I absolutely love this website. So many good ideas and everything is so nicely done. I have been thinking about what kind of curtain to use for my front entryway window (nearly identical to this one!) and I think I may try something similar. Thanks for sharing.

15. Brigitte October 16, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

Lovely! My sewing machine is so old that it doesn’t even offer zig-zag, which severely limits my sewing. It’s such a bummer.

You could also pick up some drapery weights, as an alternative to a rod. They have them at Joann’s.

16. Holyoke Home October 18, 2010 at 9:52 am #

OOoh! I really liked the previous iteration, but this is SO pretty!

17. The Austin Betty October 18, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

How did you hang up the curtain? What hardware did you use?

18. Mrslimestone October 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

Pretty! I love the pattern on these but the whole wall of them is too much for me. This is just perfect.

19. Jenn October 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

Love the curtain! My mom needed to weight her curtains too and my stepdad bought her roll-up lead weight. It looks like clay rolled up.

20. EmmmyLizzzy October 18, 2010 at 7:42 pm #

Very nice – I’ve been eyeing this panel for awhile now. Looks great!

21. Debbie October 19, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

I have always loved Tord Boontje’s panel curtains (http://www.unicahome.com/catalog/item.asp?id=14687&PartnerID=FR) and I’m thrilled to see that Ikea is now making a panel curtain that has that same organic pattern and translucency. I am totally going to try this on a window in my entry way!

1. » Spooky Halloween Front Porch for BHG Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. - October 26, 2010

[...] also took off our screen door (it was blocking the view of the silhouetted birds), and I made new curtains for the front door and [...]