Which Bed for Eleanor?

Which Bed for Eleanor?

I’m torn. I love the cool peacock headboard that we have from eBay (to be painted), but I’ve been thinking that the Minnen extendable bed may be a better fit for us right now.

• If I use the peacock headboard, I’ll have to get a twin-sized bed for it. That’s going to limit my layout options in the room. What I love about the Minnen is that it’s as wide as a twin-size, but the length is adjustable.
  • The peacock headboard would attach to the wall and the bed would just bump up next to it. Maybe this is silly to think, but I feel like the bed will shift away and the pillows will always be falling down behind. No?
  • The Minnen is really cute here, and would look much better with wallpaper (if we in fact wallpaper).
  • I do worry about the slats of the Minnen shifting under jumping kiddos on the bed (since a few readers mentioned that as being a problem with IKEA beds).
  • If we have more kids and two need to share a room, I think two Minnen beds would work well. (But that’s a big hypothetical IF, and many years away.)
  • That peacock headboard is just plain awesome. Although Eleanor may well break off the cirlicues.
  • When we go to IKEA, Eleanor is drawn to the Minnen. But Brandon pointed out that she would probably be equally happy to have the peacock headboard too.

I don’t know. I can argue for or against each one. What do you think?

191 Responses to “Which Bed for Eleanor?”

1. Brandi December 16, 2010 at 7:41 am #

Although the Minnen is super cute, in person it does seem rather flimsy. I say go with the Jenny Lind from Land of Nod and save the amazing and delicate Peacock for when Eleanor is older. The Jenny Lind is so charming and versatile. It looks like it will stand up to playful growing children and be suitable for both a girl and a boy. I love it here in Sunshine Ruffalo’s home (from the estate of things blog): http://www.theestateofthings.com/wp_teot/2010/05/05/big-up-yourself/

2. Sara @travelsinheels December 16, 2010 at 8:31 am #

I like the peacock headboard! I think it will grow with her longer. They are both great but I like how you can customize the peacock bed.

3. Erin December 16, 2010 at 8:38 am #

Tough call! In situations like these, I tend to go with practicality. I went to Land of Nod to see what Brandi was talking about and WOW it’s super cute too. But you don’t want a third option! Since you already own the peacock, you have it as a backup if you buy the Minnen and end up not liking. I’m not a fan of sleeping with footboards so it’s appealing to me since I burrow and my feet stick out. Not being sure of Eleanor’s sleeping habits, I have officially been no help!

4. Mellissa December 16, 2010 at 8:45 am #

use the peacock if that’s what you already have… that’s practical and it’s adorable.

5. Heather K December 16, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

Having no clear opinion myself, I called in my resident “experts,” my daughters ages 7-1/2 & 11. Both said the Minnen is your best choice. My 7-1/2-year-old especially liked the side rails for safety/comfort (though she also loves the fanciness of the peacock headboard). Maybe Eleanor could use the Minnen for a couple years and when your baby boy is ready for a big bed, he can use the Minnen and you can get a twin bed for big sister at that time.

6. Amanda December 16, 2010 at 6:41 pm #

I’ve been lurking here for awhile but just thought I’d say this…

I have a wall mounted headboard myself. When I first switch (from a full sleigh bed) I was nervous about the pillows falling behind and it being a royal pain. Fortunately I’ve had no problems with that. Its myself and two dogs using it every night and we’ve had no problems whatsoever.

All your options are lovely but I am partial to the peacock headboard. Its so pretty!

7. Nicoletta December 17, 2010 at 12:33 am #

Peacock all the way! Much more versatile. You can use any simple twin bead frame and the headboard can be changed out anytime. I would just get a cheap metal frame and a box spring, or just put it on the floor. You could also go toddler bed style and just set it up like a daybed.

8. JR December 17, 2010 at 1:13 pm #

The minnen is rather low to the ground if you plan to use it beyond her toddler years – so you’d have to get a new ‘real twin’ size bed for her once she’s 3/4 years old anyway – I’d get the Jenny Lind from Land of Nod & use a bed rail while she’s little (the Jenny Lind is not extremely high off the ground either – so a tumble will not be too serious).

