Toy Storage in Eleanor’s New Room

Partially Furnished by The Land of Nod

Eleanor was happy to sleep in her big-girl bed, but bringing in her toys really sealed the deal on her new room.

There is a nook behind the door to her room that lends itself well to toy storage. It used to look like this when it was still my studio:

Storage Behind the Door

Now that all of the studio furniture has made its way down to the basement, I put a couple of storage bins for toys along that wall. I was going to switch out those curtains that I made, but I decided that they were too cute to get rid of.

Larger toys go in the opposite corner under the eaves. It’s looking a little messy already, so I think I’ll add a big basket help contain things a bit.

We gave Eleanor a train set for her birthday, and she’s been having a lot of fun with it (“CHOO CHOO!!!”) on her play table. I like that there is a trundle underneath for storage too. That’s where her vintage colorforms blocks and a few other toys are.

The bookshelves in her room are gorgeous, but they could use a little bit of styling. Nothing too over the top (this is a toddler’s room), but a little prettying up wouldn’t hurt.

I need to figure out what to do above them for art. You can see the closet to the right there, with the recycled paper bunting that I made a while back, and that’s staying. The bunny clock was in Eleanor’s nursery and I like it in her new room, but it isn’t necessarily staying where it is. I think the fabric ‘e’ might get hung too, but I’m not sure what else to do. Maybe a big art grouping? Any ideas?

79 Responses to “Toy Storage in Eleanor’s New Room”

1. Melissa May 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

Did Eleanor’s pink chest of drawers not make the move to her new room? I absolutely adored that piece (and your tutorial regarding its refinish was posted on another blog, which was my introduction to makingitlovely). Also, I’m trying to picture where her new bed is in relation to the new bookshelves, storage bins, and closet and entry doors, etc. Is it against the wall that borders the dining room? Just curious…your home is stunning!

• Making it Lovely May 5, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

Yes, the pink dresser is in the room! I just haven’t shown that side yet. I can post a layout soon of the room too.

2. jaime May 5, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Every year for my son’s birthday, I get him art work. Right now he’s just two so he has the calendar page from his birthday month & year (it’s the paper source calendar), http://www.etsy.com/transaction/26058493 for his first birthday, and this for his second: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/46288010

when he gets older, I will get his input as well. But I second the larger print over the shelves… possible something black and white.

3. bethany May 5, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

I think Eleanor and her pig tails are the cutest addition to the room by far. Cracks me up!

4. Lizzie May 5, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

As an avid follower of your blog, how did I miss the pink beanbag?! Would you mind sharing where you got it and if Eleanor uses it often? My Olivia will be 1 in June and we are thinking of what she’ll need in her toddler nursery.

Merci!

• Making it Lovely May 5, 2011 at 9:13 pm #

It was from Target. We bought it a year ago to go in the sunken play area in the nursery, and now it’s in her new room. Eleanor loves it! She plops down on it and drags it all over the place.

5. Sabrina May 5, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

Have you ever looked at “Tummy Mountain” on Etsy? They have some adorable pints in their shop, specifically this one:

If I had kids I’d have a nursery full of their stuff. Too cute!

6. nikki 29 chgo May 6, 2011 at 12:21 am #

wow…that room looks huge! you always do such a great job!

7. M May 6, 2011 at 7:02 am #

Frame her art creations!

8. Catherine May 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

the wall above the bookcases is calling out for an oversized pale yellow and hot pink/orange big girl silhouette of Eleanor. preferably with the pigtails :) she is just the cutest!

9. Jessica May 6, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

Where did you get Eleanor that cute rabbit shirt?

10. Ash May 9, 2011 at 5:52 am #

Saw this http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/morethanwords/product/personalised-family-house-rules and thought of your display dilemna – it can be customized to include Eleanor & August’s names very cute

11. Melanie May 14, 2011 at 9:43 am #

Eleanor is just so cute!! In the first picture she totally reminds me of Penny in Disney’s Bernhard & Bianca… and her new room is just adorable!! love it!!

1. They Posted These So I Don’t Have To | buymodernbaby.com blog - May 6, 2011

[...] published in the latest issue of the online magazine, Nesting Newbies. Nicole shared pictures of Toy Storage in Eleanor’s New Room on Making it Lovely.  I’ve had that Land of Nod Mojo play table on my wish list for a very [...]