Spooky Halloween Front Porch for BHG

My fourth and final project for Better Homes & Gardens can finally be revealed! I decorated our front porch for Halloween with 2D and 3D spooky crows on twisted branches. My porch is up against the other three bloggers’ projects, so please vote for your favorite at bhg.com.

In addition to the crows, several rats can also be found cavorting about. Even Bernard the monkey (I picked him up on clearance over the summer at Z Gallerie) has found a small furry friend.

The project was pretty straightforward, but here’s how I did it…

Supplies

• black construction paper or poster board
  • scissors
  • pencil
  • transparent tape
  • large branches (the gnarlier, the better)
  • black spray paint (optional)
  • fake crows
  • wire (if your crows do not have it already)
  • planters and bricks/rocks for bases

Instructions

• Sketch a barren tree and a couple of crows onto your black paper.
  • Cut out your shapes and affix them to your door or window with transparent tape.
  • If you need to darken your branches, spray them with a bit of black paint and let them dry.
  • Fill your planters with rocks or bricks and insert your branches.
  • Perch your birds in the branches and secure them with wire (my birds’ feet had wire built-in for this purpose).

I also took off our screen door (it was blocking the view of the silhouetted birds), and I made new curtains for the front door and window.

Remember, you can vote every day until Halloween for your favorite project at bhg.com. Now I can’t wait to answer the door for the neighborhood trick-or-treaters on Sunday…

41 Responses to “Spooky Halloween Front Porch for BHG”

1. Gloria October 26, 2010 at 10:03 am #

Love it, very spooky. I also voted. Your door is definitely the best!

2. Kari October 26, 2010 at 10:09 am #

Spooky, yes. But somehow, you still made it look very chic! Nicely done!

3. Cat October 26, 2010 at 10:19 am #

It looks awesome- I love the new curtains!!! Such a fun pattern, glad you posted an outdoor shot. I love that you made it spooky but not grotesque- we had to skip quite a few houses last year because they weren’t little kid friendly.

4. merlin513 October 26, 2010 at 10:25 am #

Looks great!

5. Mrslimestone October 26, 2010 at 10:32 am #

Love this! Perfect execution of spooky in an attainable and beautiful way. (I wanted to cover my whole house in birds for this years theme but couldn’t get the supplies I needed at a price I thought was fair).

6. cara October 26, 2010 at 10:33 am #

Ooooohhh… I definitely like your door the best! and I love that you incorporated things you already had.

7. Kia October 26, 2010 at 10:37 am #

I love it . Yours is the best by far.

8. Katie Truelove October 26, 2010 at 10:43 am #

Voted! I love the branches and the crows! I don’t think I could decorate with the fake rats since I live in NYC…too close to home;)

• Making it Lovely October 27, 2010 at 10:32 am #

Yeah, you might want to skip the rats then. ;)

9. Melissa October 26, 2010 at 10:45 am #

Love this! I’ll go vote.

10. melanie October 26, 2010 at 11:02 am #

this looks great! I love it.

11. Emily S October 26, 2010 at 11:18 am #

I love how you made it look nice and spooky, but left out the gaudy factor!

12. Ashlea October 26, 2010 at 11:39 am #

Yours is the best! Very well done.

13. Danielle October 26, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

Adorable! Love that you kept a theme.

How is the weather by you? I am in Detroit and it has just started over here.

• Making it Lovely October 27, 2010 at 10:32 am #

We weren’t hit too badly by the storm, thankfully. I hope it wasn’t too bad in your area.

• Danielle October 27, 2010 at 1:48 pm #

Actually we were expecting way worse and didn’t get much of anything. Today is super windy though!

• Making it Lovely October 27, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

I know… I just went out to get the mail and was hit by a huge gust!

14. Funnelcloud Rachel October 26, 2010 at 12:39 pm #

Love this – so creative and spooky, yet stylish!

15. Susan/Project Balancing Act October 26, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

Yours is the best! Hurray for a spooky Halloween! I voted for ya.

16. Gwendolyn Wise October 26, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

It’s my favorite! +1 vote for you! :)

17. Clearly Composed October 26, 2010 at 4:37 pm #

Spooky and chic? Wowza and bravo on that. :)

18. Decor Girl October 26, 2010 at 4:42 pm #

You get my vote for most tasteful Halloween exterior!

19. Mélo October 26, 2010 at 7:25 pm #

yours is by far the best one!!!! REALLY LOVE IT!!!!!!!! make me think of the crow.. I love that movie!

20. captain kk October 26, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

looks amazing!

21. Kristen October 26, 2010 at 10:16 pm #

Your porch looks great! I love that it looks spooky and classy at the same time! Fantastic job!

22. georgia October 27, 2010 at 4:42 am #

I like this and the pumpkins from your bhg projects the most!
    I also appreciate the ANNO LJUV panel a little more now as well.
    Hope you’ll win :)

23. Uchenna October 27, 2010 at 6:17 am #

Wow, great job! I voted for you today. Will do again tomorrow.

24. Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d October 27, 2010 at 9:23 am #

I think it looks great. Your porch looks the most Halloween-ish, rather than fall in general. I voted for you.

On a side note, I did a similar tree and bird combo to our front:

25. Cate O'Malley October 27, 2010 at 10:26 am #

Just voted – no contest!

26. Making it Lovely October 27, 2010 at 10:31 am #

Thanks for all your support so far, everyone. I’m actually in first place today (for the first time in these four projects)! Please continue to vote each day until Halloween. I really appreciate it!

27. jane October 27, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

just voted – awesome (as always)!

just a quick question (yet again): your house door, love the way you managed to shade/sticker/cover/laminate it (sorry not sure the right for it), mind me asking where you got that from!? that is EXACTLY what we need for our balcony door!
    thanks

• Making it Lovely October 27, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

Do you mean the new curtains?

• jane October 27, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

oh wow, didn’t realize they were curtains!
        thanks so much :)

28. anne-marie October 28, 2010 at 8:18 am #

Love this look! you’ve inspired me to get out there and get my door done – and I voted – best of luck!

29. Cynthia Fox-Giddens October 29, 2010 at 9:14 am #

You have a great blog. I enjoyed this Halloween post.

30. PriscilaPetersDecor October 31, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

Great images!! I love the decor

31. Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. September 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Found you through Pinterest and I absolutely love the raven theme! It looks amazing! Just wanted to let you know that I am featuring this in a post tomorrow on Halloween porches – with link back of course! =)

1. Smitten and Hazel » Spooky Halloween porch - October 28, 2010

[...] Great Halloween inspired project idea to decorate your front porch for trick-or-treaters! Designed by Making it Lovely for a Better Homes & Gardens contest. Get the how-to here! [...]

2. Design Crush » Happy {Halloween} Weekend. - October 29, 2010

[...] Have you seen these spookified decoration displays from Making it Lovely and Brooklyn [...]

3. Halloween – 3 | Déjà minuit ?! - October 29, 2010

[...] de porte d’entrée, pour accueillir dignement tous les petits monstres qui se présenteront dimanche (Making it [...]

4. what’s green, orange and red? hannah’s pumpkin carving accident. | syllablesandpixels - October 30, 2010

[...] It doesn’t even have to be a real pumpkin. There are apparently such things as “faux pumpkins”. Weird? Perhaps, but my God, they’re awesome,as Making it Lovely’s Nicole Balch proved, as part of an amazing Halloween set-up. [...]