'R' for Rugs Double Parlor The Victorian House

Black and Blue

Ever borrow something from a friend, and then after seeing how good it looks on you, you wish you didn’t have to give it back? That’s kind of the situation here, except it’s my house that’s wearing the borrowed item. A rug, in this case. And a couple of pillows.

Teal Sofa, Black Walls, Blue Loloi Rug | Making it Lovely

I’d been seeing Loloi popping up in the design world a lot lately, and when they reached out about a potential partnership, we decided that it would be fun to feature one of their rugs by styling it in my home. I chose one of my favorites (JO-10 in indigo/blue, from their new Journey collection) and it was on its way here.

Pink Tulips

Teal Sofa, Black Walls, Blue Loloi Rug | Making it Lovely

Loloi has rugs in a huge variety of styles. I almost went with their Sahara rug, but I thought it would be fun to try out something with a more saturated color palette. The blue is so beautiful, isn’t it? I wasn’t sure how it would play against my sofa, but it’s working. Oh, yes it is.

Teal Sofa, Black Walls, Blue Loloi Rug | Making it Lovely

Since everything was sent on loan to be photographed, it will be on its way back to Loloi soon and I’ll be sad to see it go. The floors are bare throughout most of the first floor right now and I’d forgotten how nice it is to have a soft, plush rug underfoot, let alone one so pretty. I find myself standing in the doorway, checking out the room the way you might put on something new and check yourself out in the mirror. Lookin’ good, room.

Loloi Pillows and Rug

Teal Sofa, Black Walls, Blue Loloi Rug | Making it Lovely

The pillows by Loloi will be in stores soon, and I think that at the very least I’m going to need to get one of those multicolored pillows for keeps. The rugs are available now though, in retailers across the nation and online through sites like Wayfair and Rugs Direct.

Teal Sofa, Black Walls, Blue Loloi Rug | Making it Lovely

So fun to see the room dressed a bit differently, and rugs always have the power to really change a room. What do you think? Are you liking the black and blue together in the room as much as I am?

You Might Also Like...

Jane
    March 12, 2015 at 8:41 am

The room looks better than ever! The rug really ties the room together.

Laura @ RatherSquare.com
    March 12, 2015 at 8:48 am

I do really like the saturated tones of this rug – it gives the room a nice cozy feel. :)

Annelies
    March 12, 2015 at 10:55 am

What a great match ! The room looks so inviting…

Becky Fuller
    March 12, 2015 at 12:11 pm

I see it as white and gold…sorry! I couldn’t resist!

Sarah
    March 12, 2015 at 12:14 pm

That room looks so cozy! I would never think of putting a darker blue rug in there, but it seriously works!

Sarah

Making it Lovely
      March 13, 2015 at 9:30 am

Yeah, normally I would pair a dark rug like that with lighter walls (white, pale pink, pale blue, mint…), but it’s really working in the space!

Hannah S
    March 12, 2015 at 12:51 pm

This couch is gorgeous. I like the rug but I think it looks much nicer just against wood floor :)

Mary
    March 12, 2015 at 1:40 pm

You’re lucky you can try out a rug from a website without having to deal with all those pesky return shipping charges.
    But I think you should just buy it. It’s perfect for that space. Anything else you look at in the future will never measure up.

Making it Lovely
      March 13, 2015 at 9:33 am

I can imagine a few others that would look equally good — just different. I am considering buying this style, but I would still send this one back. The room can handle a rug one size larger, so I would buy a 9×12 instead of an 8×10.

Sam
    March 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm

That is the exact rug I’ve been stalking. It looks lovely in your house. I’m saving up so that someday it might look lovely in mine too ;)

judy
    March 12, 2015 at 2:25 pm

this makes me think of the times I added something from my closet to an outfit and had it change from good enough to finished and much prettier. I love the way the rug, the pillows and especially the pink tulips just put the last brushstrokes to a very pretty picture. Pink also seems to love blue.

Making it Lovely
      March 13, 2015 at 9:34 am

I like that analogy. And yes, pink does very much love blue.

Sarah
    March 12, 2015 at 2:55 pm

I love this! Does it bump up against the fireplace?

Making it Lovely
      March 13, 2015 at 9:37 am

It does. The rug I brought back from Morocco is the only one that is long and skinny enough (because those vintage rugs tend to be shaped that way) to fit without bumping up against it. It’s a little small for the space though, which is why the floors have been bare most of the time. If I were to bring in this, or any other new rug, I think I would buy a 9×12, and then cut one corner off and bind the rug so it will be custom fit to the space. It’s kind of a scary thing to do though, because then you lose the option of shuffling things around and using the rug somewhere else someday.