9. pascaletb December 17, 2010 at 1:20 pm #

Love, love, love the peacock headbooard but little fingers are not rattan friendly. Lovely curlicues are so easy to break.
    I don’t know whether somebody has suggested that already but you could use it as a stencil and paint it on the wall or on a fabric covered headboard.

10. Brianne December 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

I say the Peacock Headboard. It’s unique and beautiful. You can always attach it to a metal bed frame with bolts or even zip ties them hide them with a cute skirt! :)

11. Chicky Chicky Baby December 17, 2010 at 3:50 pm #

I usually lurk but I had to comment on this because we have the Minnen in white and while it is cute, it is a perfect pain in the neck to change the bedding due to the footboard and railings on the sides. Top quilts need to be tucked in and I’m not a fan of that look.

However, it does hold up well – my five year old will be getting a new, more mature bed that will grow with her in a few months and my 2 year old will be getting the Minnen unless we spring for a new toddler bed. If you get it, I would recommend getting a regular twin mattress when you’re ready to extend it because the mattress it comes with is two pieces and, again, a pain in the neck.

Wow, ramble-y. Sorry! Obviously I feel strongly about this. :)

12. Amy December 17, 2010 at 3:52 pm #

I’m not going to read through all the comments, as I’m sure somebody already suggested this – but if the Minnen bed appeals to you because of the small size – why couldn’t the peacock bed be worked up with a smaller frame (that the headboard can bolt to)? You could maybe even use it with a minnen-style mattress…

13. Jane December 17, 2010 at 8:29 pm #

Does your daughter move around a lot when she sleeps? If so, the Minnen is a good choice because it’s low to the ground and the sides prevent most kids from falling out anyway. Our 4 year old has one and we love it. I would not allow her to jump on it though…the slats seem sturdy but not strong enough for jumping.

As for making her bed, we just have a fluffy comforter on it and no top sheet so it’s simple for her.

14. Delta December 17, 2010 at 9:52 pm #

The Minnen! Super practical and so good looking!

15. Jordan December 18, 2010 at 1:16 am #

I have two vanity chairs that match your peacocke headboard exactly. The swirls can break off easily as you feared, but it is such a beautiful & fun design. And so very special & whimsical. Either option is ultimately a great option, but you do already have the headboard. I use one of the chairs in my ten year olds room & it just does add a special, girly touch. Good luck!

16. laura December 18, 2010 at 5:36 pm #

The peacock one! pretty! and as a kid, I woulda felt trapped in the other one :-\

17. Kellie December 18, 2010 at 7:02 pm #

I had a peacock style headboard when I was little and I did, indeed, break off the curlicues. “If they’re pretty on my headboard, they’ll be even prettier off my headboard!!!!” RIIIPPPPP!

18. Melissa December 20, 2010 at 11:42 pm #

When I was a little girl, I had a peacock headboard at my grandparents’ house. I loved it and always felt like such a princess sleeping in that bed. The bedding was yellow and blue, the curtains matched… just like a princess’ room.

1. Just to Complicate Things Further | Making it Lovely - December 18, 2010

[...] It’s funny… I first blogged about Jenny Lind style beds a year and a half ago, after choosing Eleanor’s crib. And now without me bringing it up again, a few people are recommending this bed in the comments of my last post. [...]

2. Decision Made. | Making it Lovely - December 19, 2010

[...] know the peacock headboard is cool/unique/cute/awesome, but almost everyone that had one when growing up admitted to breaking [...]

3. Eleanor’s New Big-Girl Bed | Making it Lovely - April 27, 2011

[...] bed. Vintage wicker peacock headboard? May not survive the toddler years. Toddler bed? Not for us. Adjustable toddler-to-twin? A strong contender. But in the end, I went with my favorite, a Jenny Lind [...]

4. A Bed for August? | Making it Lovely - February 5, 2013

[...] like to have a room plan in place, and that hinges on the bed. I had a hard time choosing a bed for Eleanor, too. I thought about a curlicue wicker headboard (too fragile), or IKEA’s adjustable Minnen [...]