My Newly Redone Office

I’ve spent the last month working on redecorating my home office. I partnered with Sherwin-Williams, using the new HGTV® HOME by Sherwin-Williams color collections and paint and a $1000 budget. Want to see how it turned out?

I think it’s looking really cute. Let’s take a closer look at each of the issues I addressed…

The Rug Vs. the Chair

The existing zigzag rug stayed, and I managed to find an affordable used Eames Management chair. In pink, no less! I would like to reupholster it someday, but I can rock the eighties’ dusty rose for a while.

The Computer (and the Wall Behind it)

The old computer that was sitting behind my new one (a silly thing to do) is now in the basement, and I’ll be setting up a desk down there for it eventually. I cleaned up the cords beneath my desk and from the desk to the printer behind me as well.

I chose art to go above the computer that could actually be seen, and moved the mirror (that was half-blocked) to the adjacent wall. The bird painting is by Amy Ruppel, the portait was from Paul Ferney, and the wall sculptures were discussed here.

Storage and Organization

I had to empty the huge shelving unit to paint the wall behind it (what a pain in the rear that was). The good thing about that though was that it forced me to rethink the way I put everything back. I was able to go through a lot of the books and things that I had on the shelves, and I pared it all down. Then I added some matching baskets along the bottom to make the toys look nicer, and I didn’t need to do anything further to organize my things.

The Curtain as a Closet Door

The curtain is gone! A door was fitted and hung for the closet, which cost more than I had anticipated and took a third of the budget. I love it though! A curtain for a door is fine, and a lot of people like that solution, but a true door feels more polished and keeps the kids and cats out. I painted the door the same color (“Snowbound,” #SW 7004 / LL17, semi-gloss) as the rest of the trim .

The Window

I painted the window white as well and chose to hang simple curtains from IKEA that match the wall color. I also planned to add a sheer roller shade, but my usual go-to (Enje shades) are unavailable right now.

Painting the Trim and the Walls

I used the new line of paint from HGTV® HOME by Sherwin-Williams for the office. The walls are “Contented” (#SW 6191 / LL12, flat finish) from the Livable Luxe collection, and I painted all of the trim “Snowbound” (#SW 7004 / LL17, semi-gloss), a white from the same color collection. The wall color is that hard to define color between green, blue, and gray, and it seems to be popping up everywhere these days. The color was a bit of a departure for me, but as I narrowed down my paint swatches, I kept finding myself drawn to it.

Lighting

The old ceiling fan that came with the house had seen better days. I still love the Jonathan Adler light that I chose for my former studio (now Eleanor’s room), so I picked up another to swap the office ceiling fan out for.

A Place for the Kids

I spend a lot of time in my office, so I was sure to include space for Eleanor and August to play. The small table and chairs are light enough to move them out of the way, but Eleanor loves coloring or playing there.

There you have it!

I love the way the office turned out. The office in our old apartment was pink, and when Brandon and I moved here, I chose the exact same color to quickly get my office ready. After nearly a decade with a pink office, I’m still getting used to the new color but I’m loving the white trim and the closet door. It feels good to have the space freshened up.

129 Responses to “My Newly Redone Office”

1. ellen patton August 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Wow – very cool! And I love the phone.

2. Annika August 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

Well done! Very nice colormatchings!

3. Alison August 16, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

I love it! I have cats myself (four) plus a long haired dog, and I always stay away from curtains that puddle on the floor simply because they accumulate sooo much fur. Do you have any tips on keeping the fur off? I vacuum constantly (literally every day), but fur still seems to cling to floor-touching curtains. I usually have to use a lint-remover to get it off. WIth my current house I’ve backed away from puddling curtains altogether just for this reason.

• Making it Lovely August 16, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

I think it’s all in the fabric selection. Plain cotton curtains and simple woven fabrics tend to be OK and not accumulate much fur. Velvet curtains (though I love the look) would be a nightmare.

4. Wendy August 16, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

love your office make over! fabulous!

5. jbhat August 16, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

It looks sooo pretty. Love your style.

jbhat

6. scs_68 August 16, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Looks great! Can you tell me where you found the desk? Also, how did you make the two-tone cabinets? Thanks.

• Making it Lovely August 16, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

The desk was from west elm and the storage cabinets are IKEA Effektiv units with glossy white doors.

7. Rose August 16, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

Looks great! Remember you can cross off “painting your office” from the 30 before 30 list now!

• Making it Lovely August 16, 2011 at 9:41 pm #

Oh, you’re right! At least I did it before I turned 31 (next month).

8. Sarah August 16, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

It looks really great – clean and simple and I LOVE that phone! where did you get it?? ;-)

9. Maria @ Orchard Bloom August 16, 2011 at 8:08 pm #

Lovely office! I’m digging your phone!

10. Viktoriya August 16, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

The space looks AMAZING, you should be very proud!! It’s so personalized, open, and comfortable. I love how you’ve included items that invite your kids into the room. Great job!!

11. Adventures In Babywearing August 16, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

Love the chair!!!

Steph

12. Lianne August 16, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

I can’t believe August is sitting up on his own! i have a little boy a few weeks younger than him and he’s not close. We need to get practicing.

13. Karl August 16, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

What is the beanbag / footrest, and where’d you find it?

14. Nikki August 16, 2011 at 10:38 pm #

Where did you get the banner? It’s adorable.

15. Krishann August 17, 2011 at 9:11 am #

It looks great! I love the touches of pink throughout the room and the white trim and accessories oh and the wall color! It looks like a great workspace that you and your little ones can utilize and really enjoy :)

16. Amy August 17, 2011 at 9:21 am #

The kid’s table and chair is an awesome idea! I love that!!

