Well-Traveled Outdoor Space

My thoughts always turn to outdoor spaces the minute the weather starts to warm up. We’re still a little chilly here in Chicago, but it will be nice out soon enough.

I imagine this as a tucked away corner in a lush garden, up against a wall covered by plants growing in wooly pockets. The bench looks weathered and modern at the same time, and I’d use a ceramic garden stool or two as extra seating or a place to set a drink. Candles in lanterns overhead and an outdoor rug define the space and add to the traveled feeling.

15 Responses to “Well-Traveled Outdoor Space”

1. Teresa May 3, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

Oh, this really is a lovely palate…makes me long for an outdoor area! Congrats to Ms. Eleanor on her recent 2nd birthday :)

2. kate so May 3, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Love the rug. We have a screened in porch that needs a little attention. The siding is white, the wood surrounding the screens are a deep red, and I’m thinking of painting the floor a nice greige to match the limestone detail we have on the front of the house. The rug might be just what we need.

3. Ryan May 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

I saw this run in the catalog and fell in love. I wish it came in an indoor version! I considered using it in my dining room, but judging from the close-up photos it’s definitely very outdoor material.

4. homestilo May 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

This will make for a very exotic corner in Chicago- love it!

5. Holyoke Home May 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

Oh crap.

Now I have to buy a rug.

Thanks a lot! <-(totally fake annoyance.)

6. Gwendolyn May 3, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

Those lanterns are great!

7. Elisa @ What the Vita May 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

I’ve been drooling over that rug ever since I saw it in the catalog and you’re paired it nicely with all these other things! I bet that rug would look cute even indoors.

8. Marcia V. of Precious Style May 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

Oh yes, I love this concept. The rug, stool, and lanterns are so up my alley.

9. Dayna May 3, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

I love the outdoor space you put together! Especially that Ceramic Stool from Overstock.com. Oh how I wish they shipped to Canada. I have been eying that CB2 Casbah rug too and luckily they do ship up North! Hmmm….

10. lauren claire | on the park May 3, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

Fellow Chicagoan here– I’m glad you’re more optimistic about our weather than I am. All of the warm patches we’ve had here and there have been so cruel, especially with today’s gray chilliness!

I LOVE that cb2 rug. I’ve actually been thinking about it for our kitchen. We have awful linoleum tile in our rental kitchen, and I want something large enough to cover up the majority of the floor. I’m thinking an outdoor rug would be good for the inevitable cooking spills!

11. Julia May 4, 2011 at 3:27 am #

Love love love the bench and the wallypockets! Awesome!

12. Laurendy May 4, 2011 at 10:20 am #

Love, love, love that Dextor bench – so much so that I included it in one of my own post. It’s nice to see it in different setting (moodboard-wise, that is)

13. Cat May 4, 2011 at 10:23 am #

I LOVE wally pockets. I just ordered a few. SO gorgeous.

14. Ashley @ DesignBuildLove.co May 4, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

gorgeous!

15. jbhat May 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Very nice. I am picturing all of that on our long front porch. Wonder if that rug comes in runner size.

jbhat