Basement Kitchen Laundry Room

A Colorful Door, Colorful Appliances

(And a Big Goal)

I was thinking some more about lighting, and the plan for finishing the kitchen’s minor update. OK, really what I was doing was fixating on getting a new fridge in addition to painting the back door. A colorful door and a colorful appliance! Sounds perfect! While I was giving myself figurative back pats for so confidently deciding on a plan for the kitchen, I realized I’ve seen that combination somewhere before. On Pinterest, probably? No wait, it was somewhere else…

Laundry Room

Oh, right. In our laundry room. You know — that room right in my house? Duh.

The red washer and dryer were the nicest things in our basement for a very long time, until we elevated the surroundings with a remodel. When we finally did have a nice laundry room, I was extra glad that we spent a little more initially to get a red set instead of white.

Brandon and I took on our DIY kitchen remodel right away when we moved here in 2007, and we tried to keep the cost down as much as we could. We spent a lot on the quartz counters and a stainless steel gas stove, but we didn’t put all that much thought into selecting a fridge. We chose the model that we did because the front of it was the right color (titanium alloy, though it looked like a match to our stove), and the sides were painted gray instead of black. The fridge is completely exposed in the center of the room, so those gray sides were a big selling point to us. Our entire kitchen — with new everything except the floor — cost only $11,000. Aside from a brief period during which the fridge made a weird noise (it just needed to be re-leveled), it has served us well. Now that the kitchen has been freshened up with all of its white paint though, the fridge bothers me. It isn’t worthy of its focal point placement.

White Kitchen

I’ve always liked the look of vintage fridges, especially when they’re pink. I think that as cute as my laundry room turned out with its colorful appliances, my kitchen could be 10x better. But appliances are not cheap, and I know that buying a pretty new fridge is a little ridiculous when I have a perfectly good one that’s only six years old.

My big life list goal for this year is to land a book deal. It’s a little scary putting that out there because I may fail (and obviously you’ll be able to tell if this does or does not work out for me), but I’m going to work hard to make it happen. And if/when I do, I’ve decided (and Brandon agrees) that I ought to celebrate with the completely frivolous purchase of a cute fridge. Consider it an added incentive.

It’s going to look so good.

Sources & Paint ColorsNeed design help? Let's work together.

You Might Also Like...

Lora
    March 6, 2013 at 8:07 am

I would purchase that book in a heartbeat! Best of luck with your goal!!

Gretchen
    March 6, 2013 at 8:12 am

Sadly, I think 6 years is getting pretty close to the end of the life expectancy of a refrigerator these days. Ours at our old house needed a repair after maybe 7 years, and the repair guy acted like we were throwing our money away fixing such an old refrigerator. Then it died completely a year later. So the bright side of planned appliance obsolescence is that maybe you’ll have an excuse for a new one sooner rather than later! But I hope you have a book deal excuse instead…that’s way more fun than a broken fridge :)

March 6, 2013 at 11:16 am

Six or seven years is such a short life expectancy! Surely they can last longer than that, right? Yikes.

Katie C
        March 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm

OMG Nicole, you can so make this happen! I want to see a pink fridge in that kitchen!!! I’d buy the heck out of your book.

Heather
    March 6, 2013 at 8:41 am

So many of the big bloggers are getting book deals–I bet, now that you put it out there, you will be next! So curious what your concept will be. I’m SURE you have thought about it.

And I love the idea of incentive. When I decided it was time to lose a little weight, my husband told me that for every minute of jump rope, I would get one dollar to put towards something frivolous in the house–and he had no veto power. (Weirdly, I lost the weight but did not jump enough rope to get wallpaper in my powder room. Sometimes the goal itself is enough.)

GOOD LUCK!

March 6, 2013 at 11:17 am

” Sometimes the goal itself is enough.” I like that.

Megan @ Pink O'Clock
    March 6, 2013 at 8:43 am

Perhaps a pink Smeg will be your next fridge?!

And also: I would totally read your book.

March 6, 2013 at 11:25 am

Not a Smeg, because they’re too small, but that’s the look I want.

