A Colorful Door, Colorful Appliances

(And a Big Goal)

I was thinking some more about lighting, and the plan for finishing the kitchen’s minor update. OK, really what I was doing was fixating on getting a new fridge in addition to painting the back door. A colorful door and a colorful appliance! Sounds perfect! While I was giving myself figurative back pats for so confidently deciding on a plan for the kitchen, I realized I’ve seen that combination somewhere before. On Pinterest, probably? No wait, it was somewhere else…

Laundry Room

Oh, right. In our laundry room. You know — that room right in my house? Duh.

The red washer and dryer were the nicest things in our basement for a very long time, until we elevated the surroundings with a remodel. When we finally did have a nice laundry room, I was extra glad that we spent a little more initially to get a red set instead of white.

Brandon and I took on our DIY kitchen remodel right away when we moved here in 2007, and we tried to keep the cost down as much as we could. We spent a lot on the quartz counters and a stainless steel gas stove, but we didn’t put all that much thought into selecting a fridge. We chose the model that we did because the front of it was the right color (titanium alloy, though it looked like a match to our stove), and the sides were painted gray instead of black. The fridge is completely exposed in the center of the room, so those gray sides were a big selling point to us. Our entire kitchen — with new everything except the floor — cost only $11,000. Aside from a brief period during which the fridge made a weird noise (it just needed to be re-leveled), it has served us well. Now that the kitchen has been freshened up with all of its white paint though, the fridge bothers me. It isn’t worthy of its focal point placement.

White Kitchen

I’ve always liked the look of vintage fridges, especially when they’re pink. I think that as cute as my laundry room turned out with its colorful appliances, my kitchen could be 10x better. But appliances are not cheap, and I know that buying a pretty new fridge is a little ridiculous when I have a perfectly good one that’s only six years old.

My big life list goal for this year is to land a book deal. It’s a little scary putting that out there because I may fail (and obviously you’ll be able to tell if this does or does not work out for me), but I’m going to work hard to make it happen. And if/when I do, I’ve decided (and Brandon agrees) that I ought to celebrate with the completely frivolous purchase of a cute fridge. Consider it an added incentive.

It’s going to look so good.

80 Responses to “A Colorful Door, Colorful Appliances”

1. Brittany Lauren March 7, 2013 at 11:04 am #

Putting your fear out there is scary but I’m sure in a year from now, you’ll be happy you did! It’s exciting and good luck on the journey! The new fridge will be in the house before you know it!

2. Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet March 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

I too like the look of the vintage fridge…reminds me of the ACTUAL vintage fridge we had growing up (1920’s fridge…the freezer was the size of most new fridge’s produce drawer).

Good mojo for you on a book deal. I would definitely add that book to my coffee table!

3. Danielle March 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

You know, this is a little off subject from the awesome vintage fridge and colored door, but that nook where you have your mixer would look so good with a splash of color also. Just something unexpected, you know?

• Making it Lovely March 15, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I think that’s what I’m going to do. I left it yellow for now, which doesn’t look bad, but it doesn’t look great either.

4. jjzach March 7, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

I liked the look of the cute colorful fridges when we re-did our kitchen. We did find that when we saw them in person that they didn’t seem very well made, so be sure to take a look in person.

5. Jennifer Laura March 7, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

Yay!! A Making It Lovely book- this needs to happen!

6. sheridan March 7, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

Why not contact the fridge?! And yeah paint the back door for a cheap injection of color :o)

7. Jennifer March 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Hi Nicole!
    When I look at that pic of your kithen..that side of the fridge is screaming out for you to paint it with Chalk Paint (black or if you dare, hot pink).
    Don’t you think?

It’s perfect.
    : )
    Jennifer

• Making it Lovely March 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

I’m not a big fan of chalk board paint! Blogger sacrilege, I know.

8. Tiffany March 8, 2013 at 4:44 pm #

I’ve always liked the Big Chill fridges too! I recently moved to an area that isn’t too far from one of their showrooms, so I’ve gotten to see them in person. They are big fridges, but the inside seemed small…I was disappointed to learn that you’re really just paying for the exterior look (which I guess is a no brainer) but I wish the inside was nicer too (it was so basic and rather cheap looking) – especially for that price. I hope I don’t sound like a downer because I think having that as a wish is wonderful…I was just let down. Good luck on the book deal, that would such an amazing experience!

9. Verity March 11, 2013 at 2:30 am #

It’s been a long weekend here in Australia and I’ve spent it reading your blog from page 114 all the way to 1 (114 to 50 yesterday and the rest today). I’ve enjoyed being immersed in your little world and the transformation of your home over the years. It gives me so many ideas about what to do in my own home in terms of decorating (newly-built so no renovating required) and to not shy away from bold colours and patterns. Now off to order those curtains I’ve been dreaming about…

10. Cherie March 11, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

Dear Nicole,
    my inner abstractness is calling out a little poem:

Northstar French Door
    think.
    To the Outside
    Stripes Horizontal Wide
    Pink.

As for the book, check out “Dinner: a love story” by
    blogger Rosenstrach. You also write this way; warmhearted
    and drawing us into your welcoming world.
    I am imagining this Balch-style in a design book.
    Looking forward to it.
    With love, Mrs. H.

• Cherie Again March 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

Ooh, okay, I just saw the wide lens of your kitchen. Now that I
      see the bathroom door my poem will need revision! Instead of painting
      the back door to match the fridge, put the paint on the bathroom
      door, say, maybe yellow. Something to enhance the beautiful
      sweet pink Northstar….
      Nix the stripes.
      teehee
      Love, Mrs. H.

• Making it Lovely March 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

I meant to tell you earlier — your poem was fantastic! And I’m going to read that book, too. The first post I found of hers when looking her up was this one, and I was hooked. Thank you.

11. Melanie March 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

Put it out there into the universe. :) That’s aways a good thing. Can’t wait to buy your book. xo

12. Audrey March 13, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

Have you considered using a fun colored appliance paint on the grey sides to add some color temporarily without having to splurge on a new appliance?

• Making it Lovely March 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

Yes, but it’s the shape that I love of the other appliances too, not just the color.