17. Edyta August 17, 2011 at 9:28 am #

It turned out so pretty! Love the gray and pink combination! I bet it feels so nice to work from there now :)

18. Kasey August 17, 2011 at 9:36 am #

How lovely! I would love to have a work space like this.

19. Kathryn August 17, 2011 at 11:03 am #

Love that screen saver! Where did you get it?

20. Kristen August 17, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Looks beautiful! Where can I get your screensaver?

21. Sandra Yeong August 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

Lovely Office. Do you wear shoe in the house?? I always wonder how everyone keep clean of the floor when there is pets running around and toddler crawling with fur around… some more with carpets… I am always shy away from Carpet with pets around.

22. Kari Shimmel August 17, 2011 at 5:43 pm #

Great job on your new office! I love the subtle touches and fully agree with you about the closet door. It provides a perfect level of sophistication. Thanks for sharing – I adore your blog!

23. Emma August 17, 2011 at 10:41 pm #

I love your owl! (cookie jar?) Great work on the redecorating!

24. Gill August 18, 2011 at 10:05 am #

Just Lovely! x

25. Jacqueline August 19, 2011 at 12:25 am #

Absolutely LOVE IT!!! What a gorgeous color palette.

26. Marcelle Rebelo August 19, 2011 at 11:08 am #

Hi, I am a librarian and English teacher and I am looking forward have my home office ready. Your ideas are inspiring. I shared them in my blog http://biblioideias.blogspot.com and it will be posted by tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration! The Braziliam people will love your ideas!

27. Nikki August 19, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

In the first photo, the wall to the left of the curtains (between the curtains and the bookshelves) looks to me to be blue. Is that just my screen? If it is different, can you please provide the color name? Thanks!

28. CBO August 19, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

Please don’t reupholster that chair ever!! It’s gorgeous. Beautiful space. Bravo.

29. Mary G August 20, 2011 at 9:15 am #

Hi Nicole,
    Love your blog. Can you tell me where you got the sweet kids table…looks metal..is it?

Thanks

30. Sil August 20, 2011 at 9:32 am #

Wow, I looooooooooooooooove it!
    I want that chair, too! Where did you find it?

XOXO
    Sil

31. Sarah August 22, 2011 at 5:44 am #

Great choice of color – often home offices look so cold and stark, but this is a room you want to spend time in.

32. Melissa August 23, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Jordan just announced on her site (ohhappyday.com) yesterday that Paul is offering The Commission Project again this year. His painting in your office is stunning. Thought I’d send you a head’s up in case you were eyeing another one.

33. Natalie August 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

This looks fantastic!! You truly did a wonderful job. Very chick, yet still livable. Well done! :)

34. Kimmie in Fort Worth September 4, 2011 at 12:45 am #

Gorgeous! My favorite part of the room, by far, is the rubber band around the cabinet knobs to keep out curious toddlers! ;)

35. Susan Miles September 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

Belevation Mom loves a great decorating job! This one is truly impressive. Terrific for Mom and Kids to safety co-exist in a neat,organized, beautiful space like this one!

36. Allison April 5, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Really lovely, Nicole. Thanks for sharing!

1. Where Did You Get That? (Office Edition) | Making it Lovely - August 17, 2011

[...] answered the questions about where everything came from in my last office post, but I thought I’d put together a page with the sources for everything. Check it out here. [...]

2. Hello | - August 18, 2011

[...] happened to notice two office makeovers on the blogs and lets face if, offices need comfotable [...]

3. {Inspiration} Books on bookshelf design ideas » The Organised Housewife - October 7, 2011

[...] {image credit}  [...]

4. 30 Before Thirty | Making it Lovely - February 1, 2012

[...] drinking soda. (Done!)Lose 20 pounds. (Not drinking soda should help.) (Done!)Repaint my office. (Done!)Sew a dress for Eleanor. (Done!)Clean out the basement. (It’s getting scary down there.) [...]

5. My Office in Ladies’ Home Journal | Making it Lovely - July 5, 2012

[...] friendly reminder that sometimes things in magazines look fantastic from certain angles. Trickery!My office originally looked like this, and mostly does again, but maybe a little less photo-ready.Thanks again, Ladies’ Home [...]

6. Shelving it | Making it Lovely - October 16, 2012

[...] it October 16 Bookmark or Share 0 comments Every day (or nearly), I sit in my home office across from my Expedit shelves. Truthfully, I’m kind of over them.More truthfully though? [...]

7. Home Office Inspiration: Making it Lovely's Re-done Office - November 20, 2012

[...] home office inspiration involves quite a bit of pink: Making it Lovely’s Nicole Balch’s newly-designed home office! I love how tastefully and sweetly the colors are used, and how each wall, each vignette and [...]

8. 20 idee per condividere lo spazio con i bambini - Ideare casa - January 23, 2013

[...] Making it Lovely [...]

9. My Office, Reimagined | Making it Lovely - February 4, 2013

[...] I came across these floral curtains, and was instantly smitten. Same goes for the card catalog style dressers. So I started thinking about where I would use them, and I decided to put together an alternative version of my office. [...]

10. { Avant-Après } Un grand bureau féminin et organisé… - DecoCrush - March 25, 2013

[...] le bureau d’où Nicole Balch du très joli blog Making it Lovely nous livre ses conseils déco…Son bureau est splendide, très féminin mais aussi très [...]

11. Half Bath Makeover: Blah Beige to Tiffany Blue | cika - August 31, 2013

[…] Although a bit brighter and much more intensely aqua than I originally intended (I was hoping for something like this), the turquoise paint makes the space seem airier, fresher and newer.  It also complements the […]