And thanks!

Joy | Frock Files
    March 6, 2013 at 8:43 am

I say this as someone with a background in publishing: you’re an editor’s dream. You’ve got the ideas, the writing, the eye, and the audience built in. It’s going to be a slam dunk, my friend. xo

March 6, 2013 at 11:26 am

Thank you. Let’s hope there’s a good publisher out there that feels the same way.

Jessica
    March 6, 2013 at 8:54 am

Pink would be fantastic. I will be super jealous!

And you will land that book deal, I’m sure of it!

Are you going to Alt NYC?

March 6, 2013 at 11:28 am

No, I didn’t get tickets for Alt NYC. Did you? I’m sure it will be amazing.

Hege
    March 6, 2013 at 8:55 am

Good luck! We all need goals
    and I think this is a very achievable one.
    Your laundry room is to die for!

Paige
    March 6, 2013 at 8:57 am

ooooohhhhhh GOOD LUCK!!!! Putting it out there is a good step. Can’t wait to see your colorful fridge :)

kristi@SimplePrettyThings
    March 6, 2013 at 9:04 am

Oh my heavens! If you write a book I will buy it! I will pre order it now if you want ;) I hope this all works out for you!

Catherine
    March 6, 2013 at 9:13 am

I will buy that book. (Will, not would!) Even if it involves an exorbitant international shipping fee.

nicole
    March 6, 2013 at 9:15 am

Manifest your dreams, girl! You can do it! :)

Nitya
    March 6, 2013 at 9:28 am

Hey Nicole,
    I would surely definitely buy your book! Good luck with this pursuit!

Ariane
    March 6, 2013 at 9:43 am

Good for you ! best of luck with your book :) take care !

Megan F
    March 6, 2013 at 9:44 am

I can already see your book on my coffee table!

Christine
    March 6, 2013 at 9:50 am

I have no doubt a book deal is in your future and I’d be first in line to purchase!!

Kim @ Yellow Brick Home
    March 6, 2013 at 9:53 am

Aw, I’m thrilled that you put your goal out there. That took major guts. My prediction? It’s totally going to happen.

Jill Browning
    March 6, 2013 at 9:57 am

You’ve totally got this. Better start picking out which one you want. ;)

Heather P.
    March 6, 2013 at 10:11 am

Best of luck with getting a book deal…I’m sure you’ll get one – you’re a great writer! I totally see a pink fridge in your kitchen…I think it would add the splash of color in there to balance out all that white!

Heather
    March 6, 2013 at 10:37 am

Where can I pre-order a copy? I think a book deal is right around the corner. Go get it! :)

Cindy
    March 6, 2013 at 10:44 am

This took courage. I am rooting for you and your pink fridge.

erin
    March 6, 2013 at 11:05 am

I have never purchased a blogger book before but I would make a paid pre-order, yesterday, for your book!

Mary
    March 6, 2013 at 11:11 am

No doubt you’ll land a book deal!

Question: How practical would a Smeg fridge be? They look rather small. Would the cuteness really be worth downsizing?

March 6, 2013 at 11:15 am

Smeg fridges are adorable, but too small. Northstar and Big Chill both make modern fridges in larger sizes that look vintage and come in lots of colors.

Janine
    March 6, 2013 at 11:36 am

I would buy the crap out of your book. I bought the Young House Love book, a Dooce book, The Bloggess book and BY GAR I would buy yours too. TAKE MY MONEY. Publishers, TAKE MY MONEY.

Also, I think your book would be suuuuper stylin’.

Chelsea Wilson
    March 6, 2013 at 11:59 am

Good luck!

Mercedes
    March 6, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Why not sell it? Get a little moola for it that you can put towards a super cutie one!

March 6, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I could sell it. Not until after a new fridge was here to replace it though!

Jenn
    March 6, 2013 at 12:13 pm

DIY paint current fridge pink…that way those of us who are too afraid to paint our own refrigerators can live vicariously through your brave endeavor…:-)

March 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I knew someone would suggest that! It’s not just the color that I like though — it’s the different shape.