Sarah
        March 13, 2015 at 12:23 pm

But I never even thought about cutting a rug as an option! You are so clever :) It is scary but that room is so lovely it would be worth it!

Merced
    March 12, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Looks great. Can you remind us where you got the round coffee table? Thank you!

Making it Lovely
      March 13, 2015 at 9:38 am

It was from the Crate & Barrel outlet store a few years back.

Mimi
    March 12, 2015 at 8:18 pm

The room looks great! I hope they give you a big discount at least.

Deb
    March 12, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Oh yeah, that works!

Cassidy
    March 13, 2015 at 2:20 am

I dunno, looks white and gold to me…

Laura
    March 13, 2015 at 12:00 pm

The rug is perfect as you have it displayed. How does it look from the library? I’d love to see a picture from that angle through the doorway.

Sarah
    March 13, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Looking at these pictures has made me love the wood trim. Even in my own house where the trim is not of good quality and since we’re renting we can’t paint it. That’s how amazing this room looks!

Sava
    March 13, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I’m not quite sold on the dark rug, dark walls and dark couch combo, although I think each is lovely on its own.

Either this is a knockoff, or the pillow is already available at UO.

katie
    March 13, 2015 at 4:43 pm

i never am sure of what size rug i need for a room. In a living room the rug should be large enough to fit under all the furniture, right? Not end before? for example sofa legs on the rug? or should the rug even continue to come out from behind the sofa table? What about the secretary against the wall? Maybe? Ugh!!!

Jordan Troublefield
    March 13, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Never thought of this color combo!! LOVE

Zoryana
    March 13, 2015 at 10:01 pm

I love how you paired the rug with the couch. It’s definitely not something I would have thought would work, but in your space it looks absolutely beautiful, cozy, and inviting!

Deb
    March 13, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Even before getting to your question at the end, I was thinking I really like the combo of the black walls and the color – the blues, pinks in the furniture and the rug. Just enough pattern too.

Where did you get your shutters? I don’t like the shutters that build big frames around the windows – I have wood frames like yours and have wanted just simple shutters that attach to the window frame with hinges.

Michelle
    March 14, 2015 at 9:47 am

I would totally keep that rug! I love how it looks in your space. So cozy and inviting.

Kate
    March 14, 2015 at 11:33 am

I absolutely love the look!

Rebecca
    March 16, 2015 at 11:10 am

I bought that larger, nubby, textured pillow a few weeks ago from urban outfitters and I LOVE it! It’s going in my upcoming nursery as it has all the colors from my design board. Love the looks of those pillows and rug in your room :)

Kristi
    March 16, 2015 at 11:16 am

I like this rug. If you like it why don’t you just bite the bullet and purchase it?

Kristen
    March 16, 2015 at 2:15 pm

I want this rug for my living room! :) Looks awesome.

Jenny Ryan
    March 24, 2015 at 1:45 am

GIRL. This rug looks SO GOOD. You for real gotta get it back!

The Moroccan Rug | Making it Lovely
    March 25, 2015 at 10:40 am

[…] blue rug that I styled here recently, while beautiful, has been returned. Going back to bare floors after […]

Annie
    March 27, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Love this look and currently obsessed with Loloi! I work for Bellacor.com, an eCommerce site and we just recently launched Loloi on our site!! They have some amazing rugs and pillows! http://www.bellacor.com/loloi.htm

Styling Anastasia | Making it Lovely
    September 30, 2015 at 10:56 am

[…] remember the blue Journey rug from Loloi that I styled a while back, right? I love the chance to play dress-up with my house, so I was excited about switching things […]

A Look Back at 2015 | Making it Lovely
    December 22, 2015 at 11:01 am

[…] Year. Of. Many. Rugs. (Kidding! Sort […]

One Room Challenge: Week 4 (Rugs, Curtains, Bedding, and Other Fabrics) – Making it Lovely
    April 27, 2016 at 8:35 am

[…] everything else. Initially, I had thought about maybe using the Journey rug that I’d styled in our living room. Once I decided to paint the walls that color though, adding a matching rug would have been too […]

Color in Home Design is Trending – Making it Lovely
    December 19, 2016 at 11:17 am

[…] The design world is embracing color again! Kohler is predicting that three colors in particular are trending: vivid greens (definitely big for this year), deep pinks, and velvety blues. I’ve incorporated all three in my living room. […]