Hallway Runner Options

There’s a new vintage runner in the entryway downstairs (I’ll have to rephotograph the area and share soon), and I’ve turned my attention toward the hall on the second floor. I don’t want to keep the wood floor bare because the kids slip on it when they have socks on, and Murray has a hard time getting traction on slick surfaces. Plus, a little protection for the original floors couldn’t hurt, especially in high-traffic areas.

The UpstairsHallway #makingitlovely

We had gray FLOR tiles in the dining room at the old house, so I brought them out to give ‘em a go. The chimney chase juts out into the hallway here, and there’s an angled wall opposite, so I like that I can custom-fit the runner to the space. (Obviously I would trim a couple of tiles to mimic the angled section.)

Hallway Jog #makingitlovely

I liked the carpet as an 8×10, but the seams are really obvious as a runner. Part of that could be because the pieces have been rearranged though, and maybe if they were stuck together they would wear evenly and that effect would fade. (Anyone have experience with reusing and rearranging them that can weigh in here?) The gray color isn’t doing it for me either, but does that warrant get newer prettier ones in a different color or pattern when we already own these? Although we don’t have enough to extend the runner as far as I’d like, and this style has been discontinued. (Justification!)

Hallway with FLOR #makingitlovely

There is a pink and white plastic runner from the old house that we also already own, which I used briefly in the finished basement’s craft space. It’s cute, but a little on the narrow side. We would need another one for the rest of the hall, and I don’t know if I’m loving it so much that I’d want a second one. And then what do we do at that jog in the hall? Side by side? Slight overlap or gap?

Pink Runner in the Hallway #makingitlovely

A lot of these houses end up with wall-to-wall carpet in the hallways. I’m not sold on the idea, but it’s an option. Use the existing FLOR tiles we have, use new FLOR tiles, buy a second matching pink runner and use those, lay carpeting, find two other runners (wool would be nice)… there are plenty of options. What would you do?

91 Responses to “Hallway Runner Options”

1. Amy January 30, 2014 at 12:52 pm #

I’m gonna say something different. If it were me, I would put in wall-to-wall carpet, perhaps a sisal or a natural weave like that. The wood floor runs perpendicular to the hallway which looks odd to me, so I don’t think it would be much of a sin to cover it up completely. The layout with all the juts and angles will only be more emphasized with a runner that has the same juts and angles.

2. Becca January 30, 2014 at 1:18 pm #

Any wall to wall rug can be cut and installed as a runner – think about how they install carpet on stairs… you could do the same thing on a flat run of floor keeping a wood floor reveal on the sides which would look great. An added benefit is if installed rather than laid over a chintzy carpet pad, the rug won’t move as kids, dogs and husbands run all over it. Just think of the options!! Any carpet at a carpet store would do!

3. Amber @ Wills Casa January 30, 2014 at 1:31 pm #

That’s a tough one. I’m trying to figure out what we should do for our merging hallways at the kids room (the half bath splits off and then there’s the stairs too). I was wondering if I could pull off a layered rug look, but seems impossible since it’s such a narrow space. Then you’ve got the curves. I’m just now realizing I have zero advice for this. Let me know what you do, so I will have a starting place with ours!

4. judy January 30, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

You might look at an upscale carpet store for a remnant-and have them either bind it for a wide runner that leaves a small margin on the sides-or just cut it yourself. These are usually highly negotiable price wise as they just want to get rid of them. We did this and didn’t even have to have it bound it was so expensive(originally) and thick that the sides just vacuumed flat and looked finished. It served our purpose because at the time we were renting.

5. Shelley January 30, 2014 at 8:10 pm #

I agree with the commenter on Persian runners. Go with tribal runners from ebay. We have a similar hallway and I used 2 complimentary patterned tribal rugs in our hall and the gorgeous colors brighten up the wood floor and baseboards, minimize pet hair, are timeless, and are thick enough that they are cushiony and don’t need a pad underneath. We bought both from an ebay seller for under $200. Lose the gray Flor tiles. They are depressing.

6. Allison January 31, 2014 at 7:17 am #

I have flor tiles in two high traffic spots in my house, and the seams do look much more obvious when you first rearrange. You definitely need new flor dots – reset the tiles on new dots with tight seams. Then give it a week or two and the carpet backing will level back out and the seams will be less noticeable.

I love the gray tiles, but think the current 2 tile wide consideration might be too wide. Maybe get a contrasting pretty color (or even just a few shades lighter gray?) cut into 1/3s and make a border to a single gray tile width. Then you’ll have enough gray to do the full hallway. Love how it is coming along!

• Meredith February 12, 2014 at 9:29 pm #

Love this idea! You could even do a pattern for the border. You could keep the gray tiles and only have to buy a few more to add the border. I might end up doing this in my house, haha!

7. lsaspacey January 31, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

Buy some more Flor titles that will coordinate/contrast with the existing ones, then mix them up. The color changes (fading) from tile to tile will no longer matter.

8. Norah January 31, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

I didn’t comb through all the other comments, so forgive me if I am parroting someone. Contingent on how many more squares you need, I would get complimentary Flor squares in another color and do a pattern (stripes, checkerboard, or even just a random one here and there). It looks a little industrial carpet the way it is, so add fun color into the mix, and it won’t be as expensive as buying all new.

9. Erin February 4, 2014 at 8:43 am #

I like the option of picking a carpet or sisal or whatever you want from a carpeting/flooring store and having it custom cut and bound to fit the hall with your wood floors still showing on the sides and not marked up by having carpet actually installed over them. That is how all the carpeting is in my mother’s home over her hardwoods- the carpet roll up like any other area rug but cut to fit the angle of the room they look as though they belong there instead of being pieced together. Though… smaller, overlapping patterned vintage rugs could be cool too. I feel like I’ve seen that sort of thing done as well but might have to be carpet taped together.

10. alissa February 5, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

I would buy a pretty remnant of carpet. (Or a few to make patterns) They are less expensive and then you can cut it to fit, join it on the bottom and get the best of everything. Different than Flor tiles, which I love, because you can save big bucks and still get a totally custom look. You could even go shag ;) There are a few cool pics and DIY’s running around on the interwebs… Search topographical carpets and drool at the Mondrian inspired, bird’s eye view maps, and stained glass pretties…

This one in particular would be a very cool prospect and totally unique to your space and colors. Check out the runner!

1. The Entryway (Again), with its New (Old) Runner | Making it Lovely - January 31, 2014

[…] forget about the not-so-pretty photos from yesterday, and instead look at a runner that IS […]