28 July 9, 2009

Jolly Green Giants

The giant green planters that I had originally bought to flank our front door have found their place on the patio. The first is over by the egg chair.

Our Yard

I love the way the garden is filling in over there, but I think I like it more for the potential I see. There are hydrangeas planted to the left of the chair, but you can’t even see them in the photo because they are so teeny tiny! They’ll be beautiful when they eventually fill in, but I have a feeling it’s going to take a looong time.

The other planter is near the back stairs.

Our Yard

That area needs a little work. I want a boxwood in that white pot, and eventually we would like to close off the opening under the stairs with a gate (so we can still access the space for storage). It’s something we’ve wanted to do for a long time because it would look so much nicer, but next year it will be a safety issue when Eleanor plays in the yard.

Anyway, don’t the planters look nice out on the patio? I’m almost glad they didn’t pan out for the front porch. Almost.

Amanda Nicole
    July 9, 2009 at 10:09 am

I love the little sanctuary you’ve created around the egg chair! So inviting. And those green pots are gorgeous!

jen
    July 9, 2009 at 10:37 am

it might be worth having the baby portraits taken out there to see her growth AND the growth in the back yard. My parents did this with my siblings and trees planted at their birth in our back yard.

jbhat
    July 9, 2009 at 10:44 am

I have the black planter like that by my front door. It looks great. Yours look beautiful too, right where they are.

That egg chair makes me crazy with envy. LOVE that you get to have it!

tara
    July 9, 2009 at 11:01 am

Where did you find the green planter? I’ve been searching for something similar. Thanks! Love the yard!

Beth@321home
    July 9, 2009 at 11:31 am

IMO that planter is too big next to your egg chair. I say that with a bit of hesitancy, because you’re much better at decorating than I am, but that’s my 2 cents.

Making it Lovely
    July 9, 2009 at 11:39 am

Yeah, it’s a little big… although there is some forced perspective going on in that photo. I think it looks nice when you can see the yard as a whole.

Tara, the planter is from IKEA.

And Jen, that’s a good idea!

Laura
    July 9, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I think it looks beautiful. I’m in the same boat with my hydrangeas – I had visions of big, full, hydrangea bushes by this point in the summer and I basically have the same teeny plant I planted back in May! Good luck!

B
    July 9, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Have no fear about the hydrangeas. I planted two last year, and they’ve already doubled in size. Just make sure you cut them back at the end of the season.

Kimberly
    July 9, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Tha tall green planter is fabulous! The whole place looks great! I want to curl up in that egg chair right now :)

robin
    July 9, 2009 at 1:27 pm

i want an egg chair!

kasey at thriftylittleblog
    July 9, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I love a green planter by a garden. The size of those is especially nice.

Kat
    July 9, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Your garden is gorgeous. I remember your work-in-progress photos.. inspiring as I have no ‘green thumb’

Kelly S.
    July 9, 2009 at 3:05 pm

That egg chair & surrounding garden is so wonderful, it makes me want to kick you. And I mean that in the very nicest way possible! ;)

Natalie
    July 9, 2009 at 3:08 pm

This is just beautiful! What a fabulous outdoor space :)

Jessibee
    July 9, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I really like that chair.

Erica
    July 9, 2009 at 4:57 pm

where are those pillows from? they are adorable!

Jenni
    July 9, 2009 at 7:23 pm

that egg chair is one of the cutest/most amazing things i have ever seen!

Nicole
    July 9, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I love, love, love the egg chair!

yansy
    July 9, 2009 at 9:31 pm

I love how everything is coming along. You guys have done an amazing job and that green planter looks amazing next to the egg chair.

Ali
    July 9, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that planter looks crooked?
    My hydrangea at the beginning of summer (year two) seemed to be no bigger until all of a sudden it doubled in size also, I am guessing by year 3 it will be hip high.
    PS I always try not to envy your egg chair too much.

Keri
    July 10, 2009 at 9:33 am

Love the planters and your garden is looking so beautiful!

Nuit
    July 10, 2009 at 9:45 am

I like the way the planters work in the backyard, I really do…. your porch is perfect as it is, in my opinion, the planters definitely belong where they are, that one by the egg chair really makes a statement! great job!

Krysten
    July 10, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Looks amazing!

Kim
    July 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Adorable! Will you share the source for the pillows? :)

Rosalind
    July 11, 2009 at 4:00 am

LOVE this little corner – new to your blog, thanks to Sarah Jane. That green was my bridesmaid colour 6.5yrs ago :-) Love, love, love the egg chair.. I’d like to read there!

Jeanne
    July 17, 2009 at 9:39 am

Hi!! I love your backyard. May I ask, how do you take care of the egg chair in the winter? Do you take it inside? I live in DC, and would love to decorate my patio, but don’t know whether the wet, cold DC winters and wet, wet, wet DC springs will do to the furniture. Thanks!!

Renee
    July 17, 2009 at 11:11 am

I know you’ve already gotten plenty of advice about the hydrangeas, but be careful pruning them. I’ve always left mine pretty much alone and they double in size from one year to the next. Pruning them can remove next year’s flower buds, and the flowers are what make them so special!

...love Maegan
    July 17, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I cannot wait to have a backyard …soon. These are gorgeous! as is your blog!