Cassondra Wiebe
    March 6, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Good to take big risks and raise the stakes! Glad you’re pursuing your dreams! I would buy your book.

Lori
    March 6, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Will be anxiously waiting both a preorder date for your book, and the big reveal of the pink fridge on the blog. It will happen for you. When I saw your contribution in the YHL book, I got very excited :). Good luck…you can make this happen!

Anna Newell Jones
    March 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I’m rooting for you Nicole!! I’m a firm believer in putting it out there to make it happen!

Ann
    March 6, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Saw a retro-look fridge at HomeGoods recently! It was mint green and if memory serves, not overly expensive. It was definitely drool-worthy.

Christina
    March 6, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I want your book, but I REALLY REALLY want you to get a cute fridge!!

emily @ go haus go
    March 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm

This took courage! I absolutely would buy your book! And I love your dedication to your Life List. This is the type of list making we all should do.

Sarah
    March 6, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Ah! Well done to you for putting it out there! That takes guts.

And I WILL SO buy that book!

Sarah

sarah k
    March 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Love it that you have a goal in mind and were willing to share. I would definitely buy your book and would love to see that pink fridge in your home. Enjoy your day.

Debra
    March 6, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Nicole, if anyone deserves a book deal, it’s *you*. There are those out there w/ far less (none, even!) talent (I think they talked their way into it) who get book deals. And that trees are cut down to provide the paper on which these books are printed, is a crime! Alright I sound a tad overly…something. Thing is, I do so much hope you get the book deal and your new fridge, too!

Liz
    March 6, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I’ve never commented before but this seemed an opportune moment to say I love your blog and would love your book! And, I confess that I completely copied your kitchen when I redid mine (although much tinier.) You can do it!

Mari, Small for Big
    March 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm

We were “in line” together at Chronicle Books’ round table at Alt Summit – I’m sure you’ll find a publisher!! Far sooner than I will. ;) All the best luck in the world to you!

Catherine
    March 6, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Yay for book deals and pink fridges! I will definitely pre-order your book!

Justine
    March 6, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Good for you for:
    a. Working towards your goal!
    b. Being wise with your money and not just splurging because you want to!

Laura
    March 6, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Totally buying your book, lady! ;)

Holly
    March 6, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Go girl!!! Way to be!

Sarah.
    March 6, 2013 at 7:59 pm

(I would totally buy your book. In a heartbeat.)

AnnW
    March 6, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I’ll buy your book, several copies in fact! Then you can buy a new fridge and move the old one to the basement. It will die soon enough anyway. They just don’t last like they used to. Ann

Ilaria
    March 7, 2013 at 1:17 am

Go for it girl! You can do it!!

Lydia
    March 7, 2013 at 2:10 am

Good luck!

Kristen
    March 7, 2013 at 5:19 am

You could donate the old fridge if it’s still in good working order. Habitat for Humanity runs thrift stores that are always looking for exactly that sort of thing. Good, used large appliances are hard to come by because most people keep them until they break.

Tommie UK
    March 7, 2013 at 5:46 am

LOL buying a beautiful piece of decorative appliance truly is a great incentive to get that book deal. I’ve followed your blog for some time now and I can say that your kitchen’s repainting looked a lot better in this post. Did you change anything, or is it just the perspective. Either way, nice work, and good luck on landing a book deal!

Corrin
    March 7, 2013 at 6:21 am

I work for an independent publisher in Austin. If you want to talk, email me! I know we’d love to have you on our imprint.

Carey
    March 7, 2013 at 8:27 am

Ooh — I’ve lusted for a Big Chill orange refrigerator for YEARS!! Someday, it will be mine. I hope your book deal and pink fridge arrive soon!

shells
    March 7, 2013 at 10:49 am

PLEASE write a book!!! I love your style and innovative ideas. But I’ve gotta say that I’ve had a life-long aversion to the color pink, HATE it!!!, but after reading your blog for a while now I sometimes catch myself liking anything in a dusty pale rose color (I’m still fighting it!), and your decorating with this color is beyond awesome…..you must have some Jedi mind-meld (thanks Obama- love it!) powers going on. I can’t wait to see if you get a cool color fridge.

Brittany Lauren
    March 7, 2013 at 11:04 am

Putting your fear out there is scary but I’m sure in a year from now, you’ll be happy you did! It’s exciting and good luck on the journey! The new fridge will be in the house before you know it!

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet
    March 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I too like the look of the vintage fridge…reminds me of the ACTUAL vintage fridge we had growing up (1920’s fridge…the freezer was the size of most new fridge’s produce drawer).

Good mojo for you on a book deal. I would definitely add that book to my coffee table!

Danielle
    March 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm

You know, this is a little off subject from the awesome vintage fridge and colored door, but that nook where you have your mixer would look so good with a splash of color also. Just something unexpected, you know?

March 15, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I think that’s what I’m going to do. I left it yellow for now, which doesn’t look bad, but it doesn’t look great either.

jjzach
    March 7, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I liked the look of the cute colorful fridges when we re-did our kitchen. We did find that when we saw them in person that they didn’t seem very well made, so be sure to take a look in person.

Jennifer Laura
    March 7, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Yay!! A Making It Lovely book- this needs to happen!

sheridan
    March 7, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Why not contact the fridge?! And yeah paint the back door for a cheap injection of color :o)

Jennifer
    March 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Hi Nicole!
    When I look at that pic of your kithen..that side of the fridge is screaming out for you to paint it with Chalk Paint (black or if you dare, hot pink).
    Don’t you think?

It’s perfect.
    : )
    Jennifer

March 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I’m not a big fan of chalk board paint! Blogger sacrilege, I know.

Tiffany
    March 8, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I’ve always liked the Big Chill fridges too! I recently moved to an area that isn’t too far from one of their showrooms, so I’ve gotten to see them in person. They are big fridges, but the inside seemed small…I was disappointed to learn that you’re really just paying for the exterior look (which I guess is a no brainer) but I wish the inside was nicer too (it was so basic and rather cheap looking) – especially for that price. I hope I don’t sound like a downer because I think having that as a wish is wonderful…I was just let down. Good luck on the book deal, that would such an amazing experience!

Verity
    March 11, 2013 at 2:30 am

It’s been a long weekend here in Australia and I’ve spent it reading your blog from page 114 all the way to 1 (114 to 50 yesterday and the rest today). I’ve enjoyed being immersed in your little world and the transformation of your home over the years. It gives me so many ideas about what to do in my own home in terms of decorating (newly-built so no renovating required) and to not shy away from bold colours and patterns. Now off to order those curtains I’ve been dreaming about…

Cherie
    March 11, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Dear Nicole,
    my inner abstractness is calling out a little poem:

Northstar French Door
    think.
    To the Outside
    Stripes Horizontal Wide
    Pink.

As for the book, check out “Dinner: a love story” by
    blogger Rosenstrach. You also write this way; warmhearted
    and drawing us into your welcoming world.
    I am imagining this Balch-style in a design book.
    Looking forward to it.
    With love, Mrs. H.

Cherie Again
      March 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Ooh, okay, I just saw the wide lens of your kitchen. Now that I
      see the bathroom door my poem will need revision! Instead of painting
      the back door to match the fridge, put the paint on the bathroom
      door, say, maybe yellow. Something to enhance the beautiful
      sweet pink Northstar….
      Nix the stripes.
      teehee
      Love, Mrs. H.

March 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I meant to tell you earlier — your poem was fantastic! And I’m going to read that book, too. The first post I found of hers when looking her up was this one, and I was hooked. Thank you.

Melanie
    March 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Put it out there into the universe. :) That’s aways a good thing. Can’t wait to buy your book. xo

Audrey
    March 13, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Have you considered using a fun colored appliance paint on the grey sides to add some color temporarily without having to splurge on a new appliance?

March 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Yes, but it’s the shape that I love of the other appliances too, not just the color.