Style: September ’11

I liked using this sweater dress as a plain canvas to build a look around.

Here, I’d pair the dress with bare legs (while the weather still permits) and oxford heels. The clutch is interesting and a nice size, and I like the subtle color. A simple dress calls for bold jewelry, like this necklace and a big red ring. Along with the jewlelry, I’d go with gold polish and red lipstick (always a fan of red lipstick), and I’m loving the rerelease of Chanel No. 19.

So this is one way to style it, but it would go well with these shoes, watches, and purses too. Or with tights and boots, and maybe a belt. How would you wear it?

• • •

p.s. I put together a little girl’s version of this look for a mother/daughter style post.

15 Responses to “Style: September ’11”

1. Francine September 14, 2011 at 10:06 am #

I almost bought a sweater dress today but had no idea how I would wear it! I’ll keep checking this space for ideas!

2. bethany September 14, 2011 at 10:15 am #

I think it would be better proportioned on me with boots and a belt. I can’t wait to pull out my sweater dresses this fall!

3. Kimberly Moore September 14, 2011 at 11:15 am #

LOVE those shoes and the whole ensamble! Thanks for sharing :)

4. Erin September 14, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

REALLY love this! I particularly love the clutch with the dress–it’s so subtle.

5. Danielle September 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

How cute would that sweater dress be with a belt?!?!

6. Kate September 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

You recently posted about buying glitter nail polish for your sweet little girl, but liking it yourself. And can relate though I have no children to pretend shop for. :-) I’m not a bit into (ahem, obsessed) with gold glitter nail polish for Indian Summer here in SF – I have Butter London’s version which I thought I loved… until I picked up Deborah Lippmann’s Boom Boom Pow over the weekend. Amazing! Love wearing it with my Kate Spade idiom bangles. http://www.beautybar.com/p/Deborah-Lippmann-Nail-Lacquer-97669

• Kate September 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

Er… I meant “I’m a bit into…”. And by that I mean I’m having a gold glitter nail polish full on crush.

• Making it Lovely September 23, 2011 at 12:45 am #

I’m going to have to give that a try! So pretty.

7. Beth C September 14, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

I love Chanel No. 19!

8. Jessica at Lavender and Lilies September 14, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

I need to try that lipstick!

9. Kelly in DC September 14, 2011 at 10:54 pm #

has anyone tried the Kate Spade lipsticks? I’m curious, but want to hear a review. On another note, I bought the BEST red lipstick this weekend! Laura Mercier Satin Lip Colour in Sangria. the perfect blue-red, for my pale snow white complexion.

10. Rachel @ The Peach and The Pit September 15, 2011 at 9:43 am #

I love everything about this! Especially the oxfords…so adorable. I am in dire need of a Fall wardrobe make-over. I’m in the process of saving some money now so I can do it!

11. tattoo J September 18, 2011 at 5:04 am #

Really love thoes shose! Thanks for sharing :)

12. Steph September 18, 2011 at 9:33 am #

I really love the mother/daughter post. So cute w/o being overly matchy.

1. Sweater Dress Style for Mother & Daughter | Family Style - September 15, 2011

[...] girl along with versions that I’d actually wear. I put together a style post each month on Making it Lovely, and I decided to match it up for a little mother/daughter style. The inspiration is above, and